Another great shot of built-up sludge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Psychologically I guess it's easier to blame the condition of an engine on one's choice for oil than it is to put the blame where it really belongs, on poor maintenance habits.

You do see that a lot on older engines with that exhaust crossover port under the manifold. Many times the thermostatic valve on the downpipe will stick closed and force exhaust through the intake manifold full time. Not many oils, no matter how good, could take full time heat like that. The real fun starts when you chisel the rivets off the heat shield on that manifold and look at the crud underneith.

Classic quotes:

"Seen it several times. Oil with too much paraffin usually Havaline..."

"My first guess woould be Penzoil, a paraffin based oil."

Some real Xperts on there.

Edit: Sorry Tallpaul, didn't see that you had already noted it.

I know there are some people on this forum who just love to see shots of engines with brutal sludge build-ups in them, so here you go....

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=508548

If you read down the posts a bit, the thing I think is typical, and kinda funny is the blanket statement of 'thats why you don't use Pennzoil!'

Yummy. Any old well-used SBC I've ever seen apart looked that that under the intake/ in the valley area.

Joel

Is it possible nearly ALL chevy 305/350 engines look similar? I mean regardless of oil brand..

The valley area on my 87 305 was nasty when I pulled the intake off a couple of years ago, but nothing as bad as the picture. I would call it clean compared to the picture. It had nothing but Quaker State 10w30 @ 3mo/3,000mi OCI's for the 12 years and 150,000 miles before I took the intake off. Not sure what the previous owner used for the first 40,000 miles

My 455 Oldsmobile with around 300k miles was clean as a whistle when I pulled it apart to rebuild, bought it as a running engine but not going to trust a 300k mile engine to go drag racing. Don't know anything about the maintenance history on it. My 87 305 Chevy looked like brand new under the valve covers when I changed the valve seals at 200k miles. I really don't think an engine will sludge up with oil changes done at 3k miles or at least every 6 months.

quote:

Isn't all dino paraffin based?

What does paraffin mean?

paraffin–base crude oil:
A crude oil containing paraffin wax but very few asphaltic materials. This type of oil is suitable for motor lubricating oil and kerosene.
See: naphthene-base crude oil

naphthene-base crude oil:
Crude oil containing asphaltic materials but very little or no paraffin wax. This type of oil is suitable for making gasoline, lubricating oil and asphalt. It is also called asphalt-base crude.
See: paraffin–base crude oil

paraffinic hydrocarbon:
The group of hydrocarbons consisting of linear molecules with the formula CnH2n+2. Methane, CH4, is the simplest member. Higher members, starting at about C18, are wax-like and are called paraffin.
http://www.glossary.oilfield.slb.com/default.cfm

So, paraffin based crude oil is the right oil for engine oil. Paraffin means that the oil molecules are the best shape for engine oil. It does not mean WAX. Most wax is removed by a solvent de-waxing process and/or hydroconverted to high quality base oil. Some of the best base oil is converted from wax.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back