Another Jiffy Boob screw up

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Papa Bear:
The litigation may be costlier than the new engine.
P.B.

A well written letter from an attorney should losen them up for a couple hundred dollars. Jiffy Boobs position is weak, they know it (at least at corporate level) and are just trying to save money.

I wonder statisically what JL's success rate is; I bet it is pretty good overall. Everyone has heard one of these JL situations, just as everyone has heard of someone winning lotto.

In any situation where something is done repeatedly, for hundreds of thousands of times, a 99.99% success rate SEEMS good enough, but its that .01% that causes big trouble. Do pharmacists fill prescriptions at a better success rate?

I am no defender of JL primarly because those places push unneeded services by use of scare tactics.

I seem to recall a BITOG member changing his oil and the oil filter left the old seal on the engine block causing a double gasket issue and eventual oil leak. Gee what's the chance of that happening?

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Boston:
(...snip...)
Are you licensed to practice in Kansas...please?

Sorry . . . just Florida.
wink.gif

======================================

quote:

Originally posted by Papa Bear:
The litigation may be costlier than the new engine.
P.B.

Quite true, but dig a bit deeper. Usually, the taxable costs ("taxable" = most basic, necessary items, subject to judge's review) will be assessed against the loser. This does not include atty fees, for which there are other strategies. Anyway, with a little forethought, the spectre of being made to pay the owner's litigation costs, on top of the engine transplant, can be used to dramaticallly increase the owner's leverage against JL. This sort of pressure, carefully applied at the right time, is what usually gets this sort of case settled on terms better than the JL initially had in mind for its unfortunate customer.

=======================================

quote:

Originally posted by akuska:
What's the small claims court limit in Florida? If it is $5,000, it might be enough to replace an engine. In small claims court, there are no lawyers, and historically those courts are favorable to plaintiffs.

If it does go down to fighting insurance companies, State Farm might help, although you'd still be out the deductible in the meantime. Don't expect it to be quick, either. My dad was in a minor collision with an underinsured driver. All it needed was a bumper repair, but it has been a bit of a hassle, since the other driver's insurer was a cut-rate company who only wanted to pay $350 to do what was obviously at least a $1,000 job.

Small claims in FL is $5k. Lawyers are optional, not prohibited. Interestingly, some engine cases would fall in SCC, some above it. I'd have no hesitation about going SC in the right case. I've made very effective use of the relaxed small claims rules to help clients in appropriate cases. Of course, I'm in business (well, I'll be back in business when Uncle Sam lets me go... EDIT -- I mean, of course, from active duty -- not, like, federal prison.
wink.gif
) to make a living too, so I have to charge a rate that covers my overhead and generates a profit. At some point as cases become small enough, it no longer makes economic sense for the client to hire a lawyer. Where that line lies is a judgment call. Lawyer or not, small claims move a heck of a lot faster than either $5k+ cases in county court, or the big civil claims in circuit court ($15k or above).
cheers.gif

[ May 29, 2006, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: ekpolk ]

Just more and more reasons to avoid any establishment claiming to specialize in rapid oil changes. Although not knowing what the oil light means is pretty sad too. You would think folks who spent something like $20k on a complex machine would bother to read the owner's manual.

Ok,heres the latest; the tech was fired!JL is paying to have a "new" 05 4.2V6 installed!This was settled between my friends lawyer and JL.The engine was ordered today,should be here tomorrow,and complete by Saturday.Lucky him!
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter:
Ok,heres the latest; the tech was fired!JL is paying to have a "new" 05 4.2V6 installed!This was settled between my friends lawyer and JL.The engine was ordered today,should be here tomorrow,and complete by Saturday.Lucky him!
cool.gif

Well, this should keep the lawyer haters under wraps -- for a little while at least. No undocumented junkyard motor for this poor guy! As a lawyer, who makes a living because of situations like this, I'll be the first to stand up and say that it shouldn't be this way. If the Jiffy Lubes and insurance companies of the world treated little guys halfway fairly just half of the time, there'd be no market for guys like me and I'd have to go find work elsewhere. . . But no, when they see you trying to go it alone, you get the, "you'll get the junkyard motor installed by our shop, final offer, take it or leave it" routine. Then they act shocked when the lawyer appears.
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, I'm glad it turned out at least partly OK for your friend.
cheers.gif

Ford dealer would get my future business. Actually, my MIL's Audi went to the local Ford dealer for OC and tire work, skipped the JL thing. Seriously, quick lubes are the worst place for a ...quick lube! Better off at a full(er) service shop, dealer or even a tire chain. I'm partial to Bridgestone Service Centers...Kendall, yay!

