Another Amsoil Price Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Amsoil for a dozen years or more now and I am in this same debate with myself over cost. I just dropped using there filter on this current oil change and went to the Fram ultra which is about half the price. There filters are way overpriced even at preferred pricing. I spent $58.37 at preferred pricing on 5 quarts of 5/30 ASL shipped end of last month. At doing 10k intervals either I go down and use XL which would still be 45.00 bucks or so, or go to wally world and spend 25-30 bucks and go the same distance. It is starting to sound better everyday.

I've used Amsoil in the past,but anymore the price of their products keeps me away.

Good luck amsoil,your going to need it!

Originally Posted By: Donald
I only go for Amsoil ATF and gear oil.

Same here. I have boxes of Amsoil ATF and 75W-90. I can get Mobil 1 EP for half the price at Walmart when its on sale.

-ttvr4

You can get Chevron Delo gear oil for $5.99 at Autozone. If you have a commercial/business account or need, the local distributors will sell it even cheaper. I would wager that the Delo would offer similar protection.

I'd rather change my oil more often than to extend the intervals, and pay unreasonable prices. Sometimes (after rebates) it is possible to purchase 5 Qts of Mobil 1 for about $12 -- maybe not in the same league than Amsoil, but still very good oil.

The only Amsoil I've ever used was some SS 0W-20 I got cheaply from a family selling off stuff in preparation for a very long move.
I did one OCI with it and have enough left for two more.
Having said that, if I really wanted to use SSO, while I know that I can buy M1 or PP for much less money, especially after MIRs, the marginal cost of using Amsoil SS would be no more than background noise in the overall costs of running any car that needs motor oil. Consider the cost of fuel alone.
Even if I run SSO only to the 8.5K or so that I get at 15% MM, I'll have used around six hundred bucks in fuel in that time, so even triple bucks for 4.5 qts of motor oil would have little impact on the cost per mile of running the car.
Just putting things into perspective and bearing in mind that Amsoil SS should be good for a great deal more than 8.5K.
A lot of the cost of Amsoil products appears to be driven by their marketing system anyway.
I suspect that those who now swear by SS will continue using it. There have always been cheaper alternatives available at Walmart most of which are pretty darn good.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I only go for Amsoil ATF and gear oil.

Are you using the Amsoil CVT fluid for your Forester, or did you not get to that point yet where you're considering a change? I know they advertise it as Lifetime Fluid, but I'm a little skeptical for my Outback... +1 on the Amsoil gear oil though, I have that running in my diffs and I checked them a few months ago at 80k-ish miles, looked like it was brand new right out of the bottle.

They're going to price themselves out of the market probably. The percentage of devout Amsoil users is a tiny fraction compared to those who buy oil on sale at Walmart.

I used it once but found it didn't serve my needs any better than Pennzoil or Castrol synthetics already do for half the price. And unless availability becomes more widely distributed, I'm going to stay away from it. Don't doubt it's good oil, but not good enough to be worth my money over Shell, BP or even Exxon products which I can find anywhere with ease!

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
What weight oil for your Toyota 4 Runner?

Specified 5w30 in Australia, that's what I plan to use. I may get into a 0w30 in winter. (US spec is 0w20)

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: JLTD
I just bought some Amsoil to try it out in the 4Runner, planning to extend intervals, save oil, good for the planet, etc etc.

But if they keep raising the price and I can get the same results and almost the same length of OCI with a less expensive alternative, then any advantage to extending intervals goes away.
How is running Amsoil good for the planet?

Extended OCI saves oil vs 5,000 mi changes

Thanks tenderloin. I thought it was obvious that (for example) an extended OCI of 15000 miles used less resources than an OCI of 5000 miles. Perhaps it wasn't.

Last edited:
Amsoil's cost is not that bad, if one avoids the Signature product line. I have never found the Signature stuff to be that good of a value. Very few people are comfortable taking their OCI's to 25,000 miles, and even the fine print of the signature product line recommends avoiding that under severe conditions. And we know that it doesn't take much for one to fall in to severe category by the OEM. The benefits for the cost just aren't there. The XL line is the most I would consider. The OE stuff is not a terrible oil by any standard either. And with free shipping on all orders for the PC buyers, the products start to be competitive. To be fair, one has to factor in their cost to go get the oil at their local store. For some of us, to go to town and buy oil is not just running down the block. I would burn up about 3 gallons of fuel for the round trip to town to buy some oil. At $2.49 for regular gas now, that would add roughly $7.50 to the price of any oil I would buy at the store.

I primarily use Schaeffer products, but do use some Amsoil stuff. Both of these companies ship my stuff to me free of charge.

What makes Amsoil so much better than say, M1, Castrol synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum, or any other of the big name synthetic oils you can buy at WM, or parts stores? Some say (even Amsoil) that Amsoil was the 1st ever synthetic motor oil. From what I have heard from my uncle Jurgen, whom lives in Germany, (My mother was full blooded German) that the Germans invented synthetic oil, and fuel.
21.gif

http://www.bizol.com/phase-out/motor-oil/synthetic-oil/

http://www.brighthub.com/environment/renewable-energy/articles/100044.aspx

The Germans did make the first synthetic petroleum products; I think Amsoil's claim was first to be sold commercially, or first in the US. Either way, it's marketing pure and simple.

I like the examples of the Amsoil (and after research) the Schaeffer million mile vehicles. They did engine teardowns and the parts were still in spec and could have been reused. After more research, found Mobil1's 500,000 mile study. Amsoil and Schaeffer were real world, the Mobil1 was on a treadmill:

Amsoil:
http://amsoil.millionmilechevy.com/can-i-get-500000-miles-out-of-this-chevy-van/

Schaeffer:
http://www.schaefferoil.com/million.html

M1:
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...leage-challenge

And the value of Amsoil, for the delivery driver, is obviously going 25k on each change. That's a LOT of highway windshield time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back