Another Interesting 5w-20 Observation - Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Of course, I doubt she'd notice anything short of huge orange flames erupting from under the hood, but that's another issue...
wink.gif

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Well, that wouldn't make her any different than 99% of the rest of the female drivers out there.....

Of course, I doubt she'd notice anything short of huge orange flames erupting from under the hood, but that's another issue...
wink.gif

That's a woman for you. I've come to the conclusion that a typical woman would not notice a change in a vehicle unless she was ejected from it while going down the highway.

I've chastised my GF on numerous occasions for running ethanol blended gas in our Buick. She fills up on it on the sly because it's an average a nickel cheaper than regular gas. She always denies it then comes clean about it later on, then wonders how I know. I say that it's pretty obvious being that there's no power and the car just limps along with horrible gas mileage. It's like night and day, yet she notices absolutely no difference.

My wife is zact opposite. She's got her finger on the pulse of everything. It's part of her baseline anxiety quotient. It resides just below the surface but is hair triggered upon being exposed. Life is micro management for her. She doesn't tailgate (other thread) ..but she definitely does every maneuver in a "gotta get there!!" manner. So, while not being reckless in terms of conduct behind the wheel, she's a carrier for distress/hyper tension. There's no way to relax as a passenger with her behind the wheel. For her, there's no way to relax with anyone else behind the wheel.

If something is "unright" ..she's on me to find it and fix it. Nothing can be allowed to get in the way of her agenda ..whatever that really is. It's sorta like a race with no finish line ..or so I reckon
54.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Did Mrs.ekpolk know there was a different oil in the toy?
Did Mrs.ekpolk notice ant thing other than mpgs?

As to the first, yes, I spoiled things a tad by telling her what I'd done. She reported driving as usual (i.e. fast...), and that the car exhibited nothing unusual to her perception. Of course, I doubt she'd notice anything short of huge orange flames erupting from under the hood, but that's another issue...
wink.gif

\

Does she drive a pickup truck sometimes?
25464truckfirezp5.jpg

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
My wife is zact opposite. She's got her finger on the pulse of everything. It's part of her baseline anxiety quotient. It resides just below the surface but is hair triggered upon being exposed. Life is micro management for her. She doesn't tailgate (other thread) ..but she definitely does every maneuver in a "gotta get there!!" manner. So, while not being reckless in terms of conduct behind the wheel, she's a carrier for distress/hyper tension. There's no way to relax as a passenger with her behind the wheel. For her, there's no way to relax with anyone else behind the wheel.

If something is "unright" ..she's on me to find it and fix it. Nothing can be allowed to get in the way of her agenda ..whatever that really is. It's sorta like a race with no finish line ..or so I reckon
54.gif

My wife is the exact opposite. Nothing bothers her, everything is perfect, fine dandy, nothing is ever wrong. I'm the complete opposite, and being around someone so relaxed and upbeat stresses me!
LOL.gif

Frank D

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Did Mrs.ekpolk know there was a different oil in the toy?
Did Mrs.ekpolk notice ant thing other than mpgs?

As to the first, yes, I spoiled things a tad by telling her what I'd done. She reported driving as usual (i.e. fast...), and that the car exhibited nothing unusual to her perception. Of course, I doubt she'd notice anything short of huge orange flames erupting from under the hood, but that's another issue...
wink.gif

\

Does she drive a pickup truck sometimes?
25464truckfirezp5.jpg

ROFL, ROFL... (to all of you actually).

I do suspect that she'd notice the phenomenon that's taking place under the hood of that poor Ranger.

Now, you're not suggesting that this was a result of using 5w-20, are you???
wink.gif

EDIT: Of course, this picture is all the more priceless, given the painted-on flames adorning the side of this doomed Ranger.

Last edited:

54.gif

My wife is kinda similiar, she brings up everything wrong in a vehicle and expects me to fix it. That's why she couldn't drive the 96 sunfire and she's driving the 06 Vibe. I have a relaxed attitude, she's high maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
I've learned that all data is invalid on BITOG.

