Another Iffy Lube boo boo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something to watch out for if you have your car serviced at fast lubes.

MY daughter's Sebring over heated and tripped the idiot light about two weeks after a fast lube visit. They alerted her to the funny looking coolant condition.....color less Zerex G05 installed by me last summer.

They failed to lock the radiator cap to the last detent and it slowly lost about a gallon of coolant over the next weeks. Luckily my daughter stopped driving it immediately until I could fill the system back up.

Yep...ALWAYS check every cap under the hood after taking your vehicle anywhere. I hate those "courtesy inspections" or whatever they call them.

your a BITOG'er and you let her go to a fast lube?
crazy2.gif

I finally took the ranger to the dealer for the speed control recall a couple of weeks ago, and the service writer asked if I wold like a complimentary 39 pt. inspection to which I immeadiatey replied "NO"

I always think that complimentary xx inspections really mean automatic upcharge in dealer speak. You just know they are going to find SOMETHING wrong that they can charge you big dollars for.

Last edited:
When I go to have tires mounted at Tire Kingdom, they tell me that they will do a 'free' 25 point inspection.

I demand that they only install the tires, no top off of any fluids or any preventive maintenance.

only at the professionals at Jiffy Boob. they will fix you up in a jiffy alright
57.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
You just know they are going to do SOMETHING wrong that you will pay you big dollars for.

Fixed it for ya!

I remember I went to NTB to get two rear tires one time.........I get home,pop my hood,and the oil dipstick is like halfway out? W-t-f were those stupid fu*ks doing checking my oil? That really pizzed me off to the point I almost drove back and kicked the dude`s a$$. Makes me wish I had the equipment to install my own tires!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I remember I went to NTB to get two rear tires one time.........I get home,pop my hood,and the oil dipstick is like halfway out? W-t-f were those stupid fu*ks doing checking my oil? That really pizzed me off to the point I almost drove back and kicked the dude`s a$$. Makes me wish I had the equipment to install my own tires!

next time pull the tires and take 'em in...

I have never had a fast lube place screw up the actual oil change... I always go to Mr. Lube.

Yes... horrors that I actually use the place. Unfortunately, while I do have the know-how to do this job I don't have the facilities.

After exiting their garage I always head for the mall parking lot across the street to pop the hood and check things out for myself.

I DO have 2 issues with the place where I go...

-They always request to check the air in the tires. Thanks but no thanks... I always check the pressure cold and have my own portable air compressor.

-The last time they managed to pop-off the radiator cap BEFORE I could tell them to NOT check the coolant. I absolutely hate this and it always results in hot coolant spillage under the hood, steam and a lingering coolant smell for a long time. Next time they will be told to NOT check the coolant.

I think there is some method to them always wanting to shove a free newspaper in my face... so my face will be buried in the newspaper while they do their nonsense under the hood.

I have only ever had several oil changes screwed-up at a Toyota dealership. Several times they filled with conventional when I asked for synthetic. One time I open the hood to find the oil dip stick laying across the engine... oh how nice! I could see that getting tangled up in the belts, getting spit out on the road and screwing up the belts at the same time... ah yes another trip to the dealership for a new oil dipstick and belt change... with me wondering what the heck happened under there.

I always take the wheels off a vehicle and take them in loose to a tire shop(usually Costco because their prices can't be beat). This way I know the lug nuts are torqued down properly and there is no danger of warped rotors. Also no risk of cracked plastic centre caps on truck wheels because the plastic cap retaining nuts were tightened with an impact gun. The centre caps + emblem (GMC or Chevy) are expensive at 90$ a pop.

A side benefit to taking wheels in loose is that if I anticipate any difficulty because of the tire size I have chosen, I just tell them the wheels are off a trailer so they can't tell me "Sir, we cannot sell you that size because your truck did not come with it".

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
You just know they are going to do SOMETHING wrong that you will pay you big dollars for.

Fixed it for ya!

NICE!!!

I had gone to firestone for some tires (junk) and the guy got my truck on the rack, opened the hood and started checking the oil, and went for the power steering cap, and looked like he was trying to fiddle with stuff... I rand into the bay an told him not to touch anyhing... dude, just install the tires, I don't want nothig else messed with.

