And this is why I have a Dash Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happened in my home town. This is why I have a dash cam in the front/back window of my vehicles. (Not my footage)

Hamilton police have a charged a Michigan man with careless driving following Wednesday morning's five-vehicle crash on the Lincoln Alexander Parkway.

Police say the vehicles were all travelling west in the passing lane between Garth Street and Mohawk Road West when they were hit from behind by a white pick-up truck driven by a Michigan resident.

The investigation determined the 33-year-old driver of the F350 pickup truck was travelling home to Michigan for the holidays when he fell asleep and crashed into the rear of a white SUV travelling ahead. The impact caused a chain reaction with three other cars travelling in the same direction.

A 61-year-old male driver from Welland received the initial impact and sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries and a 44-year-old Hamilton man was taken to hospital with less serious injuries.

The sequence of the collision was captured on the rear dash camera of the fifth car involved.

Source: https://www.thespec.com/news-story/...-man-allegedly-fell-asleep-behind-wheel/

If he was traveling home for the holidays then why was he falling asleep already with a 4 hour drive to go to Michigan if it was only 9:50am. It's strange.
Had he been driving all night from another province outside of Ontario?
21.gif
I'm glad everyone survived, thank god for morning traffic!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
He was probably on his phone and probably thought that saying he fell asleep would get him in less trouble.
I was rear ended recently on my morning commute and the guys excuse was also that he fell asleep, I suspect he was on his smartphone. Who is so sleepy after just waking up? Maybe he did party heavily the night before, but still I did it plenty of time and the sleepiness usually catches up mid day or so. In any case, since it was a slow speed collision and nobody got hurt, he didn't even get a ticket.

Originally Posted by StevieC

If he was traveling home for the holidays then why was he falling asleep already with a 4 hour drive to go to Michigan if it was only 9:50am.

Medication, health issues. My mom used to have problems falling asleep at the wheel any time of day until she found out she was a bit diabetic. They put her on medication to control it and that issue went away.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
He was probably on his phone and probably thought that saying he fell asleep would get him in less trouble.
I was rear ended recently on my morning commute and the guys excuse was also that he fell asleep, I suspect he was on his smartphone. Who is so sleepy after just waking up? Maybe he did party heavily the night before, but still I did it plenty of time and the sleepiness usually catches up mid day or so. In any case, since it was a slow speed collision and nobody got hurt, he didn't even get a ticket.

Uhh, what? Who isnt sleepy after just waking up? Im exhausted when I get out of bed. I need a second sleep after my first. Takes about an hour or more for me to feel awake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kestas
The guy could have had a long road trip. I sometimes travel through Hamilton on my way to Boston.

We see a lot of American plates in Brantford on the 403 as folks come in off the 401 from I-75 in Michigan. It's a terrible drive because there is nothing to look at for hours but apparently it saves time cutting across Canada? Personally I would rather go around the lake the other way. Much nicer drive and that is the way I take when I visit friends in Cincinnati.

Originally Posted by Colt45ws
Medication, health issues. My mom used to have problems falling asleep at the wheel any time of day until she found out she was a bit diabetic. They put her on medication to control it and that issue went away.

Not being a "richard" here but should they be behind the wheel then knowing they aren't fit to drive? I mean having a heart attack or something and not knowing it was going to happen prior is one thing but knowing you are falling asleep or that something isn't right you should pull over somewhere.

I accumulate a lot of miles in the day and there are times I call it a day early because I'm fatigued. I have also pulled over for a nap occasionally when it has been a long week and I'm low on sleep.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Kestas
The guy could have had a long road trip. I sometimes travel through Hamilton on my way to Boston.

We see a lot of American plates in Brantford on the 403 as folks come in off the 401 from I-75 in Michigan. It's a terrible drive because there is nothing to look at for hours but apparently it saves time cutting across Canada? Personally I would rather go around the lake the other way. Much nicer drive and that is the way I take when I visit friends in Cincinnati.

Taking the southern route around Lake Erie would turn my 12 hour trip to Boston into 14 hours. No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back