Animals and cancer

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
One of my dogs has a tumor that is growing, can't afford a vet now but will take him if/when that $1200 bailout check hits the bank. He is about 10 years old.

I'm no vet, but that looks like a lipoma to me. I got one, my dog's got one. Mine's stable, my dog's looks like it's growing year to year, but the vet says as long as it's not attached and not bothering him leave it alone. Had a friend who got one cut off about 25 years ago, caught an infection and was in the hospital for almost a year. Moved to Denver, no one in St. Louis could handle it.

As my doctor told me back in the early nineties when I first noticed it. It's a fatty tumor, you're getting old like a dog.

My dog's lipoma is in exactly the same place.

Originally Posted by csandste
One of my dogs has a tumor that is growing, can't afford a vet now but will take him if/when that $1200 bailout check hits the bank. He is about 10 years old.

I'm no vet, but that looks like a lipoma to me. I got one, my dog's got one. Mine's stable, my dog's looks like it's growing year to year, but the vet says as long as it's not attached and not bothering him leave it alone. Had a friend who got one cut off about 25 years ago, caught an infection and was in the hospital for almost a year. Moved to Denver, no one in St. Louis could handle it.

As my doctor told me back in the early nineties when I first noticed it. It's a fatty tumor, you're getting old like a dog.

My dog's lipoma is in exactly the same place.

I agree.
If its soft, and you can move it around a little, it's fat. If its hard/solid and doesn't move, get it looked at. My dog has many of them. Like at least 5. Very common in Labs.

Originally Posted by Donald
What about Glyphosphate?

Vet recommends that for all my dogs and cat. And fish oil for dogs.

What!

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Originally Posted by Donald
What about Glyphosphate?

Vet recommends that for all my dogs and cat. And fish oil for dogs.

What!

I'll go out on a limb and assume there is some confusion here between glucosamine and glyphosate.

When we lived in Kansas out in the country our cat Shaft contracted Feline Leukemia after we had her for about 7 years.

She was a house cat and really sweet. When she killed a mouse, she would bring it to you to show how good a dude she was and that she was on duty. Miss her.

Originally Posted by Chris142
It was my dog that got cancer. He was about 8 yrs old. I also have a cat that is 27 this month. He is doing great for his age. Still jumps,runs like a cat. Born 1993. Go figure.

Wow, and I thought my 18 year old cat was getting up there in age.

It could be from the quality the food. Some say the vaccines. Some say the pesticides / herbicides. Who really knows or will say.

What about Glyphosphate?

There is so much Glyphosate in the foods we eat it is amazing. It is use to finish of crops we we eat . Oats are high in Glyphosate. Lots of meat we eat are high in Glyphosate from the food fed to the cows etc link to Glyphosate is foods

Last edited:
I worked as a EMT-Paramedic in Galveston County and the areas near the refineries were hot spots for cancers. UTMB was doing a study on this but abruptly abandoned the research after having their financial support threatened. This I heard from an Oncologist at the hospital.

I used to have a 1963 print of the Encyclopedia Britannica and there was a map of the San Francisco cancer hot spots and they were all down wind from the oil refineries.

in europe pets are NOT neutered which is better. of course theres our poor food choices for them, as WE decide what they eat mostly. like humans lack of exercise comes into play + looking at todays general health how can you expect our pets to be any better. yes this virus is bad but there are so many obese individuals with undetected diabetes caused by theirselves, sad but true!! having a pet is costly + few pet owners can or are willing to feed them a proper diet. pet foods are barely regulated so its up to the owner to feed them decent food

Up until the virus limited trips to groc, I used the 7lb rolls or turkey, mixed with 3 or 4 bags of various vegs. Throw into big pot, cook till meat is done. Makes about 6 containers which I freeze. It gets added to good qual kibble.

I've had a couple dogs die fairly early from cancer. One in the mouth, one on the foot.

I had a purebred chocolate lab who passed away a week before his 12th birthday. He had lipomas all over the place, none were cancerous, just fatty. He had lar-par (laryngeal paralysis) which is what did him in, which is a slow nervous system paralysis that works its way up the spinal column starting with their back end getting progressively weaker until it affects their ability to breathe.
I believe a lot of the cancers in canines have to do with purebreds. I've read numerous articles about how these different cancers are more common in certain breeds, and then again more common if the dog is purebred as well. One article that stuck in my memory related the problem to what has been seen in humans that are inbred such as the English Royal family in the 1400s-1700s. These genetic problems become more common and pronounced in purebred dogs due to a lack of genetic diversity.

Last edited:
I went through this when my dog died of lymphoma. He was just shy of 14, and the healthiest 13.5 year old dog you would have ever seen. I was still mountain biking with him until 12, and he was still hiking 6-8 miles until he got sick. I did treat him, but unfortunately it didn't work out, and he went over the rainbow bridge after just a few weeks after he was diagnosed.

I spent a lot of time researching and wondering "why". Mostly I wondered about the food. He was on Orijen dry food for his whole life. Ultimately I just figured that it's a function of living so long, it was more likely that he'd get cancer. I also figured if he was that healthy late in life, the food must have been OK.

Dogs just died back in the day. The got sick one week and would slowly die. Nobody knew what they died from.

Cheap dog food probably doesn't help either. I buy quality stuff for our dogs. My aunt's dog made it to 17-1/2. My mom's cat was 19. But my cat only made it until 9 last year, bad kidneys. Back in the day we wouldn't have known why my cat died (I had him put down before he was suffering too much).

A 27-year-old cat? That equates in human terms to, what, 135? I want some of his blood for me! Beautiful fellow -- much like my Chekov D. Siberian, except yours is white and gray instead of white and black.

My late Maine Coon mix, Arizona, made it to 16.5. He'd been super healthy until about 14. Then he got fatty liver disease, and I nursed him through that -- fed him all one summer through a stomach tube (not as horrible as I expected). Then he developed diabetes, and for 2 years I gave him his insulin and Rx food. Finally he developed a tumor behind his eye, and there really wasn't anything to be done but make him happy and comfortable. A tough sonofagun he was: When the lady vet approached him to give him the final shot, he turned his big shaggy head and growled at her. Nerve and gall to the last.

I worked as a EMT-Paramedic in Galveston County and the areas near the refineries were hot spots for cancers. UTMB was doing a study on this but abruptly abandoned the research after having their financial support threatened. This I heard from an Oncologist at the hospital.
I had a 1963 Encyclopedia Britannica that showed cancer maps and most were down stream of oil refineries and Nuke facilities.

Back