Another Parts store clerk story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
when I go into a parts store like that I make sure to put the 0w oil right in their face with the label pointed at them, hoping somebody will say something one day........

I don't want to have a two sided argument with them(what good does it do arguing to a brick wall that doesn't learn) but it would be funny to hear their stupidity as I walk out the door with my good oil....

to the OP of this thread, this guy would have been better off sticking to one of my motto's....

Better to sit there quiet, and be thought of as a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

They should be happy to have some "dupe" buy this thin oil. It must be a slow mover since they tell customers not to use it.

I am pretty understanding when a counter person doesn't know everthing. But when they are so adament about something they are wrong aboutit is hard to not say something.

Yeah he was on a quest. He gave it his all to stop that purchase. Maybe this is why they had some of the old bottles? This guy has shut GC down! haha

I was in Kragen (soon to be O'Reilly) last week seeing if they stocked GC. (They don't but that's another story).

While I was still at the oil rack a younger guy came in, picked a bottle of some Castrol Syntec and rang out. On my way out I saw in him the car park, driving a BMW 3-series, E46 generation.

Knowing he couldn't have gotten GC, I asked him what he had there. It was the 5w30. I told him it didn't meet BMW spec (I had BMW LL-01 in mind) and that he ought to find a place with the 0w30 as it's really good oil but they don't stock it here.

He said the clerk here before had told him to "use the 5w30" so that's what he had in the crankcase now. I convinced him that the 0w30 was the way to go next time (reminding him again about what is BMW approved and what isn't). Maybe I got him on the right track, we can only hope.

sometimes its tireing. I try to educate some of the guys at work on oil, especially the younger guys just out of highschool, and sometimes I think they get it, other times I think they look at me as some whacko that reads to much. I was pretty happy with myself this week though. Kid at work has a 04.5 Dodge with a cummins, has a Smarty programmer on it, so she smokes pretty good. Thankfully hes smart enough to change his oil more often because of the excess soot and short runs he drives sometimes. Hes an Amsoil prefered customer and has always used amsoil products. Last oil change he used the Castrol Tection 15w-40 bulk oil that we use in our shop. With the filter he got, his total cost buying the stuff through work was $22. You can't beat that. Still he was thinking about sticking with Amsoil. I told him he'd be a fool not to take advantage of the savings by using the stuff we have at work. He changes oil every 5,000-7,000miles religously. I told him thers no reason that castrol stuff shouldn't hold up if hes gonna change it that often. I think I finally got him turned onto the idea. Not saying Amsoil isn't great stuff, just trying to save him some money.

I get the same deal. I buy oil and parts right after work when dressed in business casual. That really makes me a target for comments and stares. I usually get them to back off when I tell them I will bet them money I am right. Best one was the vertically challenged parts counter guy at AAP, trying to argue with me in front of my son, that I needed to purchase a oil filter strap wrench and not the one I did. I bit my tongue and explained the strap wrench is a poor fit which baffled the guy. Mind you I own 2 and tried them and figured out the filter end wrench was the best solution. He asked how could I know that the one I had fit, as I did not bring in the oil filter?! Surprised I told him I used the parts book and then pulled a correct size filter for my truck off the shelf and it fit! Duh.. I paid cash and told my son not to judge people until they open their mouth!

I've run into this, but I was behind the parts counter. This happened around 20 years ago.

This old guy mechanic comes in and asks for a water pump for a Chevrolet.

I ask him what year, make and engine.

He gets huffy and tells me it doesn't matter. They're all the same.

I tell him that I need this info to give him the correct part. He gets real mad and tell me that it doesn't matter and they're all the same.

OK. I give up. I give him one that I know would have a very low probability of fitting; I hand him box with a water pump for a 1958 Chevy 235CID within.
28.gif

He came back about 30 minutes later.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I've run into this, but I was behind the parts counter. This happened around 20 years ago.

This old guy mechanic comes in and asks for a water pump for a Chevrolet.

I ask him what year, make and engine.

He gets huffy and tells me it doesn't matter. They're all the same.

I tell him that I need this info to give him the correct part. He gets real mad and tell me that it doesn't matter and they're all the same.

OK. I give up. I give him one that I know would have a very low probability of fitting; I hand him box with a water pump for a 1958 Chevy 235CID within.
28.gif

He came back about 30 minutes later.
lol.gif

lol some people

Originally Posted By: shpankey
So I got to Pep Boys. I'm over looking at the GC, mostly because they had some of the older bottles (with the lug nut top) and I'm checking for the M05010 on them thinking to score some green stuff, and a clerk comes up and starts on a mini-rant against Castrol all the while pitching me on M1. I say it's a great oil, I run it on 2 vehicles I'm just checking out the German Castrol. I say: I really only like the GC. His eyes widen and he starts in. Sir all Castrol is actually mixed and made in the U.S.. So I say: Notice how it says "Made in Germany" on the back. That's the kind I'm looking for.

