Another Parts store clerk story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: shpankey

No not at all. For the green stuff look at the bottom number. I think the start of the number has to be M05010 or earlier. But double check the GC thread here to be sure. I just noticed the old caps on top and thought I had a chance of getting a bottle. I didn't though. I only purchased those two bottles to [censored] the clerk off. lol

If you want green oil, get some Pennzoil Ultra
28.gif

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Yes at Advance Auto I had a clerk do something similar. I went in looking for Rotella 10w30. Not seeing any on the shelf I asked if they had any in the back or if they could/or would be getting any in stock. He said "All we have is the 15w40 and the 5w40 Synthetic. If you want a 10w30 you can only get that in a car oil. Rotella does not make a 10w30 diesel oil, nobody does". I tell him that actually almost all major blenders offer a 10w30 diesel oil. He goes on to challenge me saying that as a parts person he knows what is and is not available. I then walked out to my car, grabbed an empty gallon jug of it, and walked back in and said "ok then explain this Mr. know it all."

Last time I went in there.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sangyup81

No not at all. For the green stuff look at the bottom number. I think the start of the number has to be M05010 or earlier. But double check the GC thread here to be sure. I just noticed the old caps on top and thought I had a chance of getting a bottle. I didn't though. I only purchased those two bottles to [censored] the clerk off. lol

28.gif

Undercover SOPUS employee identified..... Prepare for battle...
24.gif

Originally Posted By: sangyup81

28.gif

Schaeffers S9000 is green too
banana2.gif

As a professional parts man (purchasing side, not sales side) I am appalled that any clerk in an auto parts store would argue with a customer like that. Assuming this turkey wasn't the manager, I would have gone to him and demanded this idiot be fired for his behavior. If he WAS the manager, I would asked for the name of the district manager. Under no circumstances should a employee interject negative comments about a product for sale in the store like that, especially unsolicited. If you ask for an opinion, it should be offered as in, "This is our most popular product in this line', or "this is what I use personally", or "in my opinion, this one is better", but they should really go no farther. If the customer knows what they want, you sell it to them, no questions asked. If they don't know, have them consult their owner's manual, or their dealer, or online sources such as this, but never never never get into a [censored] contest with a customer because they want to buy one brand, and you want them to buy another.

Quote:
Why is there such surprise at this? You don't need more than a HS diploma or GED to work at a Pep Boys or such.

For most auto parts store employees, it was either retail auto parts.... or working in drive thru window and asking customers if they want to super size their value meal for 49 cents.

My nephew works at AutoZone in central FL and likes it. He says 90% of customers are dumb and can't fix their own car.

Retail can be interesting. Did it for a number of years. You get all kinds.

But the one who stuck a 9mm in my face took all the fun out of it.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Retail can be interesting. Did it for a number of years. You get all kinds.

But the one who stuck a 9mm in my face took all the fun out of it.

I have been there. Someone tried to carjack me at knifepoint at my job.

i would not have fired him but that would be his last chance... be helpful if you can then shut your mouth if i was in sales...make the sale and be pleasant

He wasn't the manager. Just a kid. I would have been utterly happy if someone would have just corrected him and his misinformation. What I can't really get was his passion. I mean, he was so emphatic. I don't know if he was doing this just as a tactic to make me believe him, or if he really honestly believed what he was saying. I kind of lean towards the idea that his knowledge was challenged and his ego kicked in and went wild. He was kind of in a "chips all in" position so his lies just kept getting bigger in an attempt to save face.

Last edited:
Probably because his whole life (according to him) revolved around being around motor oil in some way,shape,or form. And you questioned his whole existence by not agreeing with him.

Well, everyone here can be happy with this former Jiffy Luber.

I tried to educate based on facts. I learned a lot from this site and other research.

I worked with a guy who would put 5w30 in everything, even diesels. Or people who would use scare tactics to sell high dollar services.

Even with me staying honest, I was able to keep up in sales with the dishonest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back