Another Jiffy Boob screw up

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fellow workmate bought an 05 F150,4.2V6,23K miles,about 2 weeks ago.His wife took it to Jiffy Boob this past Wednesday for an oil change.About 1 mile from home the truck started knocking,shaking and then quit.She walked home and had her son go back to the truck to see what was wrong.Well,when he noticed the oil trail he then looked under the truck to see there was no drain plug in the pan!They rode up to Jiffy Boob to get the mgr. to show him what happened,and called her local State Farm rep also to the scene.Anyway,the Boob tech forgot to tighten the plug so now Jiffy Boob has to replace the engine.It should be done by next weekend.Yet,another reason not to have your oil changed there!
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
And here I thought this was gonna be about some Beverly Hills plastic surgeon!

Nah, you're confusing the oil change places with the schlock Gypie Boob chain of bosom augmentation clinics: "In by nine, 'out' by ten!"

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
NOT a new engine, rather a used junkyard one. Waa-waa.

What Auto-Union said! Whoever underwrites the local Jiffy Boob insurance will only replace the engine with a "like engine". So unless they trucked it in with 0 miles for the change, they will subcontract it out to a local shop that more or likely will not be a Ford dealer, for repair with a used engine. Which means the insurance for Jiffy Boob will use the lowest bidder who will cut corners wherever possible to make the most money.

I would cringe to have this done as this will not be a simple job.

I would also bet a $20 that the wifey did not pull over once the oil light came on and if she did, might have saved the engine. Not to excuse Jiffy Boob but women will do this anyways.

Hootbro

Another reason women should not be allowed to drive in USA.
Men in Mideastern countries are wiser, they do not permit women to drive, it saves resources in many areas, that is why their gasoline price is 33 cents per gallon.

I know of three men who drove their cars until the engines seized up by going with the oil light lit up. One of them had just been to an oil change place, and they told him it was normal for the oil light to be on after an oil change.

quote:

Originally posted by Bernard Feltzer:

Men in Mideastern countries are wiser...that is why their gasoline price is 33 cents per gallon.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they own all of the crude oil already?

Just thinkin' out loud.

quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:

quote:

What Auto-Union said! Whoever underwrites the local Jiffy Boob insurance will only replace the engine with a "like engine". So unless they trucked it in with 0 miles for the change, they will subcontract it out to a local shop that more or likely will not be a Ford dealer, for repair with a used engine. Which means the insurance for Jiffy Boob will use the lowest bidder who will cut corners wherever possible to make the most money.

I would also bet a $20 that the wifey did not pull over once the oil light came on and if she did, might have saved the engine. Not to excuse Jiffy Boob but women will do this anyways.

Hootbro

Technically correct, but much less of a problem in a vehicle this new, vs. a heavily used one. As an owner's attorney, I really wouldn't care what JL's insurer will or will not do. The owner's claim is against JL, not JL's ins co. I've had several situations in FL in which I've been successful in getting a client's car replaced with a new one (in technical terms, totalled at purchase price, not depreciated value). This typically happens in cases in which the car is close to new so that the ins co realized that no jury is going to "buy" the depreciated value as a fair one, and they want to avoid a fight. I'd take a similar approach here. I'd also argue, especially if the owner had a documented service history, that no undocumented "junkyard" motor could ever be proven to be the equivalent of the engine they killed.

Again, if JL has a bad insurer, that's their problem. No client of mine would ever have to settle for having his engine transplant done in the low-bidder shop chosen by JL's insurer. That's a no-brainer. The owner chooses where his repair gets done. If JL balks, we'd be off to court immediately.

If they won't do it right, the owner should indeed get a good lawyer, take them to court. Let JL pressure the insurer about why they're being dragged through a court battle. My guess is that as soon as they've been served, the tune changes. . .

