Anecdotal Reports on High Quality of M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't conclude anything. I removed potentially related factors leading to an engine's demise.

One of those factors was nilla M1 5W-30.

It won't be used in the current Gen III 5.3L engine.

Next...
Lol what is with the “Next” in your posts? You’ve described nothing so far that even hints to a link to a brand of oil in whatever failure you had, then you put “next” as if you’ve answered the question and are ready for the next. What exactly was the specific and verified contributing factor in the use of “nilla” Mobil 1?

Like I said earlier, the lack of even basic knowledge of cause and effect (essentially the scientific method) is lacking here.

I try to be subjective when possible and also try to remember my inherent bias. I am using M1 ESP 5W30 in many of my rigs right now. I think it is a quality oil and a bargain compared to what have been my other choices over the years. That being said. I thought the 3.2L Mercedes V6 I used to own was ticky sounding, if that's an adjective, using the M1 factory fill 0W40 and quiet using Red Line. I had an inherent preference for Valvoline for many years because my father always used it on everything. I have a bias against Castrol because of purposeful deceptive marketing they have made the oil choice of consumers confusing by their marketing of group III as synthetic when it should be distinguished differently and should be classified differently, same as GTL. I would just prefer cleaner labeling practices and more transparency in descriptions. Never gonna happen.......
As much as possible, you try to be "objective." Correct? :)

Lol what is with the “Next” in your posts? You’ve described nothing so far that even hints to a link to a brand of oil in whatever failure you had, then you put “next” as if you’ve answered the question and are ready for the next. What exactly was the specific and verified contributing factor in the use of “nilla” Mobil 1?

Like I said earlier, the lack of even basic knowledge of cause and effect (essentially the scientific method) is lacking here.
Apparently, you cannot read. I'm finished here for the day, and need to accomplish something meaningful. Have at it. You have more free time than this working manager.

Apparently, you cannot read. I'm finished here for the day, and need to accomplish something meaningful. Have at it. You have more free time than this working manager.
There is an Ignore feature for a specific cretin that inhabits this board. The only individual on all of the internet I have ever placed on ignore in 30 years. That is saying something. I love seeing this when that punk comment's: You are ignoring content by this member.

I'm not seeing anything objective here though, I'm seeing someone's engine that should've went to 300k on garbage oil that ate cam at 135k on top tier synthetic, and no failure mode analysis, trying to blame a lubricant when they've given no evidence of what caused the failure, was the can improperly hardened, did debris block an oil passage, did a manufacturing error cause something to fail in the valvetrain and subsequently cause the cam to get eaten, the possibilities are endless but no, lets tell everyone to NEVER use Mobil1 in an LS motor because mine ate cam and I'm arbitrarily blaming the lubricant.

Hasn’t Mibil1 been called out in the past for not making a certain spec? And a hurricane was blamed for it yadda yadda.

Yes that’s how it works on here. Make unsubstantiated claims and when asked about them get belligerent and demean the person asking. It is quite typical and the base reason is that the statements were based on nothing but feelings so there is nothing to back it with.

Then “bow out” with the parting shot that they are too busy to continue.

There is an Ignore feature for a specific cretin that inhabits this board. The only individual on all of the internet I have ever placed on ignore in 30 years. That is saying something. I love seeing this when that punk comment's: You are ignoring content by this member.
Yes let’s make this personal, that provides a deflection away from anything factual.

Have I ever called you or anyone on here a “cretin” or “punk”? Yet somehow that’s okay for you?

One thing I’ve observed in my “30 years” is that lack of anything factual or scientific is often made up with personal attacks and criticism.

I use M1 as stated but have had issues I perceived as insufficiencies in the past with a differing grade/application. I won't blame any oil for any specific failure without a mountain of evidence though. There have been enough hardened parts failures from mainly FCA but other manufacturer's as well in the last couple decades that use many differing oils to blame any one of them specifically.

I'll repeat. After several 3 to 4000-miles OCI's of vanilla M1 5W-30, accompanied by nominal Alaska summer, 60 to 70-degree day commuter highway driving (110-mile RT's between Anchorage and Palmer, Alaska), my L59 V8 was lost. For this engineer and technical systems manager, if I can remove certain important operating factors that MAY have led to an engine's premature demise, I will do so. It's completely understandable why I will not continue to use said product in my GM V8 engines going forward.

I'm sorry if you or others do not like this situation, and that others have had the same problem as noted here -- an engine destroyed with nilla M1 5W-30 in the sump. Blather all you want. It is what it is.

Thankfully, my second L59 V8 is behaving nicely, my GM half-ton truck now has nearly 200,000 hard Alaskan miles on it (roughly 65,000-miles on the new engine). It's a kept or maintained vehicle with little rust (no salt used here). My family enjoys this well-behaved and maintained 4WD pickup truck. I expect another 100,000 miles from her.

My last GM product, a 1993 Olds Bravada with the W-code 4.3L, ran 285,000 hard Alaskan miles before I sold it to a teenager to destroy. Let's see... that SUV was NEVER garaged either. It started every winter morning totaling a cumulative 10-years in the cold (lived on Valvoline Durablend most of its life). That wonderful Bravada also made 7 each 3,500-mile trips up and down the Alaska-Canada Highway (the Al-Can), between the Lower-48 states and Anchorage. Two of those 7 trips were accomplished in the dead of winter, with temps of -20 to -35 degs F... driven through for hundreds of miles along the way (really cold wx between Whitehorse (Yukon Territory) and the Glennallen, Alaska areas).

Let's see your Jeep/RAM products last that long. ;)

Next...
Some people on here just want to argue....because they are smarter than everyone else.

I have noticed than Mobil 1 20-50 motorcycle is a bit noisier on my Harley Ultra Lts. Valvoline is a bit quieter. It's apparent because I'm sitting on the engine going down the highway. Both oils have been tested after 5k miles and they look like new oil. Mobil 1 is great oil...so is Valvoline. I use Valvoline because it is a bit cheaper and Walmart is always out of Mobil 1.

Tell us how we killed our V8 engines. Please do. Tell us how proper maintenance through 3 to 4,000 mile OCI's and constant level checks killed my past GM L59 engine. Tell me how 110-mile commuter RT each day ruined said V8. Please do.
The "people" I'm referring to is a broad spectrum. The "people" could be the design engineers or folks that put your engine together.

That's dudes... as in more than one falling under said scenario.

And, located on an Internet board where only interested folks hang as well.

Funny how that is!

Not!

And please note: I have no favorite, gotta-have oil. I purchase what's usually inexpensive and works to my critical satisfaction.

To date, M1 has been and is noisy in my engines. And, I've lost one V8 with vanilla M1 in it. For me, that's enough validation NOT to use it going forward.

To each his own... or YMMV.
Saying a bunch of dudes had the same issue doesent nessesarily prove your point. Ive been in forums where specific platform had cams with porosity/voids issue and lobes would flatten. So once you get past the I had M1 in mine when the cam went byebye you may find not every single case was a specific oil brand involved. If your cam broke then why don't all the rest of the M1 users cams break? The nature of newer powerplants has them using 0w-xx which IMO reduces safety margins for oil pressure needlessley in hunt for fractional CAFE gain. I put M1 15-50 in all my stuff including supercharged car and motorcycle with zero issue and no clackety clack like 0w-xx. Id think those would surely blow up if M1 was a dog.

Enough. Dont get bent if someone disagrees or challenges a post you make either answer or stop posting.

Nowhere is it said your posts will go unchallenged, thats what a discussion is.

Calling someone names even obliquely is violating the standards everyone here agreed to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back