Another Mobil 1 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
That wouldn't quite make sense though, as they'd have to print up labels that had the SL starburst on them, but with the Tri-Synthetic name on it.

The SL and SJ formulas are NOT the same. We know this for a fact. One of the folks at vwvortex did some analysis and found that the SL formula behaves much differently under high heat and its components volatize more easily. We concluded that the SJ formula was better in this respect.

I don't know if the Trisyn SL and the Supersyn are the same. I just bought a 5qt container of the Supersyn from Walmart last night (it was only $15), and I'm going to have the SJ in my car analyzed in a couple weeks, then run the Supersyn and have it analyzed. Then we'll know whether Supersyn is really "the best Mobil 1 ever", but I probably won't have both analyses until September.

[ June 30, 2002, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: dbrowne1 ]

dbrowne,
In reference to your post about "One of the folks...some analysis and found (???)...We concluded..."
Please do not take this as a flame or harsh, it is not meant to be. I do not blindly put my trust in a company, that is one reason I like this forum here, but I would give the companies such as Pennzoil, Mobil, etc. a little more credit than maybe we do sometimes.
I believe that the tests and analysis they are doing are vastly superior and with a higher quality knowledge and experience than any we are doing. Not that ours would be of "no" value, but as Bob himself states (and is unfairly criticized by some who do not take the time to read and listen to what he has said himself in refernce to his videos)these are not scientific, just some personal observations.
I know that the bottom line is profit, if you do not have it you do not stay in business. But those who keep delivering QUALITY products earn the reputation and strive to do both: make profits while still delivering state of the art quality products.
Sorry for being so long, but back to your post. Here is my experience: yesterday (6/29/02) I went on a little over a 100 mile trip. We up here in northern Minnesota are having some hot weather (mid 90's and humid), it has been worse I am from Virginia.
My Pontiac Grand Prix LE 3.1 v6(224,000) with 0W30 Mobil 1 Super Syn ran as cool and calm as if it was 50 degrees and April. Not an analysis of any kind but just plain old common sense road experience.
We had a couple of 32 below days past winter and now these temps; I would call that an extreme difference in temperatures for an oil to keep on delivering successfully.
2500 miles on this batch and checked this morning and it is still right on the full mark.

Just my experience with the Mobil 1 0W30 Super Syn.

Thanks to all for your post here, it is a great place to keep coming back to.

Good Day,
Steven

[ June 30, 2002, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: icruse ]

dbrowne,
Thanks for the link. But I do not think I am going to lose any sleep over what I am using now.
But I am looking into other oils now (leaning more to Pennzoil 5W30), because I believe the newer SL's will more than suffice for what I need.
I like value, and that to me means: quality, service, and price. Since the Mobil 1 is going up to $4.79 a quart it is losing its value appeal to me at 7000 mile changes.
Good Day,
Steven

I don't think I'd pay that much for M1 either. I just got a 5qt jug of 5W-30 Supersyn for $15.00 at Walmart. I consider that a fair price for what I'm getting.

For a normally aspirated daily driver, Supersyn is probably more than adequate, as are most oils. I have a modified and turbocharged engine that sees some hard use, so I need to be a little more careful.

I was just at Walmart and noticed that we got a new batch of M1 there, but it's not
Supersyn, but an SL rated Tri-Synthetic! I heard about this on the Edmunds board, I wonder
if it's simply the same old Tri-Synthetic as before, just with the SL labels. Perhaps the SJ
stuff was already good enough to pass the SL rating? I can't see them reformulating just
for that short time, only to reformulate again for SuperSyn.

Also, get this, I saw 6 quarts of Advanced Formula 15w50 Mobil 1! This stuff has to be at least
3 or 4 years old! I guess they had it stuck in a warehouse somewhere, as I never saw these
bottles there before. They looked really old too, the grey bottles were all discolored. It was
funny to see how the Advanced Formula 15w50 flows at lower temps than the new SL
5w30!! My how things have changed for Mobil 1!

I read something about that somewhere, maybe Edmund's. General consensus seemed to be that the SL TrySyn was the same color as the new Supersyn, & was almost certainly the new Supersyn too, maybe done to use up old labels.
dunno.gif

MAJOR LEAGUE THREAD FROM THE DEAD!!!

Originally Posted By: Patman
I was just at Walmart and noticed that we got a new batch of M1 there, but it's not Supersyn, but an SL rated Tri-Synthetic! I heard about this on the Edmunds board, I wonder if it's simply the same old Tri-Synthetic as before, just with the SL labels. Perhaps the SJ stuff was already good enough to pass the SL rating? I can't see them reformulating just for that short time, only to reformulate again for SuperSyn.

Also, get this, I saw 6 quarts of Advanced Formula 15w50 Mobil 1! This stuff has to be at least 3 or 4 years old! I guess they had it stuck in a warehouse somewhere, as I never saw these bottles there before. They looked really old too, the grey bottles were all discolored. It was funny to see how the Advanced Formula 15w50 flows at lower temps than the new SL
5w30!! My how things have changed for Mobil 1!

Well, I was prowling the really old threads, and ran headlong into this one. Yes, it's Patman back in 2002 -- apologizing in advance for -- oh no -- another M1 thread. Gee, could we have forseen where this was going to have gone by 2009!?!
cheers3.gif

I ended up buying some of that SL Tri Synthetic and ran it in my sister's 99 Civic! It was definitely a different formula than the SJ Tri Synthetic was. I still wonder why M1 bothered coming out with that formula when SuperSyn was just around the corner for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back