So, being polite, I ask: I noticed these older bottles and was wondering the difference in them and he says: These bottles are Euro Formula [the older bottles have it in larger font] and I point out to him the newer bottles say the same thing on the front. He's seemingly feeling (I don't know why) like I have challenged his oil knowledge, lol. I continue: German Castrol is Made in Germany and it only comes in 0w30 and can only be had at just a few places, this being one of them.

Now he gets crazy. He says: 0w30 is the THINNEST viscosity oil there is. It's extremely thin. It's a 0 weight oil (he says this) that's what the 0w stands for. I very politely (and I knew better, but I thought there was a chance) tell him that actually, that is sometimes called the "winter rating" and that it just means that at 0 degrees celsius or 32 degrees farrenheight, it pours like a 0 weight due to viscosity improvers but that it's actually a very thick 30 weight viscosity at operating temp and that in the cold, it flows like a 0 weight.

Wow. I shouldn't have said that. He boldly and loudly says NO! It's a 0 weight and is EXTREMELY thin. You do NOT want to run this. If you want a thick oil, run a 10w30. He says that it is a 10 weight 30 oil and it's extremely thick. A 0 weight 30 oil is very VERY thin! Again I rebutt, sir I'm not trying to argue with you, and I only tell you this just so you don't misinform customers, but these are multi-viscosity oils. The first number is considered a winter rating, but it just means at very cold temps it pours like a 0 weight but at operating temp, it's in the range of a 30 weight. German Castrol is actually a very thick viscosity at operating temperature, almost a 40 weight. And I went on to tell him that the broader the difference between the numbers, generally requires more viscosity improvers, which are more likely to shear. So there's a balance there.

Now I've done it. I seen it in his eyes. I shouldn't have even argued this far, but as I said, I thought there was a chance. Now I got his oil resume. I worked here 5 years, before here I worked at Jiffy Lube, so you know I know this stuff. And before there I worked at this other oil store for 5, and I worked at this other place and this other place and this other place and I'm as expert as they come (I kid you not, he said that). Everyone in this whole store relies on me to educate them about oil and I'm considered the oil guru! He's very emphatic now... He says: I "PROMISE" you, you are WRONG! I know this stuff, I've been doing it for decades (kid was in his twenties, lol). What I'm telling you is a FACT! TRUST me! And this actually continued as he kept trying to sell me of his expertness. Then, he pauses, looks over to me as if, I will say "Ok, I guess you ARE right". I pause and kindly say, well, it's not worth arguing over (nothing I say will change his view). And he picks back up with his resume and on and on and on and ON he goes.

I say well, thank you, trying to get him to leave me alone and he's mad that I'm buying the GC. He says: You do NOT want this oil. You are making a mistake. This stuff is crazy thin. Don't ever run a 0w oil, it's too thin!

I say well, thanks for the help, grab my two bottles of GC and take it to the front to buy it, as he shakes his head.

Has anyone ran into this kind of stuff before?

That is a funny story. So the bottles with the cap that looks like a nut is the green GC? They had at least 5 of those left at the pep boys by me, they had a contest on them that expired 07/31/2007

Originally Posted By: ahoier
yea. I have run into this. Which is why it's very rare that I go into parts stores anymore lol. Easier to shop at wally world, they seem to like me spending my money there :) No opinions given, or "recommendations" unless of course I _ask_ for their assistance/help with an issue.

Now, don't get me wrong, not all parts guys are bad, I've met some smart ones.....this one was ASE certified (kinda makes me wonder, wouldn't he make more money "under a car" or "in a shop" rather than in a parts store?). Sometimes I just think they get bored and have to try and show their knowledge (or lack thereof) hehe.

Hopefully you don't need a water pump or shocks or something other than an oil and air filter because at least at the walmart by me they do not sell those. Unless you don't do that stuff if needed and then you are fine.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: shpankey
So I got to Pep Boys. I'm over looking at the GC, mostly because they had some of the older bottles (with the lug nut top) and I'm checking for the M05010 on them thinking to score some green stuff, and a clerk comes up and starts on a mini-rant against Castrol all the while pitching me on M1. I say it's a great oil, I run it on 2 vehicles I'm just checking out the German Castrol. I say: I really only like the GC. His eyes widen and he starts in. Sir all Castrol is actually mixed and made in the U.S.. So I say: Notice how it says "Made in Germany" on the back. That's the kind I'm looking for.

