Android 5.1 update out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
s5's are all the same no?

The hardware in all S5s may be the same or similar, but the operating system on the phone is not. Each carrier will have control over how it sends Over-The-Air updates to its phones.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
s5's are all the same no?

The hardware in all S5s may be the same or similar, but the operating system on the phone is not. Each carrier will have control over how it sends Over-The-Air updates to its phones.

Thanks for the explanation.

As I understand, even the hardware may not be the same. While all S5 phones sold through regular channels on the domestic market may have the same CPU, RAM, etc, they could have varying RF hardware giving them different cellular communication capabilities.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
As I understand, even the hardware may not be the same. While all S5 phones sold through regular channels on the domestic market may have the same CPU, RAM, etc, they could have varying RF hardware giving them different cellular communication capabilities.

Exactly. This is why releases like Cyanogenmod are targeted at specific model numbers within a given device family.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Still running 4.4.4 on my less than one month old Droid Turbo.

Motorola's Droid Maxx, Droid Turbo, and Droid Mini all rolled out in August (or so) of 2013.

Droid Turbo was released late October, 2014.

Motorola's Droid Maxx, Droid Turbo, and Droid Mini all rolled out in August (or so) of 2013.

Sorry, you're right; I was thinking of the Ultra instead.

Sorry, you're right; I was thinking of the Ultra instead.

smile.gif
You made me check...

A week into this build and I already see an updated build for the Nexus 6. I encountered a few blantant bugs with Android apps that clearly tells me 5.1 was released early just to mess with Apple's announcements last week. At least when 5.0 came out, it was released along side the Nexus 6.

The biggest bug is the face-unlock. If you use it and connect/disconnect your USB cable to charge often enough Trusted Face will outright crash and then your camera becomes unavailable. Only fix I found was a restart.

2nd bug was with Google Now. When you swipe to dismiss cards and if it asks you for options (like 'show this again?'), the whole screen goes black, except for the confirmation dialog box.

I assume that 2nd bug is fixable with a google app update, but the face-unlock, seeing how they already released a new build, I wish Google would have just held 5.1 back a few months until Google I/O.

The good news... seems like the memory leak got fixed. I also noticed that they tweaked the animation speed a bit. I used to always go into the developer options to speed up the transition animation scale to .5x.

If you are a Nexus owner and aren't encountering issues then I'd just wait until the next sub-release.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Having seen Lollipop problems on my wife's Nexus, I am not interested, at least not until something like version 5.4 LOL

Umm.... No
5.1 has appeared to put right what the first 5.0 releases had wrong.

Unfortunately, that's not the case with everyone. My wife has a Nexus 7 (2012). 5.02 was bad but 5.1 made it worse. I updated it over the air a few days ago and wiped the cache but didn't tell her. She repeatedly said how bad 5.02 was so I wanted to do a blind test to really see if 5.1 improved things. After the update she used it for about 5 minutes and asked me what was wrong with the Nexus. It had gotten MUCH worse. Apps take minutes to open, it won't connect to the wifi, web browsing is out of the question. I have virtually no apps installed other than factory stuff. Facebook and Chrome have both been known issues with 5.0 so I removed Facebook and disabled Chrome long ago.

The evening I updated it she said the battery was at 80% when she went to sleep and it was completely dead when we got up. It did boot back up after charging but I have no idea what caused the battery to die overnight.

She's basically given up on the tablet at this point. Even if I can get it back to KitKat she's got it in her head that it's junk and perception is everything.

By the way, I originally posted a version of this yesterday morning, saw it on the forum later that day, and then saw the post was gone last night???? I got no notification from any mods that it was removed. Do they usually let you know that kind of thing?

Actually, I am not a good test case for the memory leak issue, since I never encountered such bad issues others have. I never had to restart my device due to memory issues. It was already either my choice to restart or at least with 5.1, that trusted face issue. I don't blame it... I don't trust my face either.
smile.gif

Just imaged the updated 5.1 build on my Nexus 5. Issues I had installing the previous 5.1 factory image are gone and the recent apps bug is gone too. Too early to tell if 'trusted face' works reliably again, but so far so good.

Only advice is to avoid doing the built in app backup/restore. Apps I have been backing up since Android 4.04 REALLY do best with a fresh start. Luckily only 1 of my apps (Garmin Mechanic) doesn't sync online.

Last edited:
I just got notified on my s5 of an update but I think it said 5.0 should I not install that and wait till 5.1??

I just got notified on my s5 of an update but I think it said 5.0 should I not install that and wait till 5.1??

Exact same situation with my friend. He didn't care for the update after seeing it on my phone. We just turned off the notifications for the update and told him to backup his important stuff (export contacts, copy off irreplaceable pics) in case he 'accidentally' updates. Which he did once before. I didn't get the details on how it happens, but it sounds like they make it very hard to say 'no'.

Those who have Verizon Galaxy S5's
A new update has been released which bumps you to 5.1, which fixes a lot of problems caused by the first round of Lollipop.

I don't have Verizon or AT&T here it's a small cellular company for our area so I'm not sure they send out 5.1 I'll check again and see what the update states.

Those who have Verizon Galaxy S5's
A new update has been released which bumps you to 5.1, which fixes a lot of problems caused by the first round of Lollipop.

I don't have Verizon or AT&T here it's a small cellular company for our area so I'm not sure they send out 5.1 I'll check again and see what the update states.

US Cellular? C Spire? No need to be a hipster about it, I've probably heard if it before
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back