Angry at the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK maybe someone can illuminate this for me. Today while trying to watch a game, the announcers said,

"Due to NFL regulations we cannot continue to show you this game."

[censored]? I can understand changing if the game is a blowout, and there's a more exciting or important game for standings that they are switching to, or if there's a news emergency of some kind.

But "NFL regulations"?? When there is a 5 point difference, 4th quarter, and the team that's behind is driving and the game gets switched...

Normally I wouldn't complain, but this happened TWICE today; very frustrating. And I only watched for about an hour.

Any insights?

Last edited:
this happened to me as well the week before but I think since it was a FOX game, they had to switch off from CBS? I'm not sure, either that or there is a limitation on how long the game can be.

Since the game wasn't in my region, it got switched off? its either of those two reasons, I'm not sure.

Were you watching Fox NFL Red Zone? They can only broadcast for so long, then another Network has exclusive rights. Even if it is not in their region.

Same goes for Networks. This usually happens when games run long.

Turn into those other networks, they will cover close games.

There are all sorts of contractural agreements.

Blackouts, for example, in the home market if the home team still has tickets available.

NFL and TV are very close, and weird. Note how you have to get DirecTV for Sunday Ticket.

They even invented the "TV Time out" for when things are going great but they have to get some spots in.

The TV timeout started years ago. I remember sitting at a Redskins' game (I hail from the DC area) and the kids around us asking why the players were just standing around, they were learning right there what happens on the field when they're at home watching a million commercials. It's gotten ridiculous. TD and extra point>five commercials>kickoff>three commercials>two first downs/a series longer than 6 or 8 plays>three commercials>change of possession>commercials>punt and return>commercials, etc, etc. A game with an hour of clock runs from 1pm to 4:30 and beyond with OT when they used to run until 3:30 or 3:45. Meanwhile, we watch. We pay for their stadiums, we exempt their trade and we watch. Its a great game to watch AND a great excuse to throw a BBQ..

airstrikes in Syria,oklahoma beheading,and fifteen people shot ... -- serious thread topics.
" angry at nfl", because a game was cut before it's end.nothing to itch about, so invent something to itch about.there are no "insights" needed here. obviously, it's a scheduling contractual issue.
this is just as funny as the itching threads about somebody cut me off in traffic/somebody is in the passing lane going under the speed limit -- waa waa waa.(come to think of it -- there hasn't been one of these at least a week !)
first world problems.
concours put it in perspective --"it's a great game to watch and a great excuse to throw a bbq.."
at any rate,thanks for our morning laugh, and have a good day.

Originally Posted By: yeti
airstrikes in Syria,oklahoma beheading,and fifteen people shot ... -- serious thread topics.
" angry at nfl", because a game was cut before it's end.nothing to itch about, so invent something to itch about.there are no "insights" needed here. obviously, it's a scheduling contractual issue.
this is just as funny as the itching threads about somebody cut me off in traffic/somebody is in the passing lane going under the speed limit -- waa waa waa.(come to think of it -- there hasn't been one of these at least a week !)
first world problems.
concours put it in perspective --"it's a great game to watch and a great excuse to throw a bbq.."
at any rate,thanks for our morning laugh, and have a good day.

I can see u are not a fan of NFL football, lol.

To the OP, it does suck when the networks cut off the game especially when it's close. It's expensive , but I paid for nfl Sunday ticket so I can watch the games of my choice in its entirety.

Not enough players were beating their wives so they had to stop showing the game.
grin.gif

This might give you an answer.

