Another AGM battery brand is now made in Germany....Interstate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

f355spider

$50 Site Donor 2024
I was at a local Costco today and noticed at least some of the Interstate AGM batteries had "Made in Germany" on the labels. In particular, the Group48 H6.

Someone recently noted that some of the Walmart AGMs have "Made in Germany" on the label.
I have an AC Delco AGM purchased four years ago, it also has "Made in Germany" on it.

Varta (I assume) is the manufacturer. They seem to be securing a lot of contracts with USA distributors and manufacturers

I have seen Clarios mentioned with derision by several of you. I'm not familiar with the problem. Can you describe please?

The only issue I've ever seen with Johnson Controls or Clarios batteries is leakage at the posts and where I've seen it, I have to wonder if it was caused by the installation (too much sideways torque applied to the battery posts).

Clarios bought out johnson controls. If its quality agm then great. I've no experience with this brands agm's though.

Clarios bought out johnson controls. If its quality agm then great. I've no experience with this brands agm's though.
Varta makes AGM batteries for most of the German car makes. I have two in my BMW M550iX, an H8 and H6.
I assume my AC Delco H8 is also a Varta, as it has a "made in Germany" label.
Seems Varta is private labeling AGM batteries for everyone these days.

Varta makes AGM batteries for most of the German car makes. I have two in my BMW M550iX, an H8 and H6.
I assume my AC Delco H8 is also a Varta, as it has a "made in Germany" label.
Seems Varta is private labeling AGM batteries for everyone these days.
good info

SOOOO many brands BUT only a few battery manufacturers + i always wonder IF the internals vary with brands made in the same place?? i believe keeping any battery fully or very close to a max charge WILL extend its life + service? retired + drive LITTLE, car, pickup, + motorcycles + since i got a C-Tek charger + USE it all batteries are hangin in. my OE battery in a 2013 Victory motorcycle is the oldest, frontiers interstate replaced by others is about 7 YO, it was in the truck when i bought it in 18 + the "punch out" is a 6!!! knock on wood!!!

Last edited:
I was at a local Costco today and noticed at least some of the Interstate AGM batteries had "Made in Germany" on the labels. In particular, the Group48 H6.

Someone recently noted that some of the Walmart AGMs have "Made in Germany" on the label.
I have an AC Delco AGM purchased four years ago, it also has "Made in Germany" on it.

Varta (I assume) is the manufacturer. They seem to be securing a lot of contracts with USA distributors and manufacturers
I'd love to see that battery for my truck at Costco. Germans make good stuff

My local Costco's have been out of AGM's for a while. Supposedly supply issues, again.

The battery business resembles horse trading. So many companies have changed hands that it's almost pointless to try to assume one brand today is the same brand yesterday. Clarios is the new name of Johnson Controls

"
In 2002, the consumer battery activities (excluding button cells) were sold to Rayovac. The automotive battery business was acquired by Johnson Controls. The button cell and home energy storage businesses were acquired by Montana Tech Components.

By 2006, VARTA AG had sold all its operating divisions, and the Quandts had sold their shares. VARTA AG then liquidated its remaining assets, contracts, liabilities and shareholdings, in particular the manufacture and sale of VARTA batteries, while continuing its company businesses.

On 19 October 2017 shares of the VARTA AG started flotation on the stock market (Prime Standard). With an emission price of 17,50 Euro the company had a value of 668,5 Mio. Euro[3][4] On 2 January 2019, American company Energizer Holdings, Inc. took control over VARTA's consumer battery segment.[5][6] On 29 May 2019, VARTA AG signed an agreement to acquire the VARTA Consumer Batteries business for the Europe, Middle East and Africa regions (including the manufacturing and distribution facilities in Germany) from Energizer Holdings, which was completed on 2 January 2020.[7][8]"

FWIW - at may last trip to Costco, I quickly browsed the auto battery section, all Interstate. Didn't look at closely to see COO. What I did notice was pricing for cars I own or service. Group 78 (big, heavy $99). Group 51R (small, lighter) $119. Group 24, (medium) $109. All + $15 for recycle fee. Very odd.

The battery business resembles horse trading. So many companies have changed hands that it's almost pointless to try to assume one brand today is the same brand yesterday. Clarios is the new name of Johnson Controls

"
In 2002, the consumer battery activities (excluding button cells) were sold to Rayovac. The automotive battery business was acquired by Johnson Controls. The button cell and home energy storage businesses were acquired by Montana Tech Components.

By 2006, VARTA AG had sold all its operating divisions, and the Quandts had sold their shares. VARTA AG then liquidated its remaining assets, contracts, liabilities and shareholdings, in particular the manufacture and sale of VARTA batteries, while continuing its company businesses.

On 19 October 2017 shares of the VARTA AG started flotation on the stock market (Prime Standard). With an emission price of 17,50 Euro the company had a value of 668,5 Mio. Euro[3][4] On 2 January 2019, American company Energizer Holdings, Inc. took control over VARTA's consumer battery segment.[5][6] On 29 May 2019, VARTA AG signed an agreement to acquire the VARTA Consumer Batteries business for the Europe, Middle East and Africa regions (including the manufacturing and distribution facilities in Germany) from Energizer Holdings, which was completed on 2 January 2020.[7][8]"
Very true.
But a little detective works narrows down that the Interstate and Walmart AGMs come from the same factory in Germany as they have the exact same "made in germany" sticker. Exact. We also know Clarios is the provider to Walmart, and Clarios currently owns Varta.

Attachments

• interstate german.jpg
    interstate german.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 140
  • C88089E6-6535-4654-B217-A29129046CBA.jpeg
    C88089E6-6535-4654-B217-A29129046CBA.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 141
When I used to sell batteries thru AAA, I know I learned that VARTA made all the DIN battery sizes; the plants in Canby, Oregon and Tennesse (I think Johnson City?) made mostly BCI sizes with a few exceptions like Group 65 batteries because there is an equivalent DIN size. However, I’m pretty sure there is no AGM capacity in the US with Clarios, but could be wrong there.

I struggle with this sometimes. On one hand, I think that exporting your pollution from the manufacturing process and importing finished products is probably the definition of consumer happiness, on the other hand I realize that we could have never built this country under present EPA regulations.

I struggle with this sometimes. On one hand, I think that exporting your pollution from the manufacturing process and importing finished products is probably the definition of consumer happiness, on the other hand I realize that we could have never built this country under present EPA regulations.
I always had issues myself on this, but what helped was understanding the back story on their operations. A good chunk of what I have found on some plants isn’t so much the cost of labor but rather that the age of the plant makes any upgrading or expansion not a good investment. However than can the fault of poor planning too. Don’t get me wrong, there is situations where the C-suite makes it clear they want 500% margins on their product and would move plants to wherever to make sure that’s their game.

The Clarios plant in Canby, OR has from what I have seen constant investment and keeps up with quality well.

Johnson Controls split into three businesses - the namesake is focused on building controls/life safety, HVAC and retail surveillance(by merger with Tyco/ADT, which the ADT part is spun off now), the automotive interiors business is now Adient, and the battery business is of course, Clarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back