annoying am radio noise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the way AM works. AM stands for amplitude modulation. FM is frequency modulation. Since there is no way to distinguish between what is noise and what is signal when it comes to AM, any noise picked up by the receiver along with the signal is played out the speaker.

AM is good for picking up the noise of electrical motors, power lines, and even lightning strikes.

FM changes the frequency, not the amplitude of the signal to transmit information. So any noise that is picked up doesn't impact the changing frequency. So FM doesn't suffer from picking up noise like AM does.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Listen to FM.

Sad but true, except for where there is no decent FM coverage because of mountains and hills.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
how can i get rid of that annoying distortion that am stations get when driving under some electrical power lines?

Find out who the power company is and tell them they need to do some maintenance.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
how can i get rid of that annoying distortion that am stations get when driving under some electrical power lines?

Find out who the power company is and tell them they need to do some maintenance.

Does that every actually work?

1)Turn off the radio
2)Buy an mp3 player that can support an FM transmitter, go online and download a bunch of podcast or pre recorded radio show, dump them into your mp3 player and play it to the FM channel that your radio receive
3)satellite radio
4)relocate to somewhere that has better FM coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back