Another "great" dealer experience...Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the girlfriend's '07 Murano in today because it's turning over slowly and getting worse by the day. I also mentioned the pinging and coolant leak, same as I did last time and I expected the same results but I figured I would waste my breath anyway. They also said they would do a recall on the air intake hose between the filter and TB. Almost forgot, I told them that the powersteering pump was noisy at startup, like it had air in it after sitting for a few minutes.

So I got the call that the car has no codes and the pinging is a fuel issue. Pretty standard response now. Same with the coolant, they pressurized the system and it had no leaks. Standard answer. Popped the hood when we got it back and I could see the entire air filter gasket and part of the paper showing from the air box. I hate to think what it would've done to the engine if I had not checked it and we did one of our off-road mountain trips.

So after reinstalling the air filter correctly I decided to look for the slow coolant leak. I figured since their test showed no pressure loss, the only logical thing to look at would be from the cap to the overflow tank. Sure enough, there was a buildup of thick and crusty coolant where the overflow hose clamps to the radiator. It was obvious it had a slow leak for quite some time. A small ziptie cured the problem. It amazes me that they would do a pressure check without a visual. This was obvious, took me 10 seconds to find it.

Next, I was told that the powersteering pump was working. That's great, I thought my little girlfriend was steering the 3,800lb Murano without any assist this whole time....

The battery cost $68. She approved it before I could say anything. There's no way I would've let them get away with that. Of course they made it sound to her that they were doing her a favor by covering part of this cheap battery. I would rather have spent a few extra bucks for good battery if we were paying anyway.

So this visit was on par with the last, a bunch of incompetent idiots. Last time I made them scan it to prove to them that it was pinging and pointed out the knock retard on the scanner so it would be noted in the paper work. This time I didn't even bother. I'm getting used to having to finish their work too.

I plan on calling them tomorrow to complain but with my temper I knew better than to say anything today.

So to not sound completely negative, they washed it and got it almost clean without too many scratches.

My dealership experiences are similar.

After building an AC Cobra replica from scratch and restoring an old bronco, rebuilding a few small blocks, and doing general maintenance on vehicles for about 20 years, it's hard to have a service advisor that's never spun a wrench pat you on the head like a child and tell you nothing's wrong with your car when there are obvious problems. And I know I haven't wrenched nearly as much as you.

When you add that to the hours of research you can do on the internet/bulletin boards, it's easy to become far more qualified on the specific problem than some service advisor is.

Man,I DETEST car dealerships!!!!!!!!! The last few times I called the Nissan stealership here to ask a few questions,they all acted like I was bothering them or something. Isn`t that their job?????........to help car owners with their,um,cars???? Yeah Buick,I totally hear ya,I have a very bad temper as well,and I find myself having to really be careful what I do/say in certain situations so I don`t get arrested on assault charges when dealing with these complete bumbling idiots!

Do this.......call Nissan North America and file a case against them. They`ll be all over them and really make them have a bad day. It`ll really inconvenience the stealership and cause some bad blood between them and the Nissan corp,which is what they deserve. I used to work at a stealership a long time ago and they`ll get investigated under miscroscopic scrutiny if they get a consumer complaint filed against them.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
My dealership experiences are similar.

After building an AC Cobra replica from scratch and restoring an old bronco, rebuilding a few small blocks, and doing general maintenance on vehicles for about 20 years, it's hard to have a service advisor that's never spun a wrench pat you on the head like a child and tell you nothing's wrong with your car when there are obvious problems. And I know I haven't wrenched nearly as much as you.

When you add that to the hours of research you can do on the internet/bulletin boards, it's easy to become far more qualified on the specific problem than some service advisor is.

I don't want to go off topic but just wanted to say I've always wanted a Cobra, replica or not. I bet that was an awesome experience.

Last year I had the Ford dealer tell me they wanted $1000 or some figure like that to put a new cat on my Vic. I had to explain to them the Emissions Warranty. The service writer didnt know about it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Man,I DETEST car dealerships!!!!!!!!! The last few times I called the Nissan stealership here to ask a few questions,they all acted like I was bothering them or something. Isn`t that their job?????........to help car owners with their,um,cars???? Yeah Buick,I totally hear ya,I have a very bad temper as well,and I find myself having to really be careful what I do/say in certain situations so I don`t get arrested on assault charges when dealing with these complete bumbling idiots!

Do this.......call Nissan North America and file a case against them. They`ll be all over them and really make them have a bad day. It`ll really inconvenience the stealership and cause some bad blood between them and the Nissan corp,which is what they deserve. I used to work at a stealership a long time ago and they`ll get investigated under miscroscopic scrutiny if they get a consumer complaint filed against them.

That's good info. The car has another 30K or so of powertrain warranty but I'm worried about the detonation over time. However, it mostly does it when I drive it at low rpm. The girlfriend drives it so hard and with high rpms it really doesn't ping with her driving. I guess there is a plus to her chaotic driving style lol.

I hear you with the temper, with age I've learned when to walk away and when it will no longer be a productive conversation.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Last year I had the Ford dealer tell me they wanted $1000 or some figure like that to put a new cat on my Vic. I had to explain to them the Emissions Warranty. The service writer didnt know about it.

Wow. Do you think they really didn't know??

I forgot to mention they offered to "service the CVT" for only $250. I asked if this was a flush and they said it was just a drain and fill. I asked if it was a single drain and fill or multiple and it was a single. I passed.

