Another hail storm....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s Colorado.

I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that they will get a snowstorm this winter.

Maybe several.

Even more crazy - I’ll bet it will be cold this winter in Michigan.

Last edited:
I’m thinking it might get hot down here this month … but that’s just me …

One thing for sure … with the Texas law making everyone drive in the right hand lane except for passing … you will do Italian tune ups just to get on a ramp and try to fit in a 3 car gap at 80 mph …

Originally Posted By: Astro14
It’s Colorado.

I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that they will get a snowstorm this winter.

Maybe several.

Even more crazy - I’ll bet it will be cold this winter in Michigan.

I think I will stay in Michigan...
smile.gif

I am sorry that they suffered damage - but they join tens of thousands of Coloradans to whom that happens every year.

One big hailstorm in particular, which happened while I lived there, damaged over 5,000 cars at DIA, along with 70 airplanes. That was one storm.

We had one that dropped over six inches of hail in July in my town, but just to the northeast of us, the town had to put the plows back on their trucks, because the FOOT of hailstones needed to be cleared before the roads could be opened back up.

Hail is nearly as common as snow in the front range. Newcomers fail to understand that. But Colorado has always been that way. The Rockies create very ... interesting weather.

Il’l tell you about a “Thundersnow” some time...

Hail on the front range? Severe thunderstorms and flash flooding? Who would have thought it...

After living there for many years and with a large group of relatives living there, it happens basically every year somewhere on the front range and east... Nature of the weather there. My wife's parents car took a beating from hail around 3 months after they bought it. Their choice to park it outside and not in the garage I guess... BIL has had their roof and siding redone on their house twice in the past 7 years, and a set of windows and screens the last time around. My other friends who live in the area all have similar stories...

Not trying to belittle people who have damage, but when you see the same stories every year and people meet them with surprise, I'm always amused...

Colorado has had some devastating floods. The Arkansas flood of 1921 destroyed downtown Pueblo with loss of life estimated at 1500. In more recent history, the Big Thompson flood also did major damage and loss of life exceeding a hundred. Both floods were caused by heavy downpours in the higher elevations.

Serious question from someone that lives somewhere that doesnt get much hail. Why total a car from hail damage? is every window broken? Cant pull out the dents?

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Serious question from someone that lives somewhere that doesnt get much hail. Why total a car from hail damage? is every window broken? Cant pull out the dents?

Yes...and more.

Consider the cars that were at Denver International Airport when they were hit by heavy hail - every window broken out, all the sheet metal dimpled, severely in spots, and then, they likely got soaked by rain...

Not worth repairing...even without the rain, it's 10s of thousands of dollars in work to repair/replace every panel on a car and then paint it...and most cars just aren't worth it.

Now, in Colorado you will see lots of cars dimpled by dents, small dents, driving around. They've likely been totaled, and the owners received a payout from insurance, so they're no longer insured, but they're still on the road...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back