Another FL400s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still doing ok for me. This is the fourth one I cut open and looks good. I'll continue to cut them open if I have time, but may not get every one. Until I see an issue, I'll continue using them. If I do come across an issue, that's when I'll switch to the new Champ made CARQUEST.

This one was used from 344K to 348K using MC5w-30.

na5rkd.jpg

yeZs79.jpg

IKWWS6.jpg

8A8EVM.jpg

r4Xhrd.jpg

Awesome. You literally couldn't ask for anything better.

I've always been under the impression FU was better than MC.

Maybe I need to re-think that. Especially when MC can be had for about half the cost. I run yearly changes though and I don't know how well it would hold up to that.

Nice. I just cut a recent FL-400s the other day, it didn't look as good as yours but there were no problems.

Motorcrafts have not completely escaped Puro's recent issues but they don't seem to have been affected on nearly the same scale.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Awesome. You literally couldn't ask for anything better.

I've always been under the impression FU was better than MC.

Your impression would be correct, for more reasons than just straight, un-torn pleats.

But yes, this particular MC looks good.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
But it only has 4K miles on the filter. Of course it will look good with such low miles on it.

It's cheap insurance.
smile.gif

i AGREE M/C oil filters for the price you get your $ worth.. Silicone ADBV and bypass at the top and metal end caps and a fine oil filter all around.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Will this fl400s work on a 2005 Ford Focus? fl910s is spec'd for the Focus.

Yes if you have room, the FL400s is longer and may hang down too far to keep it from being exposed to roadway debris and whatnot. In fact I believe the FL910s was created for just this reason on some Fords, quite possibly your Focus.

Not worth it IMO. You'd be adding considerably more significant risk for a tiny "feel good" gain.

Now if your Focus filter is safely squirreled away up in the engine compartment and you have room, go for it!

Out of curiosity, I see that some Jeep owners on the board here are using the smaller (narrow) FL400S instead of the FL300 (same size as the OEM Mopar MO-090) or long FL1A on their Jeep 4.0 engines. What is the reason for using the smaller, narrower filter? I know that in this application space is not the issue.

I have been using the long Motorcraft FL1A for years on my '96 Jeep 4.0 with the occasional Mopar, NAPA or Purolator. Our '08 Commander 4.7 has a Motorcraft FL820S on it now which is functionally identical to the Mopar metric thread MO-899 (and cheaper).

Andrew S.

Originally Posted By: dnastrau
Out of curiosity, I see that some Jeep owners on the board here are using the smaller (narrow) FL400S instead of the FL300 (same size as the OEM Mopar MO-090) or long FL1A on their Jeep 4.0 engines. What is the reason for using the smaller, narrower filter? I know that in this application space is not the issue.

I have been using the long Motorcraft FL1A for years on my '96 Jeep 4.0 with the occasional Mopar, NAPA or Purolator. Our '08 Commander 4.7 has a Motorcraft FL820S on it now which is functionally identical to the Mopar metric thread MO-899 (and cheaper).

Andrew S.
Silicone ADBV on the FL400S-although I'm now using the Ultra XG8A on the XJ 4.0 in my sig, for two 5K OCIs.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Will this fl400s work on a 2005 Ford Focus? fl910s is spec'd for the Focus.

As KCJeep mentions, there is always the length/exposure factor to take into consideration.

Having said that, I run an FL400s on my 2010 Ford Fusion 2.5liter, which specs a FL910s as well.

The filter points straight down from it's mount point at the front of the engine, but there's a plastic shield that covers the whole bottom of the engine, including the filter, so there is no risk. There's a little bit of wiggle room between the filter and the plastic shield, so I'm not the least bit worried.

If your Focus is similar, and the filter doesn't stick out, then I'd say go for it. If it sticks out at all, or if it's exposed to open space, I might think twice.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: dnastrau

Andrew S.
Silicone ADBV on the FL400S-although I'm now using the Ultra XG8A on the XJ 4.0 in my sig, for two 5K OCIs.

Ah - so it is about the silicone ADBV vs. the nitrile valve in the FL1A. Thanks for the insight.

Andrew S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back