If the local team is scheduled for the late game of a doubleheader, it has importance over any early game. If 4:25 p.m. arrives, and the early game is ongoing, the primary affiliate (all games) and secondary affiliates (road games) are required to cut off the early game and switch to the start of the local team's game. Additional affiliates, including secondary affiliates for home games, may also request to cut off an early game for a nearby team's late start

You can thank the Sports Broadcasting Act for this, which gives sports leagues antitrust exemptions from many broadcasting related issues

I gotta admit I learned something from this thread - that players just stand around shooting the breeze and doing nothing during commercial breaks. I was wondering about that actually.

barkingspider said:
[quote= I can see u are not a fan of NFL football, lol.

you couldn't be more wrong. I've been a big nfl and ncaa football fan, since I was a kid.it's not about being a football fan. it's about itching about something very petty in life.
let's be honest, here. in the grand scheme of things, this "issue" is very minor and petty in nature.i've seen it happen from time to time.so what.the sun will still appear to come up in the east tomorrow.we have no control over this, so why go on the net and itch about it? worry more about keeping your beer at about 38 F than an nfl scheduling issue. but, we're all different.
at any rate, have a good evening. btw, you've got a great name.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
To the OP, it does suck when the networks cut off the game especially when it's close. It's expensive, but I paid for nfl Sunday ticket so I can watch the games of my choice in its entirety.

Let me get this straight, even when watching football on TV in your own home, you have to buy a ticket?

And they've all already been beat to pieces this week, and some threads were closed because they're political.

... and have a good day.

You too!

Last edited:
Let's put it this way. Network executives (and the sporting executives) are fiddling while Rome burns. The network TV model we've had for a number of years is in serious trouble right now, and it's things like this that annoy consumers who can find alternatives these days, if they look hard enough.

Originally Posted By: Concours14
The TV timeout started years ago. I remember sitting at a Redskins' game (I hail from the DC area) and the kids around us asking why the players were just standing around, they were learning right there what happens on the field when they're at home watching a million commercials. It's gotten ridiculous. TD and extra point>five commercials>kickoff>three commercials>two first downs/a series longer than 6 or 8 plays>three commercials>change of possession>commercials>punt and return>commercials, etc, etc. A game with an hour of clock runs from 1pm to 4:30 and beyond with OT when they used to run until 3:30 or 3:45. Meanwhile, we watch. We pay for their stadiums, we exempt their trade and we watch. Its a great game to watch AND a great excuse to throw a BBQ..

+1
EXACTLY!
It's such a huge waste of time to watch football live anymore. Too many (stupid) ads really breaks the flow. Then there's the animated, flashing video banner before/after EVERY replay + the audio WHOOOSH that awakens the subs. It seems obvious the programming director grew up on nothing but video games. And what's with the stupid robot? on FOX?

Gimme a break.....thank God for the DVR....

Looks like the frustration is with network TV in general, which IMO is a huge waste of time. (I feel the same way about sports as well so my comments probably arent valued by most) Give me an interesting show with little to no commercials and Ill enjoy myself. Cant seem to get that on the TV anymore..

Ill stick to internet, movies and video games.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
The network TV model we've had for a number of years is in serious trouble right now, and it's things like this that annoy consumers who can find alternatives these days, if they look hard enough.

I seriously doubt that a fan will look too hard. Remember the NFL referee strike a couple of years ago? The replacement refs made a few bad calls (the permanent referees do too, but nobody seemed to remember that) and the fans demanded that they come back. It seems that the fans like to complain about the high cost of watching an NFL game, but most of them seem to forget one of the reasons (besides the salaries of the players) why the costs of being a fan are so high.

The following is from Wikipedia: (remember that 90% of all NFL referees have another full time job)

QUOTE: The new eight-year agreement covers the 2012–2019 seasons and stipulates that current officials will retain their defined benefit plans until 2016 or until an official earns 20 years of service. Beginning in 2017, all officials and new hires will switch to 401(k) plans with an average current league contribution of $18,000 up to an average of $23,000 by 2019.[12] In addition, compensation for officials will increase from an average of $149,000 a year in 2011 to $173,000 in 2013, then up to $205,000 in 2019. UNQUOTE

Before you say that I'm a fan of the NFL system, I'll have you know that I have never seen a pro football game in person and I only watch broadcast TV stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back