Another new dealer ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that legal?

Here in Virginia (which isn't nearly, as, err, regulated as Illinois) a shop is allowed to charge a fee for accepting used oil but it's limited, and nowhere near $21.

One likely reason for limiting the amount a shop can charge for disposal is that charging such a high amount is likely to increase the incidence of improper (down the storm drain) disposal of used oil.

Here's a correction: "$.21 charge for fluid disposal". I should have typed it as "21¢". I still consider it an unnecessary charge since the dealer is selling the used oil.

These guys all go to management seminars on how to improve their profit margins. It's the same rip as "shop supplies"... an attempt to make every car that goes through a service bay pay around $200. Can also be through fuel injection cleanings, transmission flushes, whatever whiz-bang machine they just bought.

When they charge $85/hr for labor, and the tech usually gets less than $20, they can buy their own shop supplies.

I believe the law in Canada says that garages are not allowed to collect money for shop supplies, but they all do it. I'm pretty sure some ogvernment official is letting it slip by, probably getting some kind of **** kickback or something of the sort. GrrrrrRRRRR
mad.gif
just venting here, had a rough day so far.

Back in the nineties when I was in the TBA business,Calif.would charge
four cents a Qt.at point of purchase
for recycle fee.Whoever got that money,I don't know.
Stay Kool.....

Tire shops also charge a tire disposal fees (a few bucks) and just like quick lube shops / dealership.....it is normal to charge for this service.

It costs a buck or two up here in Ontario. It differs by province. Tires cost a couple bucks to get rid of but they'll keep your other broken car parts for free.

Steve

Local Chrysler dealer is charging $21 per oc to dispose of used oil. Well, the used oil recyclers here are in a bidding war to BUY oil from dealers, quick oil changers, etc. The quote I heard is 40¢/gallon and up. Anybody else getting a disposal fee added to their oc?

quote:

Originally posted by Ray:
Local Chrysler dealer is charging $21 per oc to dispose of used oil. Well, the used oil recyclers here are in a bidding war to BUY oil from dealers, quick oil changers, etc. The quote I heard is 40¢/gallon and up. Anybody else getting a disposal fee added to their oc?

My independant summarizes the charge into the bill as does my dealer. Even if they get paid for the stuff they still have to deal with it, store it and get rid of it. The bill itself is $24.95 total for dino change at dealer and when I use Mobil 1/Mobil 1 Filter its $52 at independant garage.

quote:

Originally posted by andyfish:
Even if they get paid for the stuff they still have to deal with it, store it and get rid of it.

Well if they don't want to deal with those pesky customers then why don't they just close their doors?

This idea that it's too much of a hassle to do business makes me wonder why they're in business in the first place.

geeeeeesh, I change my own for about $12-15 in less than 30 minutes, and OReilley's takes the old oil back for free.....

$52 for an oil change? do they give you a cigarette afterwards?

Here every place that sells oil takes old oil for free, to discourage people from puring it on the telephone pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back