Another GM diesel disaster.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
People aren't maintaining their vehicles or the failures are an unlucky few.

Sort of reminds me of what's being found in "deadly tick" Hyundai engines...

"...Brown says she attempted to file a warranty claim but her claim was denied when the dealer found "oil sludge, which was caused by her failure to timely change the oil in her vehicle," which Hyundai cites in their motion to dismiss."

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...ra-engine-defect-class-action-dismissed/

GM has had its issues like all other companies but this lawsuit is absurd.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I would stay far away from any late model diesel outside of the warranty period. Parts prices alone are insane. Fuel injectors $400-$500 x8, injection pumps $800-$1200, turbo chargers $1000-$1500.

Agreed. My fiancee's mother has a 2004 Ford F250 with the 6.0 that recently blew a head gasket at 75,000 miles. $10,000 later it's running again and the truck is probably not worth much more than that. This is on a truck that barely ever hauled anything. Her husband took this truck to Canada on a hunting trip not hauling anything and it blew the gasket on the way home and did a lot of damage.

Parts are crazy expensive and even labor seems to be higher a lot of the times. I would not own a modern diesel at all.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Why did it blow gasket with such low miles ?

These trucks are known to have weak attachments for the heads. Many folks took their brand new Ford 6.0 diesels and "Bulletproofed" them right off the showroom floor for many thousands of dollars. Absurd. I may be thinking the 6.4....correct me if i'm wrong.

Wonder if this is the same Seattle law firm that's also trying to bring down Ford Motor Company over Environmental Protection Agency testing parameters for the F-150?

Originally Posted by wemay
GM has had its issues like all other companies but this lawsuit is absurd.

Absolutely. I'd suggest that the Durmax is one of the least problematic things GM has going and has had going for the past number of years.

Originally Posted by wtd
I would stay far away from any late model diesel outside of the warranty period. Parts prices alone are insane. Fuel injectors $400-$500 x8, injection pumps $800-$1200, turbo chargers $1000-$1500.

Agreed. My fiancee's mother has a 2004 Ford F250 with the 6.0 that recently blew a head gasket at 75,000 miles. $10,000 later it's running again and the truck is probably not worth much more than that. This is on a truck that barely ever hauled anything. Her husband took this truck to Canada on a hunting trip not hauling anything and it blew the gasket on the way home and did a lot of damage.

Parts are crazy expensive and even labor seems to be higher a lot of the times. I would not own a modern diesel at all.

The Oil Cooler stops up & they have a cascade failure from low coolant flow. The 6.0L base architecture is sound & a stock engine doesn't need head studs.

I bet that engine had it's original coolant?

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by wtd

The Oil Cooler stops up & they have a cascade failure from low coolant flow. The 6.0L base architecture is sound & a stock engine doesn't need head studs.

It's the EGR cooler that causes the headgasket to blow. Not the oil cooler

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Why did it blow gasket with such low miles ?

I'm not sure. I don't know for sure what the shop told her about why it happened. Granted the 6.0 has had some issues and this was the second year it was out but this engine was totally stock that has never been worked hard.

I'm not sure if the coolant had ever been changed. I do know it did have a few small issues when it was newer including a turbo replacement.

Along with whatever they had to do to fix the engine, they also had to have all of the injectors replaced because about 60 miles after getting the truck back, it started running rough and then died and would not restart. They claimed that all of the injectors went bad from the antifreeze that had gotten into the oil. I don't know enough about these engines to know if that would be true or not.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Originally Posted by clinebarger

It's the EGR cooler that causes the headgasket to blow. Not the oil cooler

Most damaged/leaky EGR coolers are a results of a plugged Oil Cooler.
There is no way for coolant to bypass a plugged/partially plugged Oil cooler, Which is located before the EGR cooler. Insufficient coolant flow to the EGR cooler will cause the coolant in the cooler to superheat & boil.....Causing it to rupture.

That's why I said Cascading failure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back