So, being polite, I ask: I noticed these older bottles and was wondering the difference in them and he says: These bottles are Euro Formula [the older bottles have it in larger font] and I point out to him the newer bottles say the same thing on the front. He's seemingly feeling (I don't know why) like I have challenged his oil knowledge, lol. I continue: German Castrol is Made in Germany and it only comes in 0w30 and can only be had at just a few places, this being one of them.

Now he gets crazy. He says: 0w30 is the THINNEST viscosity oil there is. It's extremely thin. It's a 0 weight oil (he says this) that's what the 0w stands for. I very politely (and I knew better, but I thought there was a chance) tell him that actually, that is sometimes called the "winter rating" and that it just means that at 0 degrees celsius or 32 degrees farrenheight, it pours like a 0 weight due to viscosity improvers but that it's actually a very thick 30 weight viscosity at operating temp and that in the cold, it flows like a 0 weight.

Wow. I shouldn't have said that. He boldly and loudly says NO! It's a 0 weight and is EXTREMELY thin. You do NOT want to run this. If you want a thick oil, run a 10w30. He says that it is a 10 weight 30 oil and it's extremely thick. A 0 weight 30 oil is very VERY thin! Again I rebutt, sir I'm not trying to argue with you, and I only tell you this just so you don't misinform customers, but these are multi-viscosity oils. The first number is considered a winter rating, but it just means at very cold temps it pours like a 0 weight but at operating temp, it's in the range of a 30 weight. German Castrol is actually a very thick viscosity at operating temperature, almost a 40 weight. And I went on to tell him that the broader the difference between the numbers, generally requires more viscosity improvers, which are more likely to shear. So there's a balance there.

Now I've done it. I seen it in his eyes. I shouldn't have even argued this far, but as I said, I thought there was a chance. Now I got his oil resume. I worked here 5 years, before here I worked at Jiffy Lube, so you know I know this stuff. And before there I worked at this other oil store for 5, and I worked at this other place and this other place and this other place and I'm as expert as they come (I kid you not, he said that). Everyone in this whole store relies on me to educate them about oil and I'm considered the oil guru! He's very emphatic now... He says: I "PROMISE" you, you are WRONG! I know this stuff, I've been doing it for decades (kid was in his twenties, lol). What I'm telling you is a FACT! TRUST me! And this actually continued as he kept trying to sell me of his expertness. Then, he pauses, looks over to me as if, I will say "Ok, I guess you ARE right". I pause and kindly say, well, it's not worth arguing over (nothing I say will change his view). And he picks back up with his resume and on and on and on and ON he goes.

I say well, thank you, trying to get him to leave me alone and he's mad that I'm buying the GC. He says: You do NOT want this oil. You are making a mistake. This stuff is crazy thin. Don't ever run a 0w oil, it's too thin!

I say well, thanks for the help, grab my two bottles of GC and take it to the front to buy it, as he shakes his head.

Has anyone ran into this kind of stuff before?

That is a funny story. So the bottles with the cap that looks like a nut is the green GC? They had at least 5 of those left at the pep boys by me, they had a contest on them that expired 07/31/2007

Well it SAYS German Castrol.. but its really made in the USA :lol:

i never ran into a clerk who cared enough to argue oil...just scan it and go

Originally Posted By: chet2
i never ran into a clerk who cared enough to argue oil...just scan it and go

^^My experience every time I buy oil.

Yes,
34.gif
just scan it and go so they can get back to their more important items like what are we going to order for lunch. However there are two great parts stores here on LI that have people that can give you limited good advice. But in all if you need help from a clerk you might be in trouble in some way.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

No not at all. For the green stuff look at the bottom number. I think the start of the number has to be M05010 or earlier. But double check the GC thread here to be sure. I just noticed the old caps on top and thought I had a chance of getting a bottle. I didn't though. I only purchased those two bottles to [censored] the clerk off. lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Yes at Advance Auto I had a clerk do something similar. I went in looking for Rotella 10w30. Not seeing any on the shelf I asked if they had any in the back or if they could/or would be getting any in stock. He said "All we have is the 15w40 and the 5w40 Synthetic. If you want a 10w30 you can only get that in a car oil. Rotella does not make a 10w30 diesel oil, nobody does". I tell him that actually almost all major blenders offer a 10w30 diesel oil. He goes on to challenge me saying that as a parts person he knows what is and is not available. I then walked out to my car, grabbed an empty gallon jug of it, and walked back in and said "ok then explain this Mr. know it all."

Last time I went in there.

I got a similar response to the same thing at AAP. I run the Rotella 10w-30 in my Kohler Command. Ask the guy if they can order it, says Rotella T does not come in 10-30 variety. He ticked me off so much I actually drove home and brought in my near empty gallon jug. I asked him "then what the [censored] is this?" He was speechless.
33.gif

Sometimes these (not all, some are very knowledgeable) auto parts guys think that if they can not order it or see it in a catalog, it does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back