Another problem with my Toyota.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my Tacoma will be having the power steering pump replaced next week. It seems that I noticed a leak that would be hard to see unless you keep your motor squeaky clean like me.
grin.gif
Anyways warnings go out to fellow Yota owners since this isn't a isolated thing. If you keep the motor clean it will be easy to spot as a weeping from hose to rack, which is actually from the front seal.

So in 16000 miles I have had:

Drivers side door leak. Fixed. Leak was traveling under seal and exiting into cab. Reapllied more sealant under seal.

Power steering pump to be replaced.

Recall on front lower ball joints to be done.

IMO this is unacceptable! I don't know manufacturer of pump and the ball joints are a Japanese company. The door seal is the good ol UAW thanks again UAW workers!
mad.gif

The remark from the advisor is, "its a domestic built, you will have issues".

Needless to say they will get hammered by me this coming week. Thanks again UAW! You continue to not impress me one bit!
mad.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 16300
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 10w30 ODO 96200
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

[ June 11, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

My sqeakey clean
grin.gif
01 4Runner has 76,000 (not even broken in) and zero issues or problems.

When I'm 50 miles from pavement I'm glad it was made in Japan.

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

**** bro. Sounds like you got a lemon. I have an 01 Double cab 4x4 with 60k miles on it & have never had a problem. Awesome Truck IMO.

Pattern failures, that is, problems which are common to a certain make and model of vehicle, are more indicative of an engineering problem than an assembly problem.

For a pattern failure to be caused by assembly would require that the assembly be performed incorrectly the same way multiple times. If that's what's happening then someone was likely given incorrect instructions/specifications.

Here's an example of a pattern failure caused either by an engineering problem or incorrect specifications/instructions:

87-89 Ford Mustangs equipped with foglights will overheat the headlight circuit when the foglights are on, resulting in the thermal breaker tripping and the headlights turning off. This is due to a 14 gauge wire where a 12 gauge wire should have been used.

The wire size specified by the wiring diagram--printed straight from Ford's computer tapes--for that particular circuit is 14 gauge. Whomever made the wiring harnesses for Ford probably used that same wiring diagram as their instructions on how it was to be built. The predictable result is a harness that was made to specifications, but has a headlight circuit that does not work correctly.

You can give a master carpenter a blueprint, and tell him to make 10 of whatever that blueprint says to make, and if that blueprint is wrong, then all 10 will be wrong.

Garbage in, garbage out. It applies to more than just computers.

I see you've gotten the 2.7 4 banger. Wait until it gets to about, say 60-80,000 miles and the CSK starts! I have a 2002 DC which will turn 100,000 next month. No problems except the CSK. Don't know if I'll even carry it in for the "scratch on the ball joint recall," since most of the pictures of failures on the net are of tundras. Love my truck.

Honestly I think you are over-reacting. Most failures occur in the first few thousand miles.

Recall..no big deal..it happens all of the time. Doesn't mean that a failure is imminent. Its like your Doc doing lots of tests on you bc of liability issues.

Door seal pffff..

O.K. so a pump seal failed..again I don't see anything that smacks of lack of quality.

I have a Toyota Truck and it needed a starter well before its time it also lost a timing chain at 85K. At 95K and almost 12 years though its been a rock for reliability.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
Well my Tacoma will be having the power steering pump replaced next week. It seems that I noticed a leak that would be hard to see unless you keep your motor squeaky clean like me.
grin.gif
Anyways warnings go out to fellow Yota owners since this isn't a isolated thing. If you keep the motor clean it will be easy to spot as a weeping from hose to rack, which is actually from the front seal.

So in 16000 miles I have had:

Drivers side door leak. Fixed. Leak was traveling under seal and exiting into cab. Reapllied more sealant under seal.

Power steering pump to be replaced.

Recall on front lower ball joints to be done.

IMO this is unacceptable! I don't know manufacturer of pump and the ball joints are a Japanese company. The door seal is the good ol UAW thanks again UAW workers!
mad.gif

Needless to say they will get hammered by me this coming week. Thanks again UAW! You continue to not impress me one bit!
mad.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 16300
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 10w30 ODO 96200
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Dude, if you wheeled that Taco and it was turning heavy 33's like mine on granite and sand you would know what breakage is.
crushedcar.gif

Since Toyota turned to the Rack and pinion steering there have been issues. Rack and pinion is not a good truck system but it gives a more "car like" steering response. The pumps and the racks tend to go **** up becasue a trucks steering has to work much harder than a Camry's for example.

