Another post about old tires

I'd do the same but expect replies saying you're endangering yourself and everybody else on the road.
Funny how many spend other people's money and won't ever acknowledge that not only is everyone different financially, but they have a different perspective on value. I've been around long enough to hear, "If you have to buy gas at Costco, you don't deserve a BMW." Back then, you had to use Shell V Power or you were unworthy. Especially when Costco went Top tier I've never looked back. I'd love to follow every rule and suggestion to a T, but we have to use some judgement once in a while. Can you use a 6 MP DSLR as a wedding photographer? You sure can.

I'd go

a) with the ten year rule as mfgs use it, while many incl car mfg say six years
b) I'd be careful since the tires are 2009 and over 10
c) I'd consider my budget when making a decision

Just what exactly is supposed to happen on day 2,191, in the life of a tire? :ROFLMAO:

So the tires look good but you know they are that old.

This is a good time to keep an eye out for promotions, and to drive slower, especially on ice, snow, rain, cornering, hot weather.

My tires seem to age more gracefully if the vehicle mostly stays in the garage where UV can't do as much damage. I like to save people money but at the same time, see it as a cost per year, not like it's spending $700 now versus never having to. It does not cost that much more per year to replace tires once they're that old.

In this case, if replacements cost $700 and you get 13 years ('09 to '22), that's only $54/yr. Suppose you tried to get another 4 years out of them, despite nobody recommending trying to get 17 years out of tires, IF they would last that long without incident. That would only reduce your cost per year to $41, not that big a difference.

Last edited:
So the tires look good but you know they are that old.

This is a good time to keep an eye out for promotions, and to drive slower, especially on ice, snow, rain, cornering, hot weather.

My tires seem to age more gracefully if the vehicle mostly stays in the garage where UV can't do as much damage. I like to save people money but at the same time, see it as a cost per year, not like it's spending $700 now versus never having to. It does not cost that much more per year to replace tires once they're that old.

In this case, if replacements cost $700 and you get 13 years ('09 to '22), that's only $54/yr. Suppose you tried to get another 4 years out of them, despite nobody recommending trying to get 17 years out of tires, IF they would last that long without incident. That would only reduce your cost per year to $41, not that big a difference.

I only personally know one billionaire (in this day and age, it's like our grandparents knowing a millionaire. It is, and is not, something). That person once asked me how much more something would cost, I said about $55/mo. He said, nevermind it's not worth it. Because it had to do with Verizon wireless. this is a person who donates $100k if asked and it's a charity he's interested in. Also, he has a Lear 75. That $55/mo he didn't want to spend on Verizon wireless is his money--he can decide whether it's worth it or not.

Tens of thousands of highway deaths from irresponsible people driving drunk. I don't think the number killed, if any, from old tires even registers in comparison.
What a dumb post. So you’re insinuating there are no fatalities caused by old tires? Just google it.

NTSB states 33,000 accidents annually due to tires. Pg 10/vii:

My math is a little rusty but 33,000 isn't that far off from tens of thousands.

That's not deaths ( NHTSA states 10K5 per annum avg for drunk driving ), and I think we can agree that drunk driving is worse, but it should never be a matter of can-i-think-of-something-worse. If we do that, then drunk driving on old tires is worse, so drunk driving is okay on good tires. ;)

Last edited:
NHTSA says there were 660 tire related fatalities in 2020.
NHTSA says there were 38,824 traffic fatalities in 2020.
NHTSA says 11,258 traffic deaths in 2020 were speeding related.

Last edited:
Just wondering how many cars are on the road in this same situation you come across. Nothing like a nice blowout that sends you into the oncoming lane head on into a van full of kids...

I only personally know one billionaire (in this day and age, it's like our grandparents knowing a millionaire. It is, and is not, something). That person once asked me how much more something would cost, I said about $55/mo. He said, nevermind it's not worth it. Because it had to do with Verizon wireless. this is a person who donates $100k if asked and it's a charity he's interested in. Also, he has a Lear 75. That $55/mo he didn't want to spend on Verizon wireless is his money--he can decide whether it's worth it or not.
Ask him if his Lear 75 has 13 year old tires on it.

I cheap out on my cell phone service too. It poses no risk to anyone and the savings more than pays for newer tires... maybe by an order of magnitude if talking about 13 year old tires. Granted I have a land line at work and very low data use due to wifi 90% of where I use a phone, so not exactly a fair comparison.

I could have sworn we just talked about how bad this thing rode and new tires and wheels but OK.
Yup, but after letting some air out of the tires(down to 32). it seems to ride better, and I decided that I am just gonna run em.

NTSB states 33,000 accidents annually due to tires. Pg 10/vii:

My math is a little rusty but 33,000 isn't that far off from tens of thousands.

That's not deaths ( NHTSA states 10K5 per annum avg for drunk driving ), and I think we can agree that drunk driving is worse, but it should never be a matter of can-i-think-of-something-worse. If we do that, then drunk driving on old tires is worse, so drunk driving is okay on good tires. ;)
33000 accidents yearly. My question is how many of those were caused by an old tire blowing out? Or were they caused by driving to fast with low tread in poor conditions, or other things they blame tires for, which in my option is driver error, not tire failure. Like they blame icy roads for an accident. Road icy? slow down

One thing I have noticed here is that people seem to think that a flat or blowout at highway speed is automatically an accident. Although it has only happened a very few times to me personally, I have yet to came even close to losing control of my vehicle when it did.