Lastly, I know plenty of guys who'd at least hesitate on an O/P light long enough that the damage would be done. And besides, with a massive loss of oil like this, and the resulting immediate, complete loss of pressure, while the engine's being driven, that engine was probably damaged beyond repair within seconds of the light coming on. It matters not at all who was driving in this case.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:

quote:

Hootbro

Technically correct, but much less of a problem in a vehicle this new, vs. a heavily used one. As an owner's attorney, I really wouldn't care what JL's insurer will or will not do. The owner's claim is against JL, not JL's ins co. I've had several situations in FL in which I've been successful in getting a client's car replaced with a new one (in technical terms, totalled at purchase price, not depreciated value). This typically happens in cases in which the car is close to new so that the ins co realized that no jury is going to "buy" the depreciated value as a fair one, and they want to avoid a fight. I'd take a similar approach here. I'd also argue, especially if the owner had a documented service history, that no undocumented "junkyard" motor could ever be proven to be the equivalent of the engine they killed.

Again, if JL has a bad insurer, that's their problem. No client of mine would ever have to settle for having his engine transplant done in the low-bidder shop chosen by JL's insurer. That's a no-brainer. The owner chooses where his repair gets done. If JL balks, we'd be off to court immediately.

If they won't do it right, the owner should indeed get a good lawyer, take them to court. Let JL pressure the insurer about why they're being dragged through a court battle. My guess is that as soon as they've been served, the tune changes. . .

Lastly, I know plenty of guys who'd at least hesitate on an O/P light long enough that the damage would be done. And besides, with a massive loss of oil like this, and the resulting immediate, complete loss of pressure, while the engine's being driven, that engine was probably damaged beyond repair within seconds of the light coming on. It matters not at all who was driving in this case.

Are you licensed to practice in Kansas...please?

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
I know of three men who drove their cars until the engines seized up by going with the oil light lit up. One of them had just been to an oil change place, and they told him it was normal for the oil light to be on after an oil change.

It amazes me how these big corporations take decent people with some common sense, take them to a training class, and when they come back to manage their stores they have been replaced with cynical doofuses.
shocked.gif
From what I've seen growing up, and recently in a relatives' vehicle, an idiot light is nothing to ignore:
crushedcar.gif
In my opinion, having seen a few long gone car care shows say adamantly "The lights are NOT called Idiot Lights. They are called WARNING lights." Yeah, whatever. Anyone whom drives with the oil light on deserves to be known as an idiot.
rolleyes.gif

I work at a small town Chev.-Buick dealer, when Jiffy came in we expected it to cost us some business, but as it now appears they have improved ours. We get new to the area GM owners who have had problems with their service, we sell them specialty fluids (like Autotrac) to use there, and so far we've installed three used engines in cars they've fried. The used engines were sent to us by them from a very large recycler in our area, the engines had less miles than the ones we took out, they told us they try to use dealers of the same brand as the car for installations. I would have taken any of the engines they sent, no problem. My question is, this is just one location, are they really making money? The worst job in the country has to be the guy that handles their customer complaints.

What's the small claims court limit in Florida? If it is $5,000, it might be enough to replace an engine. In small claims court, there are no lawyers, and historically those courts are favorable to plaintiffs.

If it does go down to fighting insurance companies, State Farm might help, although you'd still be out the deductible in the meantime. Don't expect it to be quick, either. My dad was in a minor collision with an underinsured driver. All it needed was a bumper repair, but it has been a bit of a hassle, since the other driver's insurer was a cut-rate company who only wanted to pay $350 to do what was obviously at least a $1,000 job.

quote:

Originally posted by Vuser:
Anyone whom drives with the oil light on deserves to be known as an idiot.
rolleyes.gif

That's "Anyone who drives..." not "whom."
grin.gif

The damaged engine was still under warranty from ford. A used engine would not be warrantied by ford. Finding a used engine with less mileage might be difficult. It will be less of a hassle in the end for everybody involved to simply have a ford dealer install either a new or remanufactured engine with a warranty. I predict that will be the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back