Also had taken the truck in for an alignment at the dealer, they came back and said the mechanic reccommended a t-stat, trans fluid change, diff service, plugs and wires. I told them I would call and setup an appoointment after I got my next paycheck (trying to keep a staight face)... wow... all that stuff was fairly new... my engine bay is somewhat dirty so it looks like the stuff was old, but it wasn't... nice upsale

About five years ago I made the mistake of going to Jiffyboob and they overfilled my crankcase and installed the wrong oil filter.

I was just leaving on a 650 mile trip and didn't have the time to mess with it myself. I should have. They blew out the rear oil pan gasket.

I pulled over to gas up about 200 miles into the trip and found about a 6 inch oil puddle under the car which fixed itself (to a certain extent) once I put on the right filter and lowered the oil level.

All this time I thought it was the rear main seal leaking and I just kept adding oil. A quart of mobil 1 about every 1000 miles. The car sat a lot for the last 11 years so the oil adds weren't THAT painful money wise.

I just pulled the oil pan recemtly and replaced the gasket and the problem is solved. It wasn't the rear main.

I have been back to changing my own oil ever since just as before. I only had someone else do it once in a while. I find the time and if I have to I'll do it in a parking lot. All I need is a drain pan, a 9/16 wrench, an oil filter wrench and about 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
When I go to have tires mounted at Tire Kingdom, they tell me that they will do a 'free' 25 point inspection.

I demand that they only install the tires, no top off of any fluids or any preventive maintenance.

Our local tire franchise doesn't ask you about checking brakes, front end parts, or anything else they can upsell you, they just do it, then report the bad news. They told me my van that has king pins needed ball joints. Then told me because they could see rivits on the rear brake shoes that they were worn out. I politely told the tech that my van had king pins not ball joints, and that the rear brakes were rivited and not bonded and had hardly any wear at all. At that point I suggested he put the tires on, not touch the alignment, which was part of the job, and try his little tricks on someone else. They ended up damaging 2 center caps, which cost them a new set of 4. I'll never go back there.

I took the van a local guy that does alignments, and said do me a favor and check the front end out before you align it, something they do automatically. He told me the front end was like new, I told him what the tire shop told me I needed ball joints, we both had a good laugh. I wonder how many people are ripped off a day at these places.

Originally Posted By: Paul56
I have never had a fast lube place screw up the actual oil change... I always go to Mr. Lube.

Yes... horrors that I actually use the place. Unfortunately, while I do have the know-how to do this job I don't have the facilities.

After exiting their garage I always head for the mall parking lot across the street to pop the hood and check things out for myself.

I DO have 2 issues with the place where I go...

-They always request to check the air in the tires. Thanks but no thanks... I always check the pressure cold and have my own portable air compressor.

-The last time they managed to pop-off the radiator cap BEFORE I could tell them to NOT check the coolant. I absolutely hate this and it always results in hot coolant spillage under the hood, steam and a lingering coolant smell for a long time. Next time they will be told to NOT check the coolant.

I think there is some method to them always wanting to shove a free newspaper in my face... so my face will be buried in the newspaper while they do their nonsense under the hood.

I have only ever had several oil changes screwed-up at a Toyota dealership. Several times they filled with conventional when I asked for synthetic. One time I open the hood to find the oil dip stick laying across the engine... oh how nice! I could see that getting tangled up in the belts, getting spit out on the road and screwing up the belts at the same time... ah yes another trip to the dealership for a new oil dipstick and belt change... with me wondering what the heck happened under there.

At my shop, we offer tire checks for the customer as a free check. Alot of people are busy and don't have time.

LOL and the newspaper thing? We give customers a newspaper if they want one so they arent bored out of their mind waiting.
Maybe you should go to a trust worthy lube shop and chillax.

I can honestly say Valvoline Instant Oil Change does a pretty good job w/the company's Ford van-but, at around $115 for an oil change-they BETTER do it right. That said, NOBODY touches anything of mine, but me!!

I can usually find 20 minutes to change oil. Even if it's laying in snow, I'd much rather do it right than pay somebody to muck it up.

Had an issue with Wal-Mart Tire & Lube Express installing defective valve stems with new tires. Valve stems blew out after 6 months when checking the tire pressure, so they replaced the stems and paid for the hubcaps the tech violently wrenched off the car, then proceeded to drop on the floor and use as a container for his tools.

Not going back if it can be helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back