Another object near the tire wall thread

I think there was a thread similar to this (screw getting caught towards the outer edge of the tire) in recent past here. This is my all season tires on the Corolla - noticed it when I took them off in Nov. 2022. Tires been sitting face down until I switched back to all seasons today. Hasn’t lost any measurable tire pressure in that time.

I did put it on the back - what do the folks here think? Can I just let it stay in there and keep driving? These are Altimax RT43 tires purchased in early 2019 with about 50k miles on them.

Tires are evenly worn to about 6/32” (I’ve rotated them every 5k miles). I would like to run them till end of the year and get new all seasons next Spring ideally…

Attachments

• 585E4BC8-D315-4958-BB0A-BCB35C7C06C2.jpeg
    585E4BC8-D315-4958-BB0A-BCB35C7C06C2.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Just added - the website gave me an error when I first tried to post it and ended up with duplicate threads.

Are there any risks with leaving it in there?

Are there any risks with leaving it in there?
You'll probably get a flat at the worst time possible if you leave it in there.

I would take it to a tire shop to get it looked at. They will probably sell you at least two new tires.

You could always look for a used Altimax RT43 tire in the same size? It's a common tire on a common car.

In my experience, a tire shop (Les Schwab) will not repair a tire if the damage is within 1 inch of the closest sidewall.

Ed

I posted a similar thread a month ago or so. Plugged it with the $5 kit. All good.
This is what I would do.

Leaving the object in there is risky. It'll likely eventually turn into a slow leak, or worst case eject itself suddenly and you wind up with a flat on the side of the highway.

I plugged a hole in almost the exact same area about a year ago on my Cooper CS5 Ultras. They're also needing replacement soon, and I too, prefer to swap all tires at the same time. Zero issues out of at least 6-7 plugs I've self installed in my tires over the years using the cheap $5 kits.

Sure, it's an iffy location so it's a risk vs reward thing. But I feel that's a good distance from the actual sidewall and shouldn't cause you any issues for the short time you have left with the tires.

There's a good chance it's not even leaking, just pull it out.

If it leaks you can either cross your fingers and stick a plug in there, or get it assessed at a tire shop.

I would pull it out and check for a leak with soapy water. If no leak, let it dry, stuff ( don't ream it ) a piece of tire plug( with the rubber cement) in there gently to keep water out of the belts. If it leaks, i would replace, i personally won't plug a shoulder on a tire.

If you leave it in there, either it will migrate deeper and leak, or it will come out and leak when you on the highway.

You could always look for a used Altimax RT43 tire in the same size? It's a common tire on a common car.
Used Altimax RT43s (7-8/32) seem to cost just a little less than a new one. If I end up buying a new tire, I’ll just replace a pair for now.

Thanks everyone, I’ll pull the object out later this evening and try the soap bottle to see if it leaks.

I’m trying to not spend more money on l tires right now because I just bought a new set of tires for the Pathfinder earlier this week. :cautious:

Any recommendations on which plug kit is recommended?

@JeffKeryk any advice on how you went about plugging your tire? I missed your thread somehow on this!

Last edited:
I would get the Safety Seal kit and use a slim plug. You do not need to ream the hole further damaging the tire to insert a slim plug.
The Safety Seal in made right here in MA and is the only one I have seen that is strong enough to do this, their plugs are the best in the business.

I went out and sprayed it with soap solution - didn’t see any bubbles.

So I used a needle nose and yanked it out, still no bubbles. So I’m going to let it be and monitor as things go unless there’s anything else I can do the re-verify no leak?

First picture of soap solution with the object, second is the object itself and third is the soap solution applied with the object removed.

Attachments

• 3FA22501-4C3E-48BB-A7B2-89823EF92827.jpeg
    3FA22501-4C3E-48BB-A7B2-89823EF92827.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 20
  • CCC6B511-1010-4A93-A57E-F2F9949D0DA3.jpeg
    CCC6B511-1010-4A93-A57E-F2F9949D0DA3.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 836BE16C-260F-4816-B5A4-AC5EF02ABFC5.jpeg
    836BE16C-260F-4816-B5A4-AC5EF02ABFC5.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 20
Thanks everyone, I’ll pull the object out later this evening and try the soap bottle to see if it leaks.

I’m trying to not spend more money on l tires right now because I just bought a new set of tires for the Pathfinder earlier this week. :cautious:

Any recommendations on which plug kit is recommended?

@JeffKeryk any advice on how you went about plugging your tire? I missed your thread somehow on this!
Sooner or later you will pick up a nail, screw, or something. I used the cheapo Slime Tire Repair Kit; there are many YouTube videos. It's easy.
I highly suggest you take @Trav post #14 under consideration.

Back