Another Mixing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil doesn't recommend mixing there oils to achieve a higher wt oil. Is this bc the chemestry is different on many of there formulations? With Mobil 1 it can be done as many do.

The guy at Amsoil gave me some analogy like mixing basket balls with volleyballs doesn't give you baseballs....

In my lubricants training long, long ago, I was taught that viscosity of oil is a result of the molecule size. I'm sure that was over-simplified then and way over-simplified with today's oil chemistry.

To the extent that it's still true, I understand the analogy of considering that a xW-30 be considered like golf ball size, xW-50 considered like volley ball size, and mixing them does not yield baseball sized molecules.

Mobil said that they can be mixed. Did they say that mixing would yield a better performing product? Amsoil doesn't recommend mixing...didn't say that they must not be mixed.

I don't see a conflict. I'll buy an oil that meets all my criteria instead of mixing some home brew. If I want a 40wt, I'll buy a top quality 10W-40 or 15W-40. If I want a heavy 30wt, I'll buy just that, or add some Schaeffer #132 to a light 30 (I know, violates my home brew rule
wink.gif
).

Ken

[ March 28, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back