Most of my issues have been interior (the infamous poor instalation casued dash rattle).

Mechanicly despite my abuse the trucks axles, transmission, and motor are all running perfectly. The steering rack is due for some poly bushings as the large shakey baja claw tires have done a number on the stock bushings.

Although we are getting a recall on the lower (I can't abreviate Ball Joints?) I have never had an issue with mine, it will however be nice to get the alignment that goes with suspension repair so I am not complaining
grin.gif

Most the work I have had the dealer do has been seriously botched so I enjoy doing mos the repairs and instalations myself.
 -

-

Good luck with the poser steering hose, hopefully they don't both the repair.

All car make/models have problems (and serios ones) even those coveted ones. Some never crop up in an unreliable model by averages and others a major in a reliable car ie Honda or Toyota.

Its completely indifferent with regards to workers, just luck of the draw.

Thanks for response guys! It makes me feel a little better. Its the NUMMI UAW plant that built my truck BTW. I am trying to alert those of you that have similar truck since it is a pattern failure. You will not notice its leaking unless you really look carefully at it since its more of a WEEP. Yes it requires replacement of the pump, hose, etc..

I love my truck, its great, but this does put a sour taste in my mouth. I do not like anyone to work on my truck, but I have no choice since these are warranty items. I will watch the mechanic and feed him lunch and soda. Its the same mechanic that I have used for 10 years so he already knows I am a picky sob. I helped him with the door leak repair or should I say that I tore that side of the truck apart before bringing it in so that I knew exactly where the leak was. It was a simple fix, but in the wrong hands it could be disasterous.

Bryancc,

Nice truck! I enjoyed wheelin in my previous truck the 85 Toy 4x4. We would take it out on the tree farms right after they pulled the trees out.
grin.gif
Talk about getting air! Then you have to clean everything up afterwards which is very time consuming. If I hit the dirt now its in my yz 125. Its a little easier to clean after.
grin.gif

I am hopeful that the new pump is updated with better seals so this doesn't happen again. I will contact Yota Monday to find out what the deal is with these pumps.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:

Go easy on American workers and parts.

Remember that Japan's big three...Toyota, Honda, and Nissan build cars in the US AND all three are known for quality.

Look at the Japanese companies that still build in Japan: Mistsubishi, Isuzu, Mazda. Where do they rank on a JD Powers list? Bottom. The CEO of Mitsubishi was recently prosecuted in Japan for professional negligence due to the wheel falling off problem. Too bad we won't prosecute the higher ups in GM for their incompetence.

I feel your pain, my friend. I have been stewing all week about my 2002 Sport Trac. My Explorer cost $23K and only has 52,000 miles on it, and at only three years old Look at all the trouble I have had with my Explorer:

1)Window switches need replacing during first week of ownership
2)During first year of ownership truck leaves wife and baby stuck at mall because truck won't start-the fuel pump died
3)One trip to dealer due to check engine light(dealer replaced egr valve)
4)Another trip to dealer for check engine light(dealer replaced oxygen sensor)
5)Another trip to dealer for cracked intake manifold causing loud noise
6)Brake calipers replaced due to uneven wear on pads and rotors. At 52,000 miles, I am on my third set of rotors and pads.
7)On Monday, clutch slave cylider goes on truck and leaves wife and baby sitting on side of road
8)On Thursday, while driving home from getting clutch fixed, the truck shut off and the check engine light came on. Next day, had to pay for new idle air control valve.

Problems 6, 7 and 8 all done out of pocket, my $1000 Ford Extended Service Plan covered none of it.

Needles to say, when I picked up the truck last night, I drove straight to the Honda dealership and traded it for an 05 Pilot.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mormit:
Look at the Japanese companies that still build in Japan: Mistsubishi, Isuzu, Mazda. Where do they rank on a JD Powers list? Bottom.

Bear in mind that the JD Powers list that shows Mazda is the nameplate ranking and that list shows Chevrolet and Mercury up near the top, with Buick right under Lexus in 2nd place. Mazda actually scored worse than Ford did, but much better than either Isuzu or Mitsubishi.

