Analysis Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
When switching from one synthetic to another, such as the oil study going on, is it ok to just switch and go a full 12k miles? I've been running M1 0w-40 with AutoRx (third treatment) and have switched to Amsoil 10w-30 and want to go a full 12k miles on that oil. Should I change this sample before this, to flush out the old Mobil 1 or just go through with it and expect a little moly in the results? I was getting nailed in gas mileage with the 0w-40.

[ April 20, 2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Honestly, I don't think going 12k miles on the first interval with a new synthetic is safe. I personally wouldn't go beyond 5-6k, although in my sister's car her very first interval with Mobil 1 was 8k, and it looked fine.

Call me paranoid, but 12k sounds too far for the first interval.

Probably right-but I have already ignored this advice. Based on the fact that Shaeffers Moly Pure Syn seemed to outperform Mobil 1 Trisyn in one of my cars: My Son's Cavalier previously ran 8300 on Mobil 1 10W-30 TriSyn. Today I drained the Shaeffer's Synthetic from the Car after 11,100 miles. I'm real anxious to get the sample back.
smile.gif
I guess my saving grace is that it's not my car. But the other thing is it's a '97 with 82K miles.
grin.gif

Wow, I'm anxious to see these results Al too. So you went from M1 right to Schaeffers with 11k miles? I'll use this as a guide.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Wow, I'm anxious to see these results Al too. So you went from M1 right to Schaeffers with 11k miles? I'll use this as a guide.
smile.gif

Yea..when you see the results you'll know whether or not to do it. The Mobil 1 gave very good results during the summer time. The Shaeffer's was during the Wintertime. Iron for 8300 miles for the Mobil was 15. I'll be very surprised if the Iron is close to that value considering the very very cold winter here in Pa.

Buster, what engine and how significant was the gas mileage hit? How many fillups did you measure in order to see the trend?

Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
smile.gif

I wouldn't use his results as a guide unless he too went from M1 to Amsoil. That's a comparison you need in order to know if the additive package differences caused any minor problems on the first interval.

[ April 21, 2003, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

True, I think I'll just drain at 5k to play it safe. I was loosing a good 4mpg on highway. I've had the oil for 4k miles then I made the switch to AMsoil 10w-30. Amsoil is a bit thick for a 30 but it's still lighter then the 0w-40 @ 14.3cSt. I think the Amsoil is 11.9 cSt @100C. M1 10w-30 would be better even for gas mileage @ 9.8-10 cSt. With 4cyl. Hondas and Toyotas, 40wts. are a bit too thick IMO. Patman has said this before and he is right as I now have found out. I'm a hard head.
banghead.gif

[ April 21, 2003, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster,

Your engine should be pretty clean from the AutoRX treatments. I'd just run the Amsoil for 12,000 miles and then take a sample. Unless you are getting abnormal contamination from a coolant leak , running 12k should be no problem at all.

TooSlick

I had a pressure test done and there is no coolant leak. The engine should be very clean.
I ran 3 treatments.
1 for 500 miles using dino
2nd for 1200 using M1
3rd for 200 using M1

I don't think there will be a problem running a 12k + mile drain. Amsoil told me that Amsoil is compatible with Mobil 1 and I should go for the extended drain. I should have some good numbers down the road. I might even attempt 20k, probably on the second round though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back