And with the screech of a tire, I'm screwed. [any traffic attorneys here?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see how a traffic court lawyer can hurt him. It's a small fee to pay for someone that knows his way around that particular court room. The penalty for doing this wrong is too high to be left to chance. I don't like that he didn't see what he did wrong but he's learning and the penalty here seems great for what appears to be a first offence.

08/04/2004 Update: They dropped the misdemeanor charge already and I haven't even gone to plead not guilty. Things are looking up. I think that they're scared that I'll win.

It also seems like they don't want to use the funds to take it to Supreme Court (misdemeanor) and instead take it to Traffic Court (infraction). I could force the misdemeanor trial if I want to roll the dice; they might drop the whole thing due to funding. I probably won't though.

quote:

Originally posted by Logik:
08/04/2004 Update: They dropped the misdemeanor charge already and I haven't even gone to plead not guilty. Things are looking up. I think that they're scared that I'll win.

It also seems like they don't want to use the funds to take it to Supreme Court (misdemeanor) and instead take it to Traffic Court (infraction). I could force the misdemeanor trial if I want to roll the dice; they might drop the whole thing due to funding. I probably won't though.

Good for you.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Dan

Thanks for the support; so far the cost of my attorney has already been worth it!

(since someone will inevitably ask... $500 for everything except if we go to trial, then $500 more if I want him to represent me for the actual trial)

Like I said in an earlier post, they must prove their case if you wish to fight it....Looks like they blinked.

Go get em.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by goodvibes:
You were unlucky to get caught but reckless it was. You're not a professional driver and in a strange car doing donuts with people around. One mistake, it hooks up and you could be 50' away before you stop.

I'm sorry, but that's not how physics works.

kevm14, please explain. I can easily see someone accidentally doing a LOT of damage if they make a mistake doing donuts.

quote:

Originally posted by John D:
Not to mention what could happen if the throttle gets stuck for a few seconds

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Is this more likely to happen doing burnouts in a parking lot than in traffic (where it would be more dangerous)?

Logik, it was good you got a lawyer. I had some WAY more serious problems last year (not driving-related) and the lawyer got them reduced to almost nothing. I learned my lesson and I will be far more likely to just walk away from bad situations in the future.

[ August 05, 2004, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: rpn453 ]

quote:

I could force the misdemeanor trial if I want to roll the dice; they might drop the whole thing due to funding. I probably won't though.

Smart move. Any trial is crap shoot, whether you are guilty or not. Better to take an infraction that risk a misdemeanor conviction. And you stand achance of wiggling out of the infraction. What is the vehicle code number for the infraction they are charging you with now?

Now that it's an infraction, maybe your lawyer can get it dropped to traffic school.

I forget the exact code, it's exhibition of speed now though, which is a 2point infraction. Plea bargain options are looking up.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
kevm14, please explain. I can easily see someone accidentally doing a LOT of damage if they make a mistake doing donuts.

Not to mention what could happen if the throttle gets stuck for a few seconds, or if you hook a small rock in the spinning tire & take someone's head off! The fine & points would be the least of your worries.

Ok,

Everyone who has never done anything stupid when they were young please raise your hands!

This is the perfect example of a situation where there was danger, but nothing really happened. The youngster has obviously learned something here.

I doubt next time he will be as ready to play like this.

I guess in the orwellian society we live in, no one gets a second chance.

Dan

"Is this more likely to happen doing burnouts in a parking lot than in traffic (where it would be more dangerous)?"

It could happen anywhere (although it is very unlikely), but if it did happen in traffic, at least there would be no arguement that he was in the process of doing something stupid when it did happen.

I should also add that I've done more than my fair share of crazy (aka: stupid!) things while I owned my Dakota Sport. I've had 8 of my 12 Demerit points gone at one time. Believe me, that is a good way to keep your gas pedal away from the floor! It's amazing how many police officers can hear a screaching tire from miles away and then come find you!
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by John D:
It's amazing how many police officers can hear a screaching tire from miles away and then come find you!
burnout.gif

Its a gift. Kind of like how we can sense the Krispy Kreme "Hot To Go" sign come on from inside our office
grin.gif

Shorty is lying; they have a transmitter spliced into the wire that turns on the sign. They're all notified the second voltage goes through to light the sign up.

quote:

I forget the exact code, it's exhibition of speed now though, which is a 2point infraction. Plea bargain options are looking up.

Sounds like:
"23109. (c) No person shall engage in any motor vehicle exhibition of
speed on a highway, and no person shall aid or a bet in any motor
vehicle exhibition of speed on any highway."

If you look up definition of "highway" in the vehicle code, it is fuzzy enough that it might include parking lots, but maybe not. Ask your lawyer.

"360. "Highway" is a way or place of whatever nature, publicly
maintained and open to the use of the public for purposes of
vehicular travel. Highway includes street."

Exhibition of speed includes general showing off, so burning rubber counts as exhibition of speed.

Don't quit fighting with your lawyers help, exhibition of speed is still serious, although a lot better than the original charge

quote:

Shorty is lying; they have a transmitter spliced into the wire that turns on the sign. They're all notified the second voltage goes through to light the sign up.

Actually, it traps the voltage until we can CAD out a message county-wide. Then we swoop in. Once we had our fill and are carbed-out, fat and happy, we release the voltage so the "mere mortals" can then enjoy them. Oh, and no sqealing tires in the parking lot
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back