Ancient FL1a

The 3.8L was plagued with head gasket problems supposedly from '88-95 [https://www.autosafety.org/ford-38l-head-gasket-trouble/]

But I know at least a couple folks who've had failures on 3.8L vehicles that were late 90's perhaps into early 2000's if memory serves. The early ones were a dog of an engine (malaise era, carbureted, emissions choked) but AFAIK didn't suffer from head gasket failures.

Strange that GM 3.8L head gaskets (some say the Ford 3.8L was designed in some part off the GM 3.8) were nearly bulletproof, but they were an iron block / iron head combination.
The head gaskets were changed in 88 by Ford that were asbestos free. Then they started failing. I have an 87 3.8 and it's a dog and is not in the same class as GM's 3800.

To me it feels like it has enough power. Kinds peppy in first gear. The guy I got it from said that his gets 25mpg and his is 3 speed. Mines got the aod
Better brush up on heater core replacement. I would also get a new plastic grommet which attaches the AOD's TV linkage at the throttle body. They wear, pop off and if you are cruising when this happens it can ruin the AOD transmission in short time.. I believe there's a TSB on it which mentions an improved metal grommet and a hair pin clip to hold it in place.

Last edited:
Better brush up on heater core replacement. I would also get a new plastic grommet which attaches the AOD's TV linkage at the throttle body. They wear, pop off and if you are cruising when this happens it can ruin the AOD transmission in short time.. I believe there's a TSB on it which mentions an improved metal grommet and a hair pin clip to hold it in place.
The bushing was actually missing. Some one rigged a nut,washer/ and clip to hold it together. I ordered the metal ones

If the core ain't leaking then im not bothering it. Oh, yeah, the ac still works

If the core ain't leaking then im not bothering it. Oh, yeah, the ac still works
No, I wouldn't either and wouldn't mess with heater hoses as well.. Just educate yourself for the good possibility of it leaking someday which is a good possibility.

No, I wouldn't either and wouldn't mess with heater hoses as well.. Just educate yourself for the good possibility of it leaking someday which is a good possibility.
It's a rather simple car. Of I can do it in a 91 Taurus then I can do this car. Trick is not breaking the brittle plastic.

I do a bit of buy/'restore'/DD till tired of it & nxt jewel catches my eye/sell to buy it. Auctions & net sales have killed my hobby. I got one of these to keep (called 'wagonman' round here. None 4 seven yrs. Trailered one home last fall). There is plenty tq to haul on the reece I installed. Kinda thinking an AOD as it's a DD that cruses the interstate 20 min a day (10 min each end on '2 Ln black top - rural, semi rural). But have the CFI.

"...LTD LX with HP 5.0L..."
the kids stuff it in either the fox wagon (mine's an LTD) sedan, or coup (LX has it). They swap out rear for 8 or 8.8, a tublar K, 5 lugs, frame connectors, etc. I like the idea (ofa sleeper). Probably will never go so far. BUT there's alota aftr mrkt support. Not as much as my 1st gen bronk tho so it's a good deal of research. Not havin fun...yet~

the 3 isa 'C-4' (or 5) I believe, so both same reliability (as AOD). C4 may have more aftr mrkt support tho (hop up). AOD is pre electric so pretty desriable (in my world) not EOD4. Needs tv or kick dwn cable to carb (my trouble w/a cfi/3.8 mod) like C4.

My problem, MPac, is adapting an AOD to the cfi. I no they fit w/o adapter, but how is yours "in communication"? WHAT do I need for the AOD to wrk w/my 2 jet CFI ('85 LTD 3.8L, C4/5)? I cant go to an 4R70W w/o an expensive 'controller' (500$)

Which was more reliable the 3 or the AOD?
Both are decent. I would give the 3spd units a slight edge for dependability. I have had a C4, C5 and still have an AOD. Both 3spd transmissions I had shifted flawlessly to around 200k miles when I got rid of the cars. I had to have my AOD completely rebuilt in 1993 at around 35-40k miles. I still shifts good today. The early AOD's had some design flaws that were corrected before the transmission was eventually phased out and replaced by the AODE.

Last edited:
Both the Fords and GM 3.8Ls were a good engine-- Ford had the head gasket issues for years, and GM had some of their own issues (not as major though). They weren't super high revving or high output by any means, but they made good power where you need it most and were fuel efficient for their size. Stupid simple designs, I wish they were still making them. The supercharged versions (both Ford and Chevy) were a real treat if you've ever driven one.
A friend of mine has Buick ParkAvenue Ultra. Thing is very quick.

A friend of mine has Buick ParkAvenue Ultra. Thing is very quick.
I used to own a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville with the supercharged 3.8L. I dumped about $1500 in mods into it (stainless headers, high ratio rocker arms, high flow cat, smaller S/C pulley, high flow fuel pump, probably a couple other things I'm forgetting), and when I had it dyno tuned it made nearly 380lb-ft torque and 290 hp at the wheels. Small potatoes compared to modern forced induction engines, but made for quite the tire roaster and a heck of a fun FWD sedan back in the day. I was dumb to have ever sold it. If I ever find a gently used grandma owned L67 car (Park Ave Ultra, Regal GS, etc.) I'd be all over it.

IMO the Ford versions had the same potential (thought not sure they ever came with the Eaton M90 supercharger), but didn't have the volume and cheap aftermarket parts that the GM models had.

I used to own a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville with the supercharged 3.8L. I dumped about $1500 in mods into it (stainless headers, high ratio rocker arms, high flow cat, smaller S/C pulley, high flow fuel pump, probably a couple other things I'm forgetting), and when I had it dyno tuned it made nearly 380lb-ft torque and 290 hp at the wheels. Small potatoes compared to modern forced induction engines, but made for quite the tire roaster and a heck of a fun FWD sedan back in the day. I was dumb to have ever sold it. If I ever find a gently used grandma owned L67 car (Park Ave Ultra, Regal GS, etc.) I'd be all over it.

IMO the Ford versions had the same potential (thought not sure they ever came with the Eaton M90 supercharger), but didn't have the volume and cheap aftermarket parts that the GM models had.
Yes, Ford sold the Thunderbird Supercoupe with the 3.8L Supercharged.

Back