Anonymous coffee buyers at Tim's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
I think it is sad that there are those that would bash a random act of kindness. A lot of the people standing in line at the local coffee place are not affluent.I would hazard a guess that there are some are working two jobs, some are working well over 40 hours a week just to get by. While this is a symbolic gesture, it does mean something to most of those that are on the receiving end. It also sets an example for others to follow. I've been very fortunate in this economy and I give about 20% of what I make to charity, yet I still find other ways of paying it forward. Sometimes the smallest gestures such as this can lead to much, much more.

Amen to that brother - you would be amazed at how even a little thing can really brighten someone's day and make them feel better about themselves and the world we live in.

Yup, this did happen to me- back during the holidays. Mom and I were going through Dunkin Doughnuts to get some coffee on a saturday morning, the guy at the window said "The person in front of you payed for your coffee, and says merry christmas" I was flabbergasted, I didn't know how to respond for a second. I then pulled out my card and said pay for the person behind me, no matter how much it was.

It really did make my day better, it was a nice feeling, and restored a little bit of my faith in humanity.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

The vile concoction Tim Hortons passes off as "coffee" would CERTAINLY make me grouchy!
smile.gif

I don't like coffee myself, but in Canada Tim Horton's is highly regarded as some of the best coffee around. You can't argue with that fact when you see how busy the Tim Horton's drive throughs are at any point during the day. I have a friend who owns a Tim Horton's in Mississauga and he is doing extremely well (huge brand new house, two Corvettes, lots of play money)

They came to this area maybe ten years ago, taking over all the former Bess Eaton places. They folded a few years ago, probably because their coffee was revolting.

In a blind taste test, I probably couldn't tell the difference between TH and Dunkin Donuts house blends. OK ,but bland. Best bang for the buck in my area is Newman's or VT coffee from gas stations, Cheaper and better. I leave the house every morning with a quart and a half of my home brew du jour

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
stupid why don't they donate the money to a charity....

Right. Because doing something nice for people isn't good enough. Its gotta be specific.
Any particular charity. Lets see here. After you pay the administration of the charity exactly how much is left for the actual charity itself.
Its a Canadian thing. I wouldn't expect you to understand. Us Canadians particularly like our Tim hortons coffee. Its almost religion,and once you consider its religion then basically it is donating to charity.
See,up here in the frozen north we like to do things for our fellow man,and each of us does it a bit different but its still done. Not like you'd understand.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: expat
...Hundreds of free coffees were also purchased at Tim Hortons in Red Deer." ...

21.gif

Yeah, that makes no sense. I'm guessing they meant that the coffee was free to those who eventually received it, but someone had to pay for it (purchase it) first.

It's kind of weird though. By the time you distribute 500 cups of coffee, most if it is probably going to be cold.

Cold. Is this a serious post.
The guy didn't buy 500 cups of coffee to pass out. He gave the cashier 500 bucks,and the store gave everyone who came in after him a cup of coffee.
I almost choked on my coffee reading that one.
Awesome

Originally Posted By: matrass
love too see people pay it forward. it is a great concept.

Exactly.
I'll bet there was 500 people who were now looking for a way to pay that coffee forward in some form of random act of kindness.
I was in line when someone in Saskatoon put 100 bucks up for everyone who came in.
After getting my coffee I felt compelled to do something nice and it just so happened 3 blocks up at the traffic light a lady's car was hung up on the meridian because she hit the brakes and almost slid into the pole. I always have my tows traps in my truck so I had her friend direct traffic and pulled her off,saving her a 60 buck tow truck bill(winter time).
I woulda stopped anyways however it was almost like it was meant o p,ay out like that. And I saw 4 trucks drive right past,not even thinking twice.
I have my tow straps always in he winter. I easily pull 40-50 people out every winter. I feel like if I can help its my duty too,because you never know when you,or someone you love will be that person that is in need of help.
And this way I feel like I've got some karma points built up,in savings.
Right........

Originally Posted By: andyd
In a blind taste test, I probably couldn't tell the difference between TH and Dunkin Donuts house blends. OK ,but bland. Best bang for the buck in my area is Newman's or VT coffee from gas stations, Cheaper and better. I leave the house every morning with a quart and a half of my home brew du jour

Neither could I...mostly because Dunkin coffee is also lousy. The only place I've found that has GOOD coffee is Cumberland Farms, with their dark roast. Everything else is way too weak.

Never cared for Tim Horton's coffee ... not sure why or how but it tastes significantly different than the coffee at Dunkin. Granted, I prefer making it myself and saving $3 a cup!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Never cared for Tim Horton's coffee ... not sure why or how but it tastes significantly different than the coffee at Dunkin. Granted, I prefer making it myself and saving $3 a cup!
$3.00 a cup? Where is the $3.00 a cup coffee?

They folded a few years ago, probably because their coffee was revolting.

I have no problems with their coffee, but the donuts are terrible. It's the same way at Robin's up here, too. It's as if both places got their donuts from 7-11 or a hospital cafeteria. They're absolutely hideous.

Originally Posted By: Garak
They folded a few years ago, probably because their coffee was revolting.

I have no problems with their coffee, but the donuts are terrible. It's the same way at Robin's up here, too. It's as if both places got their donuts from 7-11 or a hospital cafeteria. They're absolutely hideous.
Tim Horton's donuts and muffins are half the size they used to be but almost twice the price, and yes, they taste awful.

Yep, no one bakes the stuff any more. After Horton's started with the shipped-in donuts, Robin's was the choice. Now, theirs are no better. We do have a Country Time here, where they make their own, but they're no longer twenty-four hours. Some grocery stores or real bakeries are the only other options for fresh baked donuts.

What are they thinking? If I was a pre-made donut shipped in, I'll go to the grocery and buy the cellophane wrapped ones on the shelves. They'll be just as stale and cost way, way less.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: Miller88
$3.00 a cup? Where is the $3.00 a cup coffee?

I can't drink hot coffee, I have to go iced.

Starbucks, on the other hand .. They really do charge $8!!

The concept of paying forward, as outlined here, is neat.

As far as coffee goes: a cup of coffee I had this summer on vacation at Dunkin Donuts tasted like it was freshly brewed in 1968 and was burned accordingly as well. Tim Hortons around here is generally decent as far as coffee goes. Anything else, forget it.

Originally Posted By: MBS500
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
That's so stupid. Coffee is a luxury not a necessity.
For a Doctor or Nurse on 12 hour night shift it is necessity. HAve you actually read article?

Silly rabbit, doctors use coke and nurses steal prescription amphetamines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back