An unexpected downside to solar power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that's rather sad. I hope they can figure out some sort of deterrence to keep birds away (similar to what they use at airports).

Over time, nature will adjust. Animals will learn to stay away from these sites eventually.

Strikes again? As if there arent massive consequences ripping coal out of the ground or pumping oil and then burning it? LOL.

Old news. This was reported on a while ago. Must be a slow news day, and time to re-stoke the fires of controversy.

A bird dies from a solar panel.. How is this different from a deer getting killed on the highway?

The only thing green about most "green energy" is the $$$ going into some special interest's pocket.

Originally Posted By: hatt
The only thing green about most "green energy" is the $$$ going into some special interest's pocket.

And there's a LOT of green available. Always sorry to hear about the poor lil animals but there are consequences from just about anything...

Originally Posted By: strat81
When a dead condor shows up, they're going to shut down all solar plants in the area, right?

They banned lead to save the condor (It didn't work)! If a Condor becomes a streamer, look out! California will have no choice but to ban all solar energy!

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Old news. This was reported on a while ago. Must be a slow news day, and time to re-stoke the fires of controversy.

Good observation.
I have seen this issue raised quite a while ago.

However, the fires of controversy need to be stoked from time to time, in order to spark(no pun intended) intelligent discourse on issues which ought to be important for humanity to address.

For my money, Atomic power is the cleanest available to humanity at the moment.
It's a pity the vast majority of humanity doesn't know how to deal with it correctly.

The elephant in the room is the question that nobody seems to be asking.

That question is.
"How much does it actually cost to implement truly well managed and safe electricity generation technology which is has the least impact on the environment with a view/focus on reducing the environmental impact with emerging technology going forward".
IMO, the answer to this question should be the template for all aspects and cost structures regarding electricity generation and supply.
It must be tackled and implemented on a globalised basis with a view to using an economy of scale to get the best value.

Sadly while we as a species has an unhealthy relationship with money, and a reliance on the current economic system. It will prevent progress in the right direction for the right reasons.
We may never get to the solution of a number of the most vexing problems on this planet.

Personally, I will just have to be content with my PV panels on my roof, driving my vehicles economically and extended OCI's for the time being.

Originally Posted By: hatt

I think you may well be right about that.

And I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist.
But I am none the less quite sceptical.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Deer haven't learned to stay off highways yet.
You reckon birds are smarter?

Birds are actually pretty darn smart, FYI.

Originally Posted By: Ducman
Originally Posted By: sciphi

Good observation.
I have seen this issue raised quite a while ago.

However, the fires of controversy need to be stoked from time to time, in order to spark(no pun intended) intelligent discourse on issues which ought to be important for humanity to address.

For my money, Atomic power is the cleanest available to humanity at the moment.
It's a pity the vast majority of humanity doesn't know how to deal with it correctly.

The elephant in the room is the question that nobody seems to be asking.

That question is.
"How much does it actually cost to implement truly well managed and safe electricity generation technology which is has the least impact on the environment with a view/focus on reducing the environmental impact with emerging technology going forward".
IMO, the answer to this question should be the template for all aspects and cost structures regarding electricity generation and supply.
It must be tackled and implemented on a globalised basis with a view to using an economy of scale to get the best value.

Sadly while we as a species has an unhealthy relationship with money, and a reliance on the current economic system. It will prevent progress in the right direction for the right reasons.
We may never get to the solution of a number of the most vexing problems on this planet.

Personally, I will just have to be content with my PV panels on my roof, driving my vehicles economically and extended OCI's for the time being.

Nuclear is clean?

I suppose. As long as we dump the waste in someone else's backyard.

I've always found it funny that we as humans think we can accumulate nuclear waste and just bury it until we have the tech to dispose of it properly.
What a joke.

Yes, actually. When compared with the tens of thousands of tons of fly ash, and millions of tons of CO2 that is produced over a lifetime of one person's electric use, the roughly 1 kilogram of low-level nuclear waste created to produce the same amount of electricity is remarkably clean and far more friendly to the environment.

Sadly, most folks are only aware of hyperbole, fear-mongering and politics and not of the science behind nuclear fission...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Nuclear is clean?

I suppose. As long as we dump the waste in someone else's backyard.

I've always found it funny that we as humans think we can accumulate nuclear waste and just bury it until we have the tech to dispose of it properly.
What a joke.

Yes, actually. When compared with the tens of thousands of tons of fly ash, and millions of tons of CO2 that is produced over a lifetime of one person's electric use, the roughly 1 kilogram of low-level nuclear waste created to produce the same amount of electricity is remarkably clean and far more friendly to the environment.

Sadly, most folks are only aware of hyperbole, fear-mongering and politics and not of the science behind nuclear fission...

amen...

Quote:

Scientists don't build nuclear plants, for profit commercial companies do. That creates an entirely different set of "right" decisions that get made.

Oversight by the revolving door agencies no help.

http://articles.courant.com/1996-07-07/news/9607070049_1_nrc-nuclear-power-plant-cement

Quote:

NU's inability to find the right cement -- and the NRC's apparent agreement that it could use cement that some engineers now believe was a poor and possibly costly choice -- are among a number of problems early in the plant's construction disclosed in yellowing NRC files from the 1970s.

The records also disclose:

* The plant was months behind schedule in 1974 and 1975, when the foundation was being poured.

* NU apparently delayed for more than a year before having an on-site concrete-testing laboratory certified by industry experts, something regulators said was required before construction. By the time NU had the lab certified, most of the foundation had been poured.

* NU at one point issued a stop-work order to its contractor because of quality control lapses in the preparation of concrete for the foundation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: strat81
When a dead condor shows up, they're going to shut down all solar plants in the area, right?

They banned lead to save the condor (It didn't work)! If a Condor becomes a streamer, look out! California will have no choice but to ban all solar energy!

Wasn't it DDT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back