Another craigslist vehicle scam

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I saw this craiglist add on Columbia, SC craigslist earlier this morning. Only 125 miles from me, price seemed good for this market, but not super cheap which is also a flag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Replied to the add with this e-mail:
Hi, I live in Columbia, and am interested in the horse trailer.

Do you know the empty weight and the gross weight, and if the trailer is aluminum or steel?

Thanks,

Full Name and phone number
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response e-mail from Seller:

Hello, The horse trailer is still availabl. Pulls like a dream.

For more pics and specs text us at 323.546 2542‬.

Have a nice day!

Out of office, please do not reply, just use the text number.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neither of my two basic questions were answered. The trailer does not show the rear where a license plate may be (trailer plate may not be required in South Carolina). Seller says out of town, just text him. Area code from Los Angelos, CA.

OP, in this day and age, it's smart to be cautious.

I would think there would be no harm in calling their phone number.
Maybe the scam would be in how they would want to be paid ?

I don't think there would be much risk in calling the number from a non-personal landline number such as from your workplace. I would be reluctant to call from a personal cellphone number to preclude their ability to bombard you with scam calls or sales pitches. Google Voice can be your friend in these situations.

I would think there would be no harm in calling their phone number.
So they can spam the hell out of you? Think, "Your car's extended warranty is about to expire." CL lets you post 24 pictures and a full description. Why would they want to be bothered sending pictures and details individually to everybody that inquires about it when they could put all that in the ad?

So they can spam the hell out of you? Think, "Your car's extended warranty is about to expire." CL lets you post 24 pictures and a full description. Why would they want to be bothered sending pictures and details individually to everybody that inquires about it when they could put all that in the ad?
Because they are scammers.

Bill Of Sale? Ask to see title.

Neither of my two basic questions were answered. The trailer does not show the rear where a license plate may be (trailer plate may not be required in South Carolina). Seller says out of town, just text him. Area code from Los Angelos, CA.
Yep....sounds fishy alright

In general.... Scammers are VERY GOOD at figuring out if they have a "Mark."

And I have been scammed more times than I care to admit.

I've easily lost thousands due to me being a naive stupid idiot that can't recognize basic signs.
It happens to a lot of people. I tried talking my buddy Bill out of sending $3k to the supermodel he met on the internet. Not sure what made him think that now, suddenly at 45 years old, and the most out of shape and out of money he has ever been, smoking hot girls were interested in him. I feel bad for the guy but myself and the rest of his friends tried endlessly to talk him out of it. On the bright side, he did eventually find an actual tangible woman and they recently got married.

P.S. His new wife is not a supermodel. 😁

Back