Ancient FL1a

So I picked up this old 1983 Ford LTD 3.8L and man said it hadn't run in four years but the oil filter is very old. Motorcraft is in raised letters. Might cut it open. Any suggestions on what oil to use? Was going to use Castrol fs magnetic 10w30. Oil pan is very clean and dry.

Attachments

• 20220614_155829.jpg
    20220614_155829.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 108
  • 20220614_155815.jpg
    20220614_155815.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20220614_155759.jpg
    20220614_155759.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 106
  • 20220614_155804.jpg
    20220614_155804.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 109
I think I saw a service bulletin where Ford had specified 5W-30 for some older models? I know my 1988 Mustang 5.0 specified 5W-30 in the manual.

I'd use 5W-30 in it, myself.

That actually looks like a pretty clean older car. I recall that the 3.8L was not prized for their reliability or power (few engines in the malaise era were), but should be perfectly driveable and looks real easy to work on in that huge engine bay (compared to modern cars.) I'd certainly be interested to see what's in that oil filter.

I think it extended to around 1995 with the Windstar vans etc( newer Aerostar replacement)
The 3.8L was plagued with head gasket problems supposedly from '88-95 [https://www.autosafety.org/ford-38l-head-gasket-trouble/]

But I know at least a couple folks who've had failures on 3.8L vehicles that were late 90's perhaps into early 2000's if memory serves. The early ones were a dog of an engine (malaise era, carbureted, emissions choked) but AFAIK didn't suffer from head gasket failures.

Strange that GM 3.8L head gaskets (some say the Ford 3.8L was designed in some part off the GM 3.8) were nearly bulletproof, but they were an iron block / iron head combination.

That foxbody came with a choice of the Lima 2.3 I-4, the 200 inline 6, the 3.8 V6, and the 302 V8.

Probably only the chevy nova came close to this engine range, save for the concurrent V6 and I6.

The 3.8L was plagued with head gasket problems supposedly from '88-95 [https://www.autosafety.org/ford-38l-head-gasket-trouble/]

But I know at least a couple folks who've had failures on 3.8L vehicles that were late 90's perhaps into early 2000's if memory serves. The early ones were a dog of an engine (malaise era, carbureted, emissions choked) but AFAIK didn't suffer from head gasket failures.

Strange that GM 3.8L head gaskets (some say the Ford 3.8L was designed in some part off the GM 3.8) were nearly bulletproof, but they were an iron block / iron head combination.
I remember by the mid 90s they made around 200 horsepower probably like the GM 3800. Probably not as much torque down low as the chevy

I remember by the mid 90s they made around 200 horsepower probably like the GM 3800. Probably not as much torque down low as the chevy
Both the Fords and GM 3.8Ls were a good engine-- Ford had the head gasket issues for years, and GM had some of their own issues (not as major though). They weren't super high revving or high output by any means, but they made good power where you need it most and were fuel efficient for their size. Stupid simple designs, I wish they were still making them. The supercharged versions (both Ford and Chevy) were a real treat if you've ever driven one.

My mom had the same car, white with red interior.

I remember using FL1A with raised letters back in the 90’s on my Mustang.

To me it feels like it has enough power. Kinds peppy in first gear. The guy I got it from said that his gets 25mpg and his is 3 speed. Mines got the aod

this was the go-to base motor for ford p/u for a decade or so (till '08 when cyote replaced). Some frnt engine/frnt drive; some frnt engine/RWD vehicles. The 90* 6 so gets a better rap than the 60* ones.
The Windstar (posted above) bumped it to 4.2. All them (there were several Essix 3.8 - 1st gen good - yours; a gasket problem in the middle yrs; then that disappeared; last upped to 4.2 - again no problems). More tq than HP (as mentioned above "where U need it" down low - I got a fox waggy - ur model - to tow some). Lotsa stang parts fit (mechanicals).
The kids today throw ina 5.0, 5 lugs (big after mrkt support for other goodies - suapension, K member, dump the 7.5 rear, etc). Like all fox (granada, fairmont, LTD, stang) they're coming into the mrkt for today's age cohort (car memories).
More fairmonts made but lotsa trim fits yours, stang? not so much. 4 eyed pride isa site, FB hasa page. Ur car was a bit of "the last". Ol daze we had 1 model w/notch-back, liftback, fastback, sedan, coup, wagon. We had 5 motors and 3, 4 trannys to pick from. Wages matched products better so more choices in attempt to get ur $. This 1 had some of that (as above: 4, i6, bent6 & bent8 thru it's 'life'). Only the i6 hada different K member due to length.
Transitionary vehicle as carb went to FI @ that time but w/a 2 jet "CFI" (ford's throttle body). If wrks well, must B complete (some kids swipe their hand thru the engine bay rippin out stuff: "I dont want any of this pollution crap" then wonder Y it wont run right). Any serious mechanic (shad tree) can learn it. (Needs all components). If TFI equiped (see dizzy) just move it away frm that heat area and will B long lived. I'm seeking (unsuccessfuly) a "Y" and will need to make my own. They dont offer it even for the 3.8 stang LX. Not sure if I'll eventually hop up like my above description. Sure like to ol skol the 4.2 head on to give it a 20 yr up grade (MPfi) but hard to find more thana bare head (inj, engine harness, want even the OBDII, all of it in one swoop, rather than buy each individually). Gota line on 1 if still there 20 mi away. Gota jerk it myself tho. Still better than a 5.0, 8 inch or 8.8 inch install, etc, etc...

Back