An unexpected downside to solar power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really bothers me when something is supposed to cure the environment, but does damage anyway.

The first example I can think of is when people were getting CFL bulbs, or being forced to install them. So many people behind promoting or mandating CFL bulbs were not doing a single thing to protect people from the mercury inside those bulbs.

And don't even think about protesting about laws, you will only be told that you will make the USA look like China in terms of environmental damage.

The gen V reactors of the future are supposed to be able to take all that stockpiled "waste" as fuel, and use up 95% of it.
So instantly divide all that waste by 20.

The reason it is hazardous is because it's still "hot" and expelling energy

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Nuclear is clean?

I suppose. As long as we dump the waste in someone else's backyard.

I've always found it funny that we as humans think we can accumulate nuclear waste and just bury it until we have the tech to dispose of it properly.
What a joke.

The waste problem comes about largely/partly as there are certain designs that that create more "waste" than others, in part because that waste was supposed to be fuel for things like nuclear weapons...most of your "waste" can be used again, US just has laws against it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Nuclear is clean?

I suppose. As long as we dump the waste in someone else's backyard.

I've always found it funny that we as humans think we can accumulate nuclear waste and just bury it until we have the tech to dispose of it properly.
What a joke.

There is much more to it than burying and hoping. In the US only the US military is allowed to take the waste product and reconstitute same into reusable form. The local atom splitters are NOT allowed to do that and hence are forced by NRC regulations to accumulate much more radioactive waste than they have to or need to.

Anybody who is concerned about disposal of nuclear waste needs to read about Oklo.

Specifically this: "Most of the non-volatile fission products and actinides have only moved centimeters in the veins during the last 2 billion years."

If fission products will only migrate a few inches in the worst possible storage location one could imagine (wet sandstone), I'd have zero hangups about living on top of a properly designed nuclear dump.

Just to be sure we're all on the same page...this article ONLY pertains to these specific designs using multiple-mirror arrays that concentrate radiation onto a small absorber located on top of a tower!

It's NOT talking about standard PV panels often seen on houses, buildings, sailboats, etc.

There are many, many types of SOLAR power, solar arrays. They don't ALL generate electricity. I have two solar collectors back on my roof now, but they heat water NOT generate electricity.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Just to be sure we're all on the same page...this article ONLY pertains to these specific designs using multiple-mirror arrays that concentrate radiation onto a small absorber located on top of a tower!

It's NOT talking about standard PV panels often seen on houses, buildings, sailboats, etc.

There are many, many types of SOLAR power, solar arrays. They don't ALL generate electricity. I have two solar collectors back on my roof now, but they heat water NOT generate electricity.

Excellent point. Simple solar panels don't fry animals.

Originally Posted By: Stregone
Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Deer haven't learned to stay off highways yet.
You reckon birds are smarter?

Birds are actually pretty darn smart, FYI.

Some birds are smart. Seagulls get out of the way of my brothers Cessna. Hawks and Buzzards don't change course.

Its sad that the general public isn't bright enough to understand the benefits of nuclear power, a couple of accidents and its thrown away.

Shame really.

Now we have silly solar panels that don't generate much in the overall scheme of things.

Last edited:
A solar field in this area is experimenting with goats. It takes too many landscapers with weed whackers to keep panels clear of weeds and brush. Mowers can't get under the panels.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Its sad that the general public isn't bright enough to understand the benefits of nuclear power, a couple of accidents and its thrown away.

Shame really.

Now we have silly solar panels that don't generate much in the overall scheme of things.

It is a shame all the way around. The U.S. invest in every type of energy possible including more nuclear power. We should be as diverse as possible.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The U.S. invest in every type of energy possible including more nuclear power. We should be as diverse as possible.

Of course. ALL of them! And any new ones that pop up, too.

Diversity is the key. The focus on solar has already shown that it is a poor power source. But subsidies and incentives throw the market off...

Originally Posted By: dave1251
It is a shame all the way around. The U.S. invest in every type of energy possible including more nuclear power. We should be as diverse as possible.

An ideal solution would be small solar array's on top of houses and nuclear power plants to fill in the difference.

If every house had a 5k array on the roof their would be less need for as many power plants.

I hate that facility for another reason. As an airline pilot, I fly over that darn thing on my trips out to LAX from MSP. You can see the blinding light from 150 miles away some mornings and it can really blind you on most days. There is a reason it's in the desert - a lot of sunny days.

What's worse is after I land in LAX, I return right back to MSP having to go back over that thing again. It wouldn't be so bad if it was in a more remote location, but for commercial flights, it's located on a jet airway and we end up going right over it both directions.

Rant over...

757guy

Judging by the way nuclear plants are build in China because of all the coal pollutions, I'd say nuclear is much cleaner than most cheap alternative.

Fast reactor with passive cooling is the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back