That only applies to Amsoil users. EKPolk is exempt. His claims are golden.
grin2.gif
whistle.gif
blush.gif
LOL.gif

see I remembered to use smileys

The truth shall set you free
48.gif

My wife hears every rattle, creek, and squeak. Unfortunately, she doesn't demand for the car to be fixed, she wants it replaced. I have not had a new vehicle in 16 years. With the new credit crunch, neither will she ;). Now that I'm thinking about it, the next brake job will warrant the cheapest pads I can find.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

My wife is the exact opposite. Nothing bothers her, everything is perfect, fine dandy, nothing is ever wrong. I'm the complete opposite, and being around someone so relaxed and upbeat stresses me!
LOL.gif

Frank D

I hear you. My wife is the same as yours. I could probably put 140W gear oil in the engine and she wouldn't notice. She does tell me daily about the idiots that pulled out in front of her or cut her off!
LOL.gif

Seriously though on the original topic of PP - I changed to PP 5W-20 in my 04 MGM w/ 4.6L engine. After about 300 miles the start up noise at cold start has gone away.
Before anyone asks - I'm using the same filter, Motorcraft FL820S. When I bought this car in Feb. I bought about 5 filters at Wallymart.

Last edited:
It's sorta like a race with no finish line ..or so I reckon
54.gif

LOL.gif

Never been put better brother! She's 5 levels higher then I in the 'get stuff done' dept. Just thinking of keeping up hurts :)

I ran GC 0w30 in my wife's Honda for a few years, and when I switched it over to 5w20 I noticed no difference in MPG at all. She still gets a consistent 22-24 MPG in her weekly commute (city type driving, short trips)

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

LOL.gif

Frank D

I feel like I could've written that post!

I switched over an 03 Spec V (Glorified Nissan Sentra) to 5w20 RP from 5w30 and got worse MPG. UOAs were a little worse on the 5w20 too. I hear and see that Nissans like viscocity though, to a point.

Now, you're not suggesting that this was a result of using 5w-20, are you???
wink.gif

EDIT: Of course, this picture is all the more priceless, given the painted-on flames adorning the side of this doomed Ranger.

No, no, no! 5W-20 is okay, it wouldn't cause a fire, but now 0W-20 or OW-30 is SO thin that it will cause fires like that EVERY time!
15.gif
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif

(To all the newbies - this is a joke!!!!!)

Last edited:

wink.gif

EK, That's like the warning in the NATOPS manuals: "At the first sign of visible flames, EJECT!". That Avalon have Martin Bakers in it?
crackmeup2.gif

Sorry, Marine, we Squids have NO sense of decency, as you well know!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toocrazy2yoo

wink.gif

EK, That's like the warning in the NATOPS manuals: "At the first sign of visible flames, EJECT!". That Avalon have Martin Bakers in it?
crackmeup2.gif

Sorry, Marine, we Squids have NO sense of decency, as you well know!

Alas, no Martin-Bakers installed the the Avalon -- waaaay too hard for use in a 'lon... That said, on more than one occasion, I've fantasized about having a James Bond style "passenger eject" feature in the car I'm driving.
wink.gif

===========================================================

Originally Posted By: Patman
I ran GC 0w30 in my wife's Honda for a few years, and when I switched it over to 5w20 I noticed no difference in MPG at all. She still gets a consistent 22-24 MPG in her weekly commute (city type driving, short trips)

I wonder if this apparent discrepancy might not be attributable to the different driving situations. In a city driving context, it would be a lot easier to "use up" any reduced friction gains by inadvertently driving somewhat faster, in effect making the gain go to speed performance instead of mpg performance. By contrast, if one pretty consistently drives the same indicated speed, in my wife's case a tad over 80 mpg, presumably the gain from reduced friction would actually show up as a reduction in fuel consumed.

I think 5w-20 benefits two types of drivers. The short trippers get good flow when they hammer the minivan out of the driveway and long trippers get a nice mpg bump. Performance drivers might need to think about it a little, is 5w-20 for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back