And you laughed at Shells gas truck oil. How about Mobil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They say high performance base oil and 10% boost in an additive that protects against wear (wonder which one that is).

I don't get it as I feel car engines potentially work harder than large engine, low geared, low rpm(all comparatively speaking) truck work/towing or am I off base? Judging by the fact that most "work" trucks stay in service well past the life of most passenger cars (like twice as long) is there really such a thing to begin with (oil that will benefit gas trucks more than cars). Why would one not use this in their cars.

M1-TSUV-1qt-front-cleanlabel-222x400.jpg

Last edited:
I don't recall the Mobil1 T&SUV oil being much more expensive than their regular Mobil1.....unlike Shell.....If I wanted to use a SOPUS product in a truck or SUV....I'd use PP and save money....

Yet another reason I find Mobil's current marketing and naming so frustrating. If you look at the limited data that Mobil offers (same as everyone else pretty much), nothing stands out to explain why THIS oil is better for a truck whereas EP, AP or AFE is better in a car.

Can anyone point to a specific feature of this oil that makes it a "truck oil"? I like the performance I've gotten from the M1 products, but their marketing is infuriating.

Oh, and Mobil is far from alone. I've been just now exploring Ravenol's web site. They have, by my count, at least four different 0w-20 oils. Their names are totally cryptic, telling you nothing about the application for which each is intended. With the Ravenol offerings, there are actually substantial differences in hot and cold viscosity, HTHS, TBN, Nowack, etc leading me to conclude that each oil does something different. Good luck figuring out what...

Its marketing.. i remember buying this stuff at Big Lots about 20 sum years ago.. and that was back when more people changed their own oil.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ekpolk
I've been just now exploring Ravenol's web site. They have, by my count, at least four different 0w-20 oils. Their names are totally cryptic, telling you nothing about the application for which each is intended. With the Ravenol offerings, there are actually substantial differences in hot and cold viscosity, HTHS, TBN, Nowack, etc leading me to conclude that each oil does something different. Good luck figuring out what...

With some overlap doesn't each variant for a particular weight just correspond to different specs and approvals?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by stanlee
And you laughed at Shells gas truck oil. How about Mobil?

Ha ha ha, they're both dopey.
What's you're point?!?

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

With some overlap doesn't each variant for a particular weight just correspond to different specs and approvals?

I think that's the general idea, but with their naming (all just three letter codes, undiscernable at a glance...) it's very hard to tease out the meaning. Three of the four are GF-5, for example, while one is not. There are other spec and "qualification" differences. None of it, however, suggests which I should choose for my car if I were about to order. Which makes me reluctant to order. I'm sure that's not the impression they're seeking to project.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Its marketing.. i remember buying this stuff at Big Lots about 20 sum years ago.. and that was back when more people changed their own oil.

(PICTURE OF QUAKER STATE BOTTLE)

I loved those bottles and bought it because of it. (Before I found BITOG)

Last edited:
Strange, isn't it, that nobody markets a "money saving, light duty oil for guys who love kittens, cupcakes and crocheting fine lace. . ."
laugh.gif

Don't give them any ideas !!

Strange, isn't it, that nobody markets a "money saving, light duty oil for guys who love kittens, cupcakes and crocheting fine lace. . ."
laugh.gif

TOO LATE:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Not to insult anyone, but nobody really cares

then don't participate and move along lol. I don't care about the "truck" part but I do want to know where it falls in the line make up wise compared to extended performance, annual performance or even high mileage extended performance for that matter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by doitmyself
laugh.gif

TOO LATE:
[Linked Image]

Lol!!! That's just so . . . wrong! Now that my abs have stopped cramping and I can see through the tears of laughter, I note it's a 5w-30. I just betcha they don't make that in a manly 20w-50!
48.gif

Even if I was not a long time driver of LT's and SUV's I might self identify with the LTSUV community and be offended if there were not special products offered for me …

They're both solutions looking for a problem. Depending on what kind of "hard working" truck you drive, there's plenty of motor oils on the market that are a much better deal than the overpriced Shell truck oil. Of course, it probably won't sell (like the M1 AP) and can get snapped up on clearance...

This is not a new product it is just been reproduced. I beloved Magatec would fail just like start-up did but I was wrong. I say wait and see.

Originally Posted by dave1251
I beloved Magatec would fail just like start-up did but I was wrong.

Wut?!?

Complete sentences please, sir!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back