I've been out of town for a few days and I was surprised to see the title of this thread. I immediately thought of a quick oil change place that was in business briefly here in Des Moines called "Boob n'Lube"(!). This shop featured a very scantily dressed young lady that cleaned the vehicles windows while the tech changed the oil. The place went out of business before I needed an oil change, however.

quote:

Originally posted by Evil Ron:
I've been out of town for a few days and I was surprised to see the title of this thread. I immediately thought of a quick oil change place that was in business briefly here in Des Moines called "Boob n'Lube"(!). This shop featured a very scantily dressed young lady that cleaned the vehicles windows while the tech changed the oil. The place went out of business before I needed an oil change, however.

Iowa, huh?

Wrong business plan. Shoulda' left the bikini out and have some hayseed in bib overalls with a piece of straw hangin' outta' the corner of his mouth wipin' them thar winders' with a red bandana kept in the back pocket.

A hunk of spit cast upon the hard-to-get-off dried bug splat and the local yokels woulda' been lined up around the block.

Yep. Things a bit different in Iowa.

Wouldn't a suitable punishment be for JL to also give them free oil changes for life? This way JL would be reminded of their own mistake every few months (and maybe learn something). Isn't there a legal term for this, like 'perpetual restitution' or something? On the other hand, I doubt the owner would much enjoy returning to the scene of the crime, unless they had a vindictive nature.

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
Ford dealer would get my future business. Actually, my MIL's Audi went to the local Ford dealer for OC and tire work, skipped the JL thing. Seriously, quick lubes are the worst place for a ...quick lube! Better off at a full(er) service shop, dealer or even a tire chain. I'm partial to
Bridgestone Service Centers...Kendall, yay!

The tire chains here here in Florida are a total nightmare.They sabataged my friends 03 Mustang a couple of weeks ago saying he had a bad oil leak.They got ****** when he told them he didn't want the work done to a tune of 800 bucks.He took it to Ford and Ford said somebody put oil all over the oil pan to look like it had a bad leak.

Needless to say he will be going to Ford for oil changes and everything else for now.

I would say STAY OUT OF TIRE SHOPS unless you need tires.But nothing else.I've know a ton of other people who had nightmare stories about tireshops.

The ONLY one that might be decent is Sears.But then it all depends on the workers.

I've heard nothing but bad news about Jiffy from New York to Miami.How they stay in buisness in beyond me.

quote:

The tire chains here here in Florida are a total nightmare.They sabataged my friends 03 Mustang a couple of weeks ago saying he had a bad oil leak.They got ****** when he told them he didn't want the work done to a tune of 800 bucks.He took it to Ford and Ford said somebody put oil all over the oil pan to look like it had a bad leak.

Needless to say he will be going to Ford for oil changes and everything else for now.

I would say STAY OUT OF TIRE SHOPS unless you need tires.But nothing else.I've know a ton of other people who had nightmare stories about tireshops.

Totally agree.

Local tire shops here continually invent problems that don't actually exist.

Additionally, despite all my negative comments about "stealerships" over the past few weeks, I will continue to take my car to my local Ford dealer for at least oil changes. Dealer Service Depasrtment install my oil and filter for a very reasonable cost and do so in an acceptable timeframe.

quote:

Originally posted by Evil Ron:

Seems like all the good places go under.
frown.gif

"The ONLY one that might be decent is Sears." Sears was prosecuted a few years ago for auto repair fraud. The local Firestone/Bridgestone shop seems reputable...I've bought tires and had alignment done there, and watch other cars' repairs. Seems OK to me.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back