and now for something completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something light harted. This one's for Tempest and Digital Sniper x14rgx2...
LOL.gif
i might add even I was surprised by this:

http://abc.com.au/news/stories/2009/05/19/2574601.htm

how is that for gubbamint control. ?
28.gif
27.gif

11.gif

Quote:
-Editor's note: The original version of this story was amended to reflect the fact that the unit can be turned off by the driver.
For now!
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Julian
Awww. Comments are closed.
frown.gif

there are some gems in there !

Don't worry, the NSW state Govt will spend half a billion on trials before they work out that they can't afford it (or to scrap their speed cameras).

Remember how effective the semi trailer speed limiters and tachographs were next time you are blown off the road by an overloaded coal truck.

i drove a rental ute once that was limited to 100 km/h... weirdest feeling i ever had.

Tinfoil over the GPS antenna should do it.

We have some overzealous rental companies issuing speeding "fines" themselves here.

"If the device is successful the Government stands to lose more than $80 million in revenue collected from speeding fines,..."

Once the first crash happens as a result of this system, the $80 million in ticket revenue will seem like a drop in the bucket compared to the lawsuit that will be waged against the New South Wales government.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Don't worry, the NSW state Govt will spend half a billion on trials before they work out that they can't afford it (or to scrap their speed cameras).

Remember how effective the semi trailer speed limiters and tachographs were next time you are blown off the road by an overloaded coal truck.

Also the GPS system is set to fail soon, rendering this plan useless.

http://www.techradar.com/news/portable-d...ail-soon-599431

I know, I don't really expect them to let this happen, but makes fun news.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Tinfoil over the GPS antenna should do it.

We have some overzealous rental companies issuing speeding "fines" themselves here.

What about power cord?

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Once the first crash happens as a result of this system, the $80 million in ticket revenue will seem like a drop in the bucket compared to the lawsuit that will be waged against the New South Wales government.

I think they mean speed regulator to the car, not literally stalling the engine on the freeway.

I don't think it can cause a crash any worse than those drive by wire throttle system in today's car.

Originally Posted By: jmac

Also the GPS system is set to fail soon, rendering this plan useless.

http://www.techradar.com/news/portable-d...ail-soon-599431

I know, I don't really expect them to let this happen, but makes fun news.

Yep ..that's the usual setup for a big expenditure. "If we don't bone you @ 10X the rate we would have had to if we'd done our job, it will be dysfunctional by 2017 ...oh..and we care
frown.gif
"

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I don't think it can cause a crash any worse than those drive by wire throttle system in today's car.

I'd hate to try an overtake when the limiter controls how long I spend on the wrong side of the road...with an idiot who doesn't want to be overtaken on the inside.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I'd hate to try an overtake when the limiter controls how long I spend on the wrong side of the road...with an idiot who doesn't want to be overtaken on the inside.

How is that different when you try it on a car that doesn't have enough torque?

Because a car that doesn't have enough torque has not enough torque everywhere, and you wouldn't ever try to overtake with it.

This will be a normally behaving engine, until it suddenly has just enough torque to overcome wind and rolling resistance.

Plus, 95% of drivers will have learned the dynamics of overtaking...adapting to the new way will kill/injure a lot of people.

Just do away with the speed limits - problem solved!

Does speeding claim that many lives in Oz annually? ..or rather has speed been determined to be the fatality contributing factor to that many accidents??

About 7.7 deaths per 100,000 people (bout half the US rate).

Around half are supposed to be speeding, with statistics "9 out of 10 speeding deaths occur on bends", placed on big billboards on the outside of corners (just where you should be concentrating on either the corner of oncoming traffic.

i think australia have pretty safe roads. Deaths are often due to idiots (whether they be pimple faced kids or tired truck drivers) that take out themselves and unfortunate families
frown.gif

while many main roads are outdated (e.g. pacific highway) it is most often driver error or negligence.

no matter how many new safe roads we build people will find a way of dying on them.

i have driven in other countries and feel very safe on australian roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back