Another $2.3B ballsup

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/new-intercity-...005-grvmns.html

My state has ordered $2.3B in "off the shelf" trains, as they argued (probably correctly) that buying off the shelf was cheaper rather than getting them custom built to their specs.

Well they ordered them, now they are trying to work out whether off the shelf actually works...

Quote:
The NSW government will need to modify station platforms and rail lines in the Blue Mountains because the new fleet of intercity trains it is spending $2.3 billion on will be too wide to make trips as far as Lithgow and Katoomba.

Quote:
"The new trains are being custom-built to our specifications. It's always been our intention to carry out some modifications to the rail infrastructure so that we can run these trains and deliver our customers the comfort they deserve," it said in a statement.

"These modifications are a part of the overall project to deliver the new trains."

Which is strange considering that they are "cheaper, off the shelf", but also being "custom built"...

Quote:
When he awarded the $2.3 billion contract in August, Mr Constance said the government had made a 25 per cent saving on the cost of the trains by selecting a consortium which included South Korea's Hyundai Rotem and Australia's UGL.

The contract to build the 512 double-deck train carriages does not include costs such as alterations to the line or a new maintenance facility at Kangy Angy on the Central Coast.

Last year, the NSW Auditor-General warned that the total cost of the project would rise to as much as $3.9 billion.

Ms Doyle said platforms at Blue Mountain stations such as Linden and Warrimoo would also be too short for the new trains, which would be up to 205 metres long.

Prior to the Olympics, they wanted to close the train lines up here, and DID use the Olympics to reduce services considerably.

Guess this will be the new excuse.

Common third world malaise. Two contradictory suppositions can both be correct. We get it all the time in 3rd world countries especially on the issue of the local official religion.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
It just sounds like the all too common government employee incompetence.

+100. I'm sure the Final price will be at least a billion more.

So rather than sitting around whining about it, what are you doing to change it? If it is as incompetent as you claim, then it's an ideal situation for someone to get involved in and enforce some fiscal responsibility.

Or you can continue to be someone who sits around complaining and pointing fingers, but never does anything to change it.

Shannow, whenever I see the "smh" in the link you provide, I always thing "smack my head" for some reason...

Sounds like the trains are indeed off the shelf. But the stations were designed for the prior, smaller vehicles. If the plan had been always to rework the stations, and the cost of that rework + OTS trains was < custom trains + no station rework, then that makes sense. OTOH, this sounds a bit like one group not talking to the other. Someone didn't realize that the plan included station rework, perhaps. Or just didn't like the plan.

Also: I'm guessing at this kind of level, the equipment can be both off the shelf and custom. They don't make 100k+ trains per year. Some automation, but I bet there is plenty of custom work. The smaller the detail (or part) the easier it is to alter it. Like how a civilian vehicle could be changed from 12V circuits to 24V circuits for military use--the harnesses are fine, all the parts that need to be 24V compliant are easily swapped for 24V versions. But if I understand correctly, the problem is length and width of the carriage, which is likely more automated than not (large molds for laying the fiberglass, if I had to guess, or similar--not stuff that one changes on a whim).

That's right dumb. They could have borrowed a proposed train for a test drive or made a mockup from an existing train with fiberglass/wood/whatever to see if it would fit, make the corners, etc.

I bet they prepaid for the vehicles as well.

PAH! You call THAT a ballsup?

British Rail "successfully" developed the tilting, Advanced Passenger Train in-house. It was in service on existing, Victorian era track from 1984 to 1985

Is it true that most common railroad track gauge evolved from the wheel width of a standard Roman Chariot? And that the width of the chariots was based on the width of a horse's arse?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Is it true that most common railroad track gauge evolved from the wheel width of a standard Roman Chariot? And that the width of the chariots was based on the width of a horse's arse?

IIRC Snopes debunked this--I'd give a link, but that site (used to?) be full of popups and annoying stuff.

But the original claim has something about how the Roman chariot wheel width limited something for the Space Shuttle.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
So rather than sitting around whining about it, what are you doing to change it? If it is as incompetent as you claim, then it's an ideal situation for someone to get involved in and enforce some fiscal responsibility.

Or you can continue to be someone who sits around complaining and pointing fingers, but never does anything to change it.
So you're not allowed to complain unless you run for Prime Minister?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back