Another Isuzu Trooper Mobil 1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the results from two consectutive UOAs from Scahaefer's for the Board's reading pleasure.

Questions and/or comments are welcome.

Vehicle: 2001 Trooper 3.5 liter gasoline
Oil: Mobil 1 0W-40
Oil Filter: Mobil 1 for both intervals
Air filter: original stock (Denso, made in Japan)
Conditions: mostly daily suburban driving in New Jersey (lots of 2-10 mile trips), with a 1500 mile vacation trip two per year.

First column are results using Mobil 1 5W-30, no makeup oil, sample dated 12/20/2002, 2010 miles on oil

Second column are results using Mobil 1 0W-40, one quart makeup oil, sample dated 8/4/03, 6018 miles on oil.

Total vehicle miles on 8/4/03 were 24,910. Not sure what oils were used prior to these intervals since car was purchased used last fall.

CU 2 6
FE 7 23
Chromium 2 4
AL 2 3
PB 1 6
Moly 90 105
Phos 1059 1235
ZN 1063 1172
Mag 25 29
CA 3186 3639
Anti freeze .0 .0
Fuel N N
H2O .0 .0
Silicon 4 7
Visc 9.25 12.32
sulfer 4 15
oxidation 11 0
nitration 13 26

Definitely good reports. For the most part 3 times the miles 3 times the wear. Lead is interesting-yet they are pretty small numbers for lead. As usual the 0W-40 is 0W-30. I bet the 10W-30 beats em both
smile.gif
And in New Jersey that would work for you. Thanks for posting. Good numbers on the Silicon BTW
smile.gif

You raise an interesting point Al, three times the mileage and three times the wear. Obviously it would be better if he used the exact same oil both times, but I do believe this illustrates that those people who change their synthetic oil every 2 or 3k aren't lowering their overall engine wear at all compared to those doing 6k intervals.

If this method did result in more wear, we'd see 4 or 5 times higher wear when doing 3x the mileage.

[ September 02, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Schaefer's doesn't report the insolubles, but I think the oxidation number takes those into account. Since the oxidation number is zero (is this possible?) I assume the insolubles must be very low...just a guess though.

quote:

Originally posted by pinoy99:
Where does the 1qt makeup/dilution fit into the 3x mileage/3x wear equation?

You make a god point pinoy. I hadn't noticed that
frown.gif
. In general if you use a quart and your crankcase capacity is say 4 quarts. I think you would have about a 25% reduction in wear materials as well as a corresponding increase in additives.
smile.gif

This is an "ok" report, but it could be much better IMO. Yes, once again it thinned out but like Al said, it would thicken in time. 1qt of makeup oil is good for 6k miles, depending on engine obviously, but still didn't really help the wear metals look any better.

Hmmn, so the 2001 motor use(some) oil as well.

Where does the 1qt makeup/dilution fit into the 3x mileage/3x wear equation?

What's the insolubes %?

Looking over all the results on Troopers using the search function, with the exception of an engine that I think was having problems, the M1 did not do as well as I would have expected it to. It is not BAD; it just isn't where I would expect it to be based on the other reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back