Another killed in a Honda with Takata airbag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
An exploding Takata air bag has claimed another life, this time a 17-year-old girl whose car crashed near Houston.

The girl is the latest victim of malfunctioning air bag inflators that have killed 10 people in the U.S. and another in Malaysia, touching off the largest automotive recall in U.S. history. More than 100 people have been hurt by the inflators, which can explode with too much force, blowing apart a metal canister and sending shards into drivers and passengers.

Quote:
The girl, from Richmond, Texas, was driving a 2002 Honda Civic in Fort Bend County, Texas, when the car rear-ended another vehicle and the air bags went off, said Sheriff's Deputy Danny Beckworth, who investigated the crash. Shrapnel hit the girl's neck, killing her, said Beckworth, who has not yet determined how fast her car was going.

The crash, Beckworth said, was "moderate" and wouldn't have caused any serious injuries if not for the air bag. "Everybody would have walked away," he said.

Quote:
Completion of the recall repairs have been slowed by a lack of replacement parts. Takata and Honda have recruited other manufacturers to make replacement inflators, but still, only 7.5 million, or about 27 percent of the 28.8 million recalled inflators have been replaced.

The girl's family bought the Civic as a used car, but the date of the sale is not clear, Beckworth said. He said the family was not aware of the recall before the crash.

The Civic was first recalled in 2011, but despite six recall notices, repairs were never completed, the agency said. Honda said in a statement that it mailed multiple notices to several registered owners.

Quote:
Honda has the best completion rate of the 14 automakers with vehicles in the Takata recalls, Thomas said. The company has been using social media and other means to reach out to owners. Honda says replacement parts are now available for inflator recalls announced before this year.

NHTSA has taken over management of the recalls to make sure replacement inflators get to high-humidity areas along the Gulf Coast first.

Texas authorities notified NHTSA of the crash on Friday, and investigators inspected the car Wednesday, according to the agency.

NHTSA says the crash shows how important it is for people to get Takata recall repairs made as quickly as possible.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/honda-reports-10th-us-death-192952748.html

Truly sad and unfortunate. Punishment for the consumer against the big boys is only by way of monetary damages. The big boys appear to be immune to criminal punishment.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Move along, Nothing to see here....Its not a GM Ignition Switch killing people, It's a throat cutting Japanese Product......

Takata or katana?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
So, did the girl receive a recall notice or not?
I have better get beater with a heater in. Feel bad for the girls family.

Quote:
The girl's family bought the Civic as a used car, but the date of the sale is not clear, Beckworth said. He said the family was not aware of the recall before the crash.

The Civic was first recalled in 2011, but despite six recall notices, repairs were never completed, the agency said. Honda said in a statement that it mailed multiple notices to several registered owners.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Truly sad and unfortunate. Punishment for the consumer against the big boys is only by way of monetary damages. The big boys appear to be immune to criminal punishment.

If we followed your rule though then nobody would make any product for fear of a lawsuit and everything would cost 5times as much and be bubblesuited to protect us from ourselves.

Think your hot takes through.
I bet at the same time youre bemoaning all the safety warnings and nanny features on products and how dumb consumers have gotten

Originally Posted By: raytseng

If we followed your rule though then nobody would make any product for fear of a lawsuit and everything would cost 5times as much

You pretty much described the aviation industry right there.

I received my recall notice almost a year ago. But what good does it do me? There are no parts available to perform this recall and there won't be for a while.

Sad. I wonder if the owner was aware of the recall? I know some people who are being really lazy about taking their cars in. 2002 is thee or one of the earliest models that had failures. When someone died years ago in a Civic of that vintage it was decided it was a fluke. I have paid close attention to this over the years. When the story started to get real traction the general public was treating Honda like this was a problem that just existed in their brand. I knew better. Honda's stock, HMC, took a bit of a beating. I bought a bunch of $30 call options when it was trading in the higher 20's and I had a 100% gain in short time, after the media got around to flaunting all the other brands needing recalls.

I see HMC trading is trading at 26, even lower. Might be a decent trade for anyone interested.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I received my recall notice almost a year ago. But what good does it do me? There are no parts available to perform this recall and there won't be for a while.

Exactly! What good is a recall notice if the parts aren't available.

Senseless and completely avoidable tragic loss.

I received a recall notice for my BMW nearly a year ago. Called dealer multiple times and BMW NA (pre-recorded message only) saying essentially they'll get back to me when parts are available. Nice to know I have to drive around with a potential time bomb in front of my face. Makes one wonder if they are slow walking this having done the calculation of how many cars will be off the road and not need the repair for every month they wait. NTSB could make this happen faster if they wanted including blocking state registration of affected vehicles and sales of affected used cars except for the lobbying of the NADA and auto manufacturers.

I received a recall notice maybe 8 months ago now for my 08 Mustang (05-14' mustangs in the recall). However, they dont have any parts to fix it. All they did was notify me the airbag may kill me. Thanks.

I dont understand why Honda, Toyota and others who have these bags dont disable the air bags, or tell the customers here is the fuse in the box to pull which will disable the air bag.
I was reading in another story Toyota is putting "Dont sit here" decals on the passanger side for the pass side air bag, but they say it could be months before they get enough spares to replace.

Article also ripped Honda, claiming they and Takata knew back in 2004 there was a problem and covered it up until 2013.

Guess Honda corp management is as corrupt as everyone else, hope CR takes note!

Originally Posted By: VNTS
I dont understand why Honda, Toyota and others who have these bags dont disable the air bags, or tell the customers here is the fuse in the box to pull which will disable the air bag.
I was reading in another story Toyota is putting "Dont sit here" decals on the passanger side for the pass side air bag, but they say it could be months before they get enough spares to replace.

Article also ripped Honda, claiming they and Takata knew back in 2004 there was a problem and covered it up until 2013.

Guess Honda corp management is as corrupt as everyone else, hope CR takes note!

The vast majority of the affected airbags that have deployed, have done so with no shrapnel related injuries. It's probably safe to assume that injury and death have been avoided or reduced in at least some of these cases due to proper inflation of the bags. What do you suppose would happen if the automakers had disabled those airbags?

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
Senseless and completely avoidable tragic loss.

I received a recall notice for my BMW nearly a year ago. Called dealer multiple times and BMW NA (pre-recorded message only) saying essentially they'll get back to me when parts are available. Nice to know I have to drive around with a potential time bomb in front of my face. Makes one wonder if they are slow walking this having done the calculation of how many cars will be off the road and not need the repair for every month they wait. NTSB could make this happen faster if they wanted including blocking state registration of affected vehicles and sales of affected used cars except for the lobbying of the NADA and auto manufacturers.

Yeah, great idea...now, the guy that needs his car to get to work is totally screwed, because the parts to fix the problem SIMPLY ARE NOT AVAILABLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back