^ Well I already wrote essentially, old tires, slow down.

If you start a topic that has a safety angle, never forget how easy it is for us to spend YOUR money.

33000 accidents yearly. My question is how many of those were caused by an old tire blowing out? ........
The answer is in the 2015 NTSB report:

It can be difficult to determine the prevalence of crashes related to tire aging because the TIN is generally not recorded at a crash scene. In an attempt to determine the scope of the issue, NHTSA examined data from a special study conducted for the period 2005–2007 called theNational Motor Vehicle Crash Causation Survey (NMVCCS), in which the TINs from crash-involved vehicle tires were documented (NHTSA 2012).42 NHTSA analyzed cases of tire tread separation and sidewall separation and weighted the results to arrive at a national estimate; it determined that about 23 percent of tow-away or police-reported crashes related to tires involved tire aging.

Ask him if his Lear 75 has 13 year old tires on it.

I cheap out on my cell phone service too. It poses no risk to anyone and the savings more than pays for newer tires... maybe by an order of magnitude if talking about 13 year old tires. Granted I have a land line at work and very low data use due to wifi 90% of where I use a phone, so not exactly a fair comparison.
The plane was new when obtained, and it's not 13 yet. But I will admit I know nothing about airplane tires nor have I asked anyone about them. As a matter of fact, I've only seen the plane in the hangar, I've not flown on it, my pay grade is too low :ROFLMAO:

Not gonna lie when it comes to "utility" types of services even $5/mo. more is offensive, which is what Verizon did to my plan. I just jumped through hoops late last year to get the cost down and to unlimited (which I don't need), and we got slapped with the "economic adjustment charge," for basically nothing at all.

One time I told Costco fill it premium. The attendant filled it regular. I was irritated but I kept a running total--if the tank had 7 gal of 93, and now it got filled with 15 gal @ 87, what was the octane with subsequent fills. I mean I coulda taken it to a shop and had them drain the tank if I were of that income level. and then donated the resultant 22 gal of 88.9 octane to charity. But I felt it would be fine to just consume it. Because in reality the tank will never be 93 again now that 87 got in there. lol But 91 should be good enough. Same thing with old tires, it may, or may not matter. I lean towards the latter and say be careful over 10 years.

This sort of behavior is why insurance rates continue to climb. The number of vehicles that would fail a TÜV-style inspection in the United States is flat out scary. People want increased speed limits but do not realize that the Germans enjoy that because the vehicles on the road meet a stringent safety standard.

This sort of behavior is why insurance rates continue to climb. The number of vehicles that would fail a TÜV-style inspection in the United States is flat out scary. People want increased speed limits but do not realize that the Germans enjoy that because the vehicles on the road meet a stringent safety standard.
So that's why my insurance went up 1.7%. It's pretty annoying because my cars keep getting older. The BMW was $690/yr brand spanking new when it's wholesale was about $40k. Today it's $580/yr and going on 16 years old. Maybe a TUV style inspection would also remove those cheap hitch receiver bike racks that obscure the license plates

Of course the tire manufacturers have no skin in the game. (sarcasm) They want to sell more tires just based on their age, not their condition. Kind of like telling a 60 year old that he can't run in a marathon just because he is 60 years old.
Just remember no matter how cynical you get, you just can't keep up.

So now when airplanes get old we're not supposed to believe the manufacturer of the airplane because they just want to sell more planes? Who else is going to know more about the tire than the manufacturer? Those belts inside the tires can also rust, but you can't see it because it's covered in rubber. That's why they're recommending anywhere from 6-10 years. If some tire manufacturer thought theirs was good for 15 years, don't you think they would mention it? That would actually sell more tires to people who want long lasting tires.

And look up some of the references mentioned earlier, there are thousands and tens of thousands of accidents caused by tire failure. You think the manufacturer is just making up some random 6-10 year number? The evidence of accidents due to tire failures say otherwise. You would have a point if there were no or very little accidents due to the tire failures, but that's not the case. And in the OP's case, it's 13 years so it's not like you're just pushing it by just a year or two. I'd be curious when OP was really planning on replacing them, when the tread gets down to 2/32? I tend to replace mine when they hit 4-5/32's as snow traction gets worse at less than 5/32 and rain is at 4/32 but if he just drives in the dry, he probably thinks he can take it to 2/32s.

And for the record, no one tells anyone that they can't run a marathon, if they're up for it, there are some races where you can just sign up on the spot and there are some 60+ marathoners out there, I think world record is something like 2:30 which is pretty fast considering qualifying time for Boston for the open age group is just 3 hours.

It's not just your life on the line. You're potential accident could involve people in surrounding vehicles, pedestrians, highway workers etc. They got the idea for those driver's ed red highway videos from somewhere.
it could also involve hitting someone who just happens to be an attorney, or has an attorney in the family or is personally close to an attorney.

Back