And the winner is...(drum roll)...TropArtic 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you've all been anxiously awaiting my final decision on which oil to use on my first diy oil change...well, after much debate over syn vs. dino and much consternation and gnashing of teeth...I made the trip to wally world tonight and bought 12 qts of TropArtic Syn Blend 5W-30 at $1.47 each.

Did I do good? I don't know, but I FEEL really good about, and isn't that really what's it's all about in the end, gentlemen?
grin.gif

I just felt the C-P TropArtic was the best value with really good MSDS/PDS/VOA numbers based on all the BITOG research I did...a nice tradeoff of gIII syn/gII dino at a really nice price...oh and avoided all the orange boxes and went with a supertech filter on this first go-around (for my 2.4L Nissan Frontier and my 3.3L Dodge Grand Caravan).

Just curious though - why so much praise for the 10W-30 with not as much love for the 5W-30?

Like I said, I'm taking the plunge and doing my very first oil change on my own...curse you BITOG for what you've done to me...indeed for what I've become!
gr_eek2.gif
And as the great american statesman Ace Ventura once said, "If I'm not back in five minutes...just wait longer!"

Wish me luck!!!
patriot.gif

You go DAWG!

The bad news is that your car is only going to last 200K+ miles
smile.gif

By doing it yourself, you've hopefully eliminated one of the very few actual threats to your car's engine - bozo not doing the oil change correctly!

Not trying to one-up you or anything: But, I use TropArtic 5w30 on my wife's Chrysler T&C and I also purchase the oil at Wallywolrd....When they raised the price on all of the TA stock by a dime, they never took down the old price markers. So, there on one shelf is $1.48 and right below it is the same product for $1.38. When it rings up at the higher price, I mention that it's marked lower on the shelf. They adjust it every time.

Imagine, all that work to save $0.50 per oil change. A little extra wrangling satisfies my frugal side.

You did good. I use MC 5W20 in my Fords but I cannot find Trop Artic here in that weight. All of the Conoco Phillips oils are a tremendous value. As a result of my research here a good friend of mine switched to TA 10W30 for his Maxima. His dealership recommends 10W30 for our climate. The 5W30 is just as good or in my opinion better.

Your choice sounds great. DIY gives you the opportunity to inspect the internal condition of the engine. Install a drain plug with a magnet.

Also, run the oil hot and drain immediately into a clean pan. Let it sit overnight. My last change I found ape loads of varnish sand in the pan, as well as small slices of bearing material.

You can also cut the filter case in half with a hacksaw after puncturing the end and draining it of oil. Look between the pleats on the outside of the element for goodies and filth.

Good luck!

Your first DIY oil change? Welcome to the club, LD.
cheers.gif

At $1.4x/qt at local WM's, that's certainly one of the best motor oil values in the store, maybe *the* best.

Remember, Grasshopper- the wise man spreads newspapers on his garage/carport/driveway floor *before* placing the drain pan.
wink.gif
Don't ask me how I learned that one.
grin.gif

Best of luck, you can do it!

Dude! Really, I didn't know that there were guys that had never changed oil. You known, over about 9 years old anyway....

Good for you.

Does anyone know what this oil would be called in Canadian Walmart's? I've never seen it there. I've seen this Tech2000 synthetic there, but never the stuff you used? Also, all the Walmart here in my hometown has is FRAM and i want a good filter a decent price for my accord. Honda wants $9 or so.

quote:

Originally posted by Cuplable:
Not trying to one-up you or anything: But, I use TropArtic 5w30 on my wife's Chrysler T&C and I also purchase the oil at Wallywolrd....When they raised the price on all of the TA stock by a dime, they never took down the old price markers. So, there on one shelf is $1.48 and right below it is the same product for $1.38. When it rings up at the higher price, I mention that it's marked lower on the shelf. They adjust it every time.

Imagine, all that work to save $0.50 per oil change. A little extra wrangling satisfies my frugal side.

Hey, I looked at WM again today, and it didn't have the $1.38 price on the shelf, only the $1.48. So much for the $.50 savings, but hey, it's still a great buy! I also looked at the Dollar Tree, like I read on some earlier threads, but alas, they no longer carry it here. (sigh...)

quote:

Originally posted by Rodbuckler:
Install a drain plug with a magnet.

They didn't even have a regular drain plug at AZ today, let alone one with magnet...wonder if the dealer may have one of these?

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
Well congrats. Next question, are you running the normal size or oversize filters for your vehicles? I know on the Dodge, a ST 8 (or Motorcraft FL-1) fits quite nicely and gives you about an extra 1/2 qt capacity.

I think the WM 'puter specified the ST8, which is what I got. If that's oversized, then I'm good. If not, I'll have to go back and check...is it generally better to have a larger filter, due to larger filtration surface area?

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
Dude! Really, I didn't know that there were guys that had never changed oil. You known, over about 9 years old anyway....

Good for you.

Thanks...I was always too "busy", didn't feel it was worth the hassle for $20-25. Now, I'm older and wiser, I guess!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rosscopeeko:
Does anyone know what this oil would be called in Canadian Walmart's? I've never seen it there. I've seen this Tech2000 synthetic there, but never the stuff you used? Also, all the Walmart here in my hometown has is FRAM and i want a good filter a decent price for my accord. Honda wants $9 or so.

I don't personally know what it would be called in Canada...as for the filter, I've ready pretty good things about the ST filters, and you can't be the price of just over $2 US!

Well congrats. Next question, are you running the normal size or oversize filters for your vehicles? I know on the Dodge, a ST 8 (or Motorcraft FL-1) fits quite nicely and gives you about an extra 1/2 qt capacity.

quote:

Originally posted by rosscopeeko:

I don't think TropArtic is available in Canada, unless it's under another name. At least I've never seen it.

For a filter, you might try going to Canadian Tire and picking up a Quaker State filter. About $6 and I understand they're made by Purolator, should be a good one. If you can get a SuperTech filter at Walmart, that would be good too, but I haven't seen any at the ones I've been to. I just get blinded by the sudden orange blast of a wall of Frams.

I'm in Ontario, and I have found Kendall GT-1 semi-synthetic blend at my local 'Stinson' gas stations for $3.45 a litre. Its the only place I've seen it so far....just so you know....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back