Another GC twist...

Status
Not open for further replies.

f355spider

$50 Site Donor 2024
As we all know, GC Castrol Syntec 0w-30 is actually relabeled (sold in Europe) Castrol SLX. I just found on the Castrol UK site that SLX is being superceded by Castrol Edge http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9004867&contentId=7008887

Spec data here:
http://129.35.64.91/bpglis/lubtds.nsf/technicaldata/F95A4C001D05327280257088002F8901?OpenDocument

I wonder what or if this bodes well for GC Castrol Syntec 0w-30 sold in the USA? And once AutoZone discontinues it, where the #@$%! will we find it?

This is old news, it was fist replaced by Longtec and then the edge. I think it is still sold in other countries though.

You can probably have any automotive store order it for you. It's not in the states because AZ wanted to sell it, it is used by Audi in there service dept and you can also buy it there.

Called two Audi dealer parts depts, both said they neither stock nor heard of Castrol Syntec 0w-30. What year/model Audi specs it?

Quote:

it is used by Audi in there service dept and you can also buy it there.

You sure about that? That's the first time I hear that GC (SLX) can be bought somewhere other than AutoZone in the US. AFAIK, the VW/Audi dealers use the Belgian Castrol 5w-40 though.

f355spider, all I can tell you is that they sell it at my Audi dealership for $6.75/q. Many Audi's list 0w-30 as the factory fill and I'm sure it came in motors in the TT and A6 with twin turbos. You should ask them what is spec'd for the TT and see if that spec is listed on the back of the 5w-40. VW spec 503.01 was created for Audi's high horse turbo motors. This spec is not on the 5w-40.

Quote:

Quote:

it is used by Audi in there service dept and you can also buy it there.

You sure about that? That's the first time I hear that GC (SLX) can be bought somewhere other than AutoZone in the US. AFAIK, the VW/Audi dealers use the Belgian Castrol 5w-40 though.

There's also an on-line store that sells it -- for $8.08 per quart. I guess that'll work if you've really got to have it and can't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back