Then they offered to throw in a complete service, oil change, air and cabin filters, CVT drain and fill for only $580. I laughed and didn't bother answering.

I asked what the severe service schedule was on the CVT fluid and was told 30,000. Haven't had a chance to look that up yet.

I don't mean to sound negative but this is getting old. I look at the warranty as a means to cover very large expensive items like engine or transmission replacement but the little items and troubleshooting still need to be done by the owner.

I think stealerships play dumb so they don`t have to pay up,hoping they`re dealing with someone who`s uneducated on warranties and consumer law. They`re one of the most crooked businesses imo.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee

Wow. Do you think they really didn't know??

He seemed dumb enough. Then he went and asked a few people who also didnt know. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to have to get proof when he asked the first tech that came in the door who was like "what year and how many miles?"

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I think stealerships play dumb so they don`t have to pay up,hoping they`re dealing with someone who`s uneducated on warranties and consumer law. They`re one of the most crooked businesses imo.

Exactly, warranty work pays very little, and usually the times to perform the work are very stringent, so if their techs take longer, they will not get compensated, so instead they make it sound like it's normal and of course will try to sell maintenance services instead, claiming that they might help.

$250 for a drain and fill?
crackmeup2.gif
Unfortunately a lot of people fall for this.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I also mentioned the pinging and coolant leak, same as I did last time and I expected the same results

So you knew about their level of incompetence and still returned?
33.gif

Why are we suprised by new car dealers service departments? Anyone visited the home of someone who owned a new car dealership? Hint, they usually aren't living in a double-wide.

Also, why do we typically expect there to be a lot of difference between a used car dealer & a new car dealership? A new car dealership just doesn't have to do a bunch of morally & ethically challenged items to a new car to be able to sell it.

With car sales so depressed, the most profitable dept in a car dealership is the service dept. It's been that way for some years now.

The #1 "salesman" in a car dealership now sells service, not cars. $250 for a trans drain & fill? The "adviser" probably gets $50-75 in commission for that sale. Sell enough of those in a week and there is probably a nice cash spiff on Friday, or a spin & win.

Since service sales are such a profit center, I think you should negotiate as aggressively for service as you would new car sales. People think nothing of demanding to buy the car at invoice plus dealer holdback. Why not do the same with trans service and brake jobs? Do some local market research and come back with a counteroffer. Start the negotiation process with the service adviser the same as you would the car salesman.

The dealership replaced the steering rack in my 2006 Monte Carlo two years ago because they thought that was causing a clunking (we all know now full well its the intermediate shaft), and gave it back to me with the alignment all out of whack. I went back not one, not two, not three, but FOUR times, and they never could set the alignment and toe properly.

The service writers and mechanics there are truly idiots.

Service departments have always kept dealerships floating, always.

Service writers are the used car saleman of the backend. They get spiffs on service work, not warranty work. Service writers have sales goals/quotas just like car salesmen. Service writers got to eat to, sadly the customers sometimes get bitten by that. That being said, service writers and used car salesmen aren't nearly as evil as the finance people.

Remember as well, when you are getting service work done on your vehicle at a dealership, there will likely be a hourly paid "lube guy" doing the service, not a commissioned $25/hr Mr Goodwrench/Ford Master Tech.

One of my first jobs from 17 to 22 years old was at a transmission shop, a little mom and pop shop. The owner was one of the most honest guys I've known. When people would come in for a problem, diagnostics were free. This included dropping the pan for inspection and replacing the gasket and new fluid, all free. We had tons of business and I assumed all automotive shops operated like this. However, I was in for a big surprise. I was very lucky to start at a place like that. I got out of the mechanic business shortly after. I went to a well known national franchise and ended up quitting after a few months. To say they were unethical is an understatement. I noticed they preyed on the elderly most of all.

cracks us up when when we see the awards for best service on the walls . Everyone seems to have the same one .
smirk2.gif

I've been in shouting matches with managers of dealer service centers . One dealer still remembers an occurrence that happened many years ago . Makes you wonder if they keep records for troublesome clients , P.I.T.A. list
01.gif
. Just a few years ago while getting snow tires put on at a different dealership I over heard the service manager say " he's a pain in the ( I ) " to the tech working on the car . We had been doing business there for a long time and your money don't mean squat . Figure some other sucker come along . The reason we're a pain in the rear
spankme2.gif
is due to all the bad experiences in the past . That list could go on forever . Many workers could give a cr*p about your belongings , all about their pay check .
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
With car sales so depressed, the most profitable dept in a car dealership is the service dept. It's been that way for some years now.

The #1 "salesman" in a car dealership now sells service, not cars. $250 for a trans drain & fill? The "adviser" probably gets $50-75 in commission for that sale. Sell enough of those in a week and there is probably a nice cash spiff on Friday, or a spin & win.

Since service sales are such a profit center, I think you should negotiate as aggressively for service as you would new car sales. People think nothing of demanding to buy the car at invoice plus dealer holdback. Why not do the same with trans service and brake jobs? Do some local market research and come back with a counteroffer. Start the negotiation process with the service adviser the same as you would the car salesman.

There is a much simpler solution, find a private shop that will do a good job for a fair price and stick with it, no reason to support Dealerships when you know you are being screwed every time you visit.

You will be doing your community a favor and truly support small business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back