Another day at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by spasm3
Wow amazing difference!! I'm amazed that you could get it looking that good!! Would a run of Kreen be of any benefit after a cleaning like this? What filter ideas do you have? High filtration like an ultra to catch all the particles from being open? Or an oversize less fine filtering to hold all the remnants??

Will the customer take better care of it after this?

I will be pulling the oil pan once I finish-up the Timing Belt job in the mourning.....Hopefully there won't be much debris left to load up a filter. We use "jobber" filters so I don't have a say on what gets used.
I do have some used albeit clean (Mobil TDT 5w40) oil out of my Duramax that I'm going to run through it during initial start-up/warm-up/test drive. Dump it out, Then put our Bulk 10w30 in. I did charge out 2 jobber oil filters for this procedure.

It will be noted on the Invoice to change the oil/filter early!

I can't say how the owner will take care of it after I'm done.....I just try to do the absolute best job I can do! & try not to get caught-up with whether or not someone appreciates my hard work.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
spasm3 said:
I can't say how the owner will take care of it after I'm done.....I just try to do the absolute best job I can do! & try not to get caught-up with whether or not someone appreciates my hard work.

I'm impressed with how that looks! Will you or the shop manager show him the before after pics? Might convey the need for better care. Still amazing work you did!

...I just try to do the absolute best job I can do! & try not to get caught-up with whether or not someone appreciates my hard work.

Well, we all do.

Wow not bad at all. I mean, that OCI must have been 40-60K plus. I've gotten engines from Japan caked up just like this with ~70K miles on factory fill. A good wash and parts were still good.... original crosshatching still there and everything. Never got them that clean though!

Wow amazing difference!! I'm amazed that you could get it looking that good!! Would a run of Kreen be of any benefit after a cleaning like this? What filter ideas do you have? High filtration like an ultra to catch all the particles from being open? Or an oversize less fine filtering to hold all the remnants??

Will the customer take better care of it after this?

I will be pulling the oil pan once I finish-up the Timing Belt job in the mourning.....Hopefully there won't be much debris left to load up a filter. We use "jobber" filters so I don't have a say on what gets used.
I do have some used albeit clean (Mobil TDT 5w40) oil out of my Duramax that I'm going to run through it during initial start-up/warm-up/test drive. Dump it out, Then put our Bulk 10w30 in. I did charge out 2 jobber oil filters for this procedure.

It will be noted on the Invoice to change the oil/filter early!

Excellent job! That motor looks brand new. You should cut the oil filters open to see how much sludge was packed in them.

Nice job, props to you. I do wonder what the bottom end and oil pick up look like. If current owner was solely responsible for this mess, better than he deserves imo. But, I understand you're being professional and doing best job you can.

When looking at the pics and reading this thread I'm reminded of the old fram saying, Pay me now, or pay me later. Very obvious which one the owner here chose.

Again, nice work.

Amazing work!
thumbsup2.gif

spasm3 said:

I'm impressed with how that looks! Will you or the shop manager show him the before after pics? Might convey the need for better care. Still amazing work you did!

All of this. Pics will help educate this guy. Hopefully.

And great job! I hope all your good work is appreciated outside of BITOG.

Yeah, that one doesn't look like it was too bad after all. It appears it was mostly soft and gooey. The one I did that is now at approx. 300k, had hard, baked on sludge. I was using parts washer solvent, and hard bristle nylon brushes going after that crap. The pickup screen was also nearly completely covered in baked on sludge. But all the bearings were still good in it.

If the owner can be convinced to perform oil changes once in awhile, it will probably be running for years.

WOW!! That's an amazing clean up job. It looks like a new engine. Nice going.
Hope that customer appreciates what you did.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Can't blame the customers 100%. Toyota was the one that used to have commercials with a dude welding the hood shut. This guy took it literally.

Sure we can.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
That engine literally looks like it's full of.....

Not any longer.

Got the Oil Pan, Pick-up Tube, & Windage Tray cleaned up & installed. Also bottle brushed the four main cylinder head drain back holes......The Kerosene did a pretty good job but there was a little build-up at the very bottom of the holes.
Cleaned the Main Caps & Oil pump up as well but didn't snap any pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm amazed the engine is salvageable seeing that pickup screen. Bearings are ok? Amazing job on this thing.

Last edited:
Original drive belts......Yes they would squeal like a banshee! Replaced them with some Gates brand which I don't care for as they are very elastic compared to Bando or Mitsuboshi that I prefer on "fixed" tension Japanese makes.

[Linked Image]

I'm amazed the engine is salvageable seeing that pickup screen. Bearings are ok? Amazing job on this thing.

*The engine tested out really good before I tore it down, No cold start rattle (Had to cut the drive belts off to hear it)
*Good oil pressure, If you look closely at the sludged pick-up.....You can see just enough open screen!

Originally Posted by nthach
Looks 100% better than before. From the looks of it, aftermarket gasket, what brand?

Fel-Pro......Perma-Dry line I believe. The Valve Cover set doesn't come with new bolt groment/washer assemblies which are required for proper clamping of the valve cover gasket.
With the exception their composite head gaskets & Cork gaskets......I like Fel-Pro for the most part!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back