The corporate ranking list does not show Mazda, it is considered part of Ford. On that list, Isuzu and Mitsubishi are down at the bottom. General Motors is in 4th place.

Joee,

Sorry about your dilemma! That is harsh especially when the wife and kids depend on the ride.
thumbsdown.gif

My wife and kids ride in the tank (4-Runner). It has had only one issue in 10 years, 100000 miles, a leaky valve cover gasket. So I am fairly confident in that ride. The domestic Taco will have to prove itself since this is my first domestic Yota out of 3.

ot, I have a sticky mouse. The kids seem to want to eat candy and use the computer. arggggghhhh!

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:
Good luck with the poser steering hose

That's right. Real trucks have manual steering, so you're a poser if you have power steering.
grin.gif

That was a true Freudian slip I wanted to say Power Steering but Maybe I really wanted to say Poser steering... HMMMM. I need to call my doc.

You guys are buying the wrong cars, buy something with a slant six in it, the car will rust down around the engine before you have to work on it.

It wont have all the ,cough, electronics problems everyone is always complaining about either. If you dont have it, you wont have problems from it.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

Originally posted by mormit:
Look at the Japanese companies that still build in Japan: Mistsubishi, Isuzu, Mazda. Where do they rank on a JD Powers list? Bottom.

Bear in mind that the JD Powers list that shows Mazda is the nameplate ranking and that list shows Chevrolet and Mercury up near the top, with Buick right under Lexus in 2nd place. Mazda actually scored worse than Ford did, but much better than either Isuzu or Mitsubishi.

The corporate ranking list does not show Mazda, it is considered part of Ford. On that list, Isuzu and Mitsubishi are down at the bottom. General Motors is in 4th place.

HEre I have to disagree with the importance of corporate rankings. This may sound odd. But the two Mitsubishis I have owned (had a 2000 prior to this 2004) have had Zero initial quality problems. THe only part I ever replaced on the 2000 in 4 years was a PCV valve. THe 2004 that we adopted in december has thus far proven trouble free. No squeeks rattles, No mechanical , fabric or other initial issues. Both Mitsubishis were Manufactured in Japan.

My Tacoma. Rear seat fabric was thread bear and wearing badly. New seat cover.
(Dealer ship botched the repair ... Twice!!! First time the fabbric was installed improperly and they lost a critical bushing in the mechanicla mechanism of the seat casuing a rattle I fixed myself with some Tygon tubing. The second time the Gorrilla at the dealership got the seat jammed in the up position, he took a pry bar to open it resulting in a really nifty deant in the back of the cab..they did fix it but ARRRHGF!!@ )

Then there was the Infamous Tacoma dash rattle. The first time they fixed it they somehow got glue inside of the instrument cluster.. The Rattle came back
mad.gif
The second time they removed the whole dashed..two months later...
mad.gif
I fixed it myself.

The center console.. )I will say that I am not happy with the interior plastic that Toyota chose for a truck) had to be replaced due to unusual wear to the cup holders... It's a one piece unit...
mad.gif

My wife used to work at a dealer and I let her take it in for an oil change.... this "door ding" came free with the oil change.
 -

After a protracted fight and pushing my wife to start a career in real estate they did fix it.

Everything else I cans ay I have inflicted myself. A few hundred bucks in body damage due mainly to me being in a hurry around granite are the majors but I am happy with them because they were my fault.

SO my problem is not only with The manufacturing but anything dealers touch!!

Then there is the BMW.... It is a fun car when it isn't rattling.
Back on topic. I have never had to take a Mitsubishi in for warranty repair. So I could care less how they are rated(actually it tickles me because I got it for super cheap!!), my personal esperience tells me that they are put together better than my domesticly assembled cars.

Just one guy with to many dealer stories.

My favorite dealer story is the time that I took my car in along with a printout of a TSB describing the exact problem it was having. I handed the TSB to the service advisor and told him that this was the problem it was having. He looked at it and then handed it back to me. I thought that was odd.

An hour later, they told me that they couldn't duplicate the problem. So I asked if I could go driving with the mechanic to see if I could make it happen. While the mechanic was in the car I pulled out the TSB and told him what I told the service advisor. He said he'd fix it.

That was the end of that problem, no thanks to the useless service advisor.

Service Advisors are like the proverbial udders on a boar hog, useless for anything but wasting money.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back