Another NYS STUPID

Some/most NYS inspection places are out of 2021 stickers. No inspections until 2022. NYS charges the inspection places for the stickers and 2021 ones cannot be used in 2022. They do not want to be stuck with stickers they paid for but cannot use. So in December they just run out.

Thus another NYS STUPID.

I think its a poor idea also to have any person inspect his own work. And that is what NYS does. NJ & DE both have state inspection stations which seems like a better idea.

Do you really want a pipe welder at a nuclear power plant to xray and certify his own welds?

I don’t understand. 2021 is about done with. I’d sure want a 2022 sticker myself, have half my fleet with 2022 now (Nov inspection).

I can see your arguement about inspecting one’s work, but in an ideal world one would be honest. In a less than ideal world the mechanic knows they can get busted, and that they might not get the work if they give a bogus work order (might instead get a visit from the state). So they have an incentive to be a straight shooter on this. Maybe letting some trivial things slide for good customers, but otherwise being on the up and up.

There is a supply issue with registration stickers - Minnesota is another that this is affecting.

We can still pay for registration stickers, but may not receive them for a bit... Instructions are to carry the receipt with the vehicle, and the tags will show as current on a registration check.

Not a big deal...

inspections? we ain't got no inspections here in OH....except for a couple counties around Cleveland....and those just have an OBD plug in emissions check.
no sniffers, just plug in to the OBD port.
they even have self service Kiosks.
Same here and it's tied to our annual registration (sticker on license plate).

Sounds like the dingbats that run MI. Took me 3 months to transfer the title on my car since there werent any appointments available, then they have the nerve to charge me a late fee. I had to write 2 e-mails and fill out a 2 page form just to get the $15 late fee back, I did it out of principal though.

Theyre all heading your way, its only a matter of time :rolleyes: :mad:
If the rust doesn't get them first in NYS, not being worth the money to make them pass inspection will. For this you don't see a lot of crackhead cruisers rolling about.

It isn't any picnic in NYS, but sunny FL is a place to visit and then get the heck out of.

We don't have any safety inspections here in CA, and I sure wish we did. Seeing some of the crap driving on our freeways sometimes scares me.

There is a supply issue with registration stickers - Minnesota is another that this is affecting.

We can still pay for registration stickers, but may not receive them for a bit... Instructions are to carry the receipt with the vehicle, and the tags will show as current on a registration check.

Not a big deal...
Just got stickers for 3 of my vehicles from the Minnesota DMV this week, renewed by mail, no problem, it took 2 weeks.

Some/most NYS inspection places are out of 2021 stickers. No inspections until 2022. NYS charges the inspection places for the stickers and 2021 ones cannot be used in 2022. They do not want to be stuck with stickers they paid for but cannot use. So in December they just run out.

Thus another NYS STUPID.

NYS is stuck on stupid, which is why I left NYS: I no longer have to deal with stupid.

You think they'd have added a 10 day grace period, and let them use the 2022 stickers

Since we're on the topic and seems to be a rant type thread, NC yearly "inspection" is a joke. They (legislature) tried to do away with it some years ago, but the garage lobby did their thing. Easy money for the shops. I go to same place all the time, small alternator rebuild shop, they know me. My vehicles in good shape. Longest part of the process now is waiting for the computers between the shop and DMV to communicate and approve.

At least no windows sticker required, just small license plate sticker that gets sent after inspection complete and registration cost paid.

My inspection is up this December
...might stall it till January for a free extra month :sneaky:

Don't confuse NYS inspection with NYS registration, apparently both are in short supply?

It's not uncommon for a high volume shop to chew through their allocation of stickers

The supply not being there to back it up, that's a little concerning

Let's see what happens, I've actually got two vehicles that expire December

I'll report back

Texas went to one sticker about five years ago. Makes sense.

Take the car for inspection before the registration is due, they upload the record of inspection to the DMV, then you order your registration sticker online or pick it up at the grocery store, in lieu of waiting at the tax office again.

Back