and i thought audiophools were funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this green gummy bear smelling oil you guys version of fancy unobtainium speaker cables?
lol.gif

It's amazing what people can be convinced of. I own a High End Audio shop. My best interconnect is $85 and my best speaker wire is $7.50 a ft. If I could find something better that cost more, I'd sell it but this wire krap with multiple paths or compensation circuits at the ends is all snake oil. Don't even get me started on SACD, upsampling or especially line conditioners.

audiophools speak of electron speed and the resistivity of 99.99999% pure copper.

Here we mearly speak of elves ... big difference ... we are not that fussy as long as elve making our oil does not have a schnapes hangover.

haha.... i'm from both worlds personally...

I've been an audio enthusiast for years, even own an "audiophile" grade amplifier. (Rotel)...

continuing into off-topic here big time...

I had to try the home-brew CAT5 wires for myself. (for those of you who don't know what i'm talking about- you take a bunch of strands of networking cable and braid it all together to make a high-capacitance, low-inductance speaker cable that is "supposedly" really good...)

So I bought 500 feet of CAT5 for like $20 and some gold plated bananas from RadioScrap and got busy.. stripping, cutting, braiding. Took me and a friend all day to make a pair of 8 foot cables.

My amplifier refuses them- idunno what I did wrong, or if my particular amp is just very sensative to highly capacitive loads or something- but it goes into protection mode whenever I hook them up.. They work fine on my cheapo denon amp. On that amp- they sound better than 18 guage braided copper, but not by enough to go through all the hastle, lol..

oh well, between hunting for german castrol and braiding network cable to make ultimate speaker wire, I think I qualify, as an audiooilphiool!!!

Buying GC for $5 bucks a quart isn't really along the lines of Audiophile stuff which can be truly insane.I used to be an audiophile but all the hobby really does is detract you from the music in the long run.

I did used to build tube amplifiers.

mdocod,
You wouldn't like the way that sounds anyway. Try some low strand count 14 ga. CL3 rated wire and and stop the braiding. Should be about .50 a foot and pretty good for what a Rotel likes to see.

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
Buying GC for $5 bucks a quart isn't really along the lines of Audiophile stuff which can be truly insane.I used to be an audiophile but all the hobby really does is detract you from the music in the long run.

I did used to build tube amplifiers.

When I was a kid, I thought I was an "audiophile." Then I spent 8.5 years flying jets in the Marines. My hearing is now sufficiently damaged that I get by quite nicely on the cheaper stuff. Freed forever from the need to splurge on the expensive stereo option. Now the green stuff, that's another matter. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back