Anonymous coffee buyers at Tim's

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/s...ree-coffee.html

"The trend started on Monday when a mystery man walked into a downtown Edmonton Tim Hortons and bought 500 cups of coffee.

The next day, another 500 cups were purchased at the Crowfoot Tim Hortons in Calgary.

The trend spread east on Thursday when a man believed to be a transit employee paid for approximately 500 cups at an Ottawa location. Hundreds of free coffees were also purchased at Tim Hortons in Red Deer."

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
stupid why don't they donate the money to a charity....

Probably feels like he touches more lives this way. Gets people to think, random acts of kindness, etc.

It's called paying it forward. If someone does something nice for you, hopefully, you'll do something nice for another person, and keep paying forward.

Originally Posted By: expat
...Hundreds of free coffees were also purchased at Tim Hortons in Red Deer." ...

21.gif

While I've never bought 500 cups of coffee, I have been in the drive through before and paid for the persons order behind me. Someone did that for me one time and it made me feel so good I decided to "pass it on." That makes me feel good too
smile.gif

Maybe they did it this way because they realize a lot of money donated to charities goes to salaries and business expenses....at least this way they feel the money is spent in a way they intended. Good for them!

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
...Hundreds of free coffees were also purchased at Tim Hortons in Red Deer." ...

21.gif

Yeah, that makes no sense. I'm guessing they meant that the coffee was free to those who eventually received it, but someone had to pay for it (purchase it) first.

It's kind of weird though. By the time you distribute 500 cups of coffee, most if it is probably going to be cold.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
That's so stupid. Coffee is a luxury not a necessity.
For a Doctor or Nurse on 12 hour night shift it is necessity. HAve you actually read article?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

21.gif

Yeah, that makes no sense. I'm guessing they meant that the coffee was free to those who eventually received it, but someone had to pay for it (purchase it) first.

It's kind of weird though. By the time you distribute 500 cups of coffee, most if it is probably going to be cold.

They don't make it all at once. We had a guy buy 20 cups of coffee when I worked at a Dunkin Donuts in high school. Every time the next car came through and ordered a coffee we made it then told them someone bought it for them.
thumbsup2.gif

I think it is sad that there are those that would bash a random act of kindness. A lot of the people standing in line at the local coffee place are not affluent.I would hazard a guess that there are some are working two jobs, some are working well over 40 hours a week just to get by. While this is a symbolic gesture, it does mean something to most of those that are on the receiving end. It also sets an example for others to follow. I've been very fortunate in this economy and I give about 20% of what I make to charity, yet I still find other ways of paying it forward. Sometimes the smallest gestures such as this can lead to much, much more.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
They don't make it all at once. We had a guy buy 20 cups of coffee when I worked at a Dunkin Donuts in high school. Every time the next car came through and ordered a coffee we made it then told them someone bought it for them.
thumbsup2.gif

OK, got it now. That makes sense. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
That's so stupid. Coffee is a luxury not a necessity.

That technically applies to anything outside of shelter, water, air, and food. So if I donate to anything except Habitat for Humanity or a soup kitchen/food bank, I'm providing people with luxuries.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
I think it is sad that there are those that would bash a random act of kindness.

There's a lot of negative miserable people out there, and see everything that way. I couldn't imagine going thru life like that.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
There some grouchy people on here today. Maybe they need a cup of coffee!

The vile concoction Tim Hortons passes off as "coffee" would CERTAINLY make me grouchy!
smile.gif

It was that person's choice, and that person decided to treat a couple hundred people to a free cup of coffee. There's nothing stupid about doing that.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
I think it is sad that there are those that would bash a random act of kindness. A lot of the people standing in line at the local coffee place are not affluent.I would hazard a guess that there are some are working two jobs, some are working well over 40 hours a week just to get by. While this is a symbolic gesture, it does mean something to most of those that are on the receiving end. It also sets an example for others to follow. I've been very fortunate in this economy and I give about 20% of what I make to charity, yet I still find other ways of paying it forward. Sometimes the smallest gestures such as this can lead to much, much more.

Amen to that brother - you would be amazed at how even a little thing can really brighten someone's day and make them feel better about themselves and the world we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back