An insult to males across the country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how having the filler on the passenger side is safer. What are you in danger of if it's on the driver's side? No matter what you're gonna be standing in essentially a parking lot, with your car on one side of you and the gas pump on the other side. What am I missing?

I thought this was going to be about something much different than filling up on the opposite side of the fuel pump.....Sheesh!

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: racer12306
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
May be it was a rental or service car. .

Every vehicle built in the last several years has a little arrow on the gas gauge to show filler side.

no they don't....

pb050343.980x0.jpg

Is that car sold in the USA?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
that your car? Lots of lights on.... MIL, oil change, brake pads ... Lol

You've never put a key in any ignition of any car in the history of warning lights?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: racer12306
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
May be it was a rental or service car. .

Every vehicle built in the last several years has a little arrow on the gas gauge to show filler side.

no they don't....

pb050343.980x0.jpg

Is that car sold in the USA?

pb050343.980x0.jpg

You've never put a key in any ignition of any car in the history of warning lights?

You are right... 0 rpm

All three vehicles have the filler where it belongs, on the driver's side.
If I had one on the passenger side, I'd want another one on the driver's side. One on each side. Then I could go up the pump from either side.... since they don't put them behind the license plate anymore. Might as well add one up front to.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I don't understand how having the filler on the passenger side is safer. What are you in danger of if it's on the driver's side? No matter what you're gonna be standing in essentially a parking lot, with your car on one side of you and the gas pump on the other side. What am I missing?

It likely has to do with filler neck rupture in a crash. You want to fuel to spill as far away from the driver as possible.

I knew a guy that had a Jaguar with fuel fillers on both sides, I didn't find out until later that it was because there were two fuel tanks. I just thought you could fill it from either side which I thought was cool.

Yep, the detail oriented people here were slacking as they couldn't tell that the instrument cluster was in the bulb-test mode immediate after key on.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
At least he is pumping his own gas. I see so many men in Florida that pull into the pumps and their wives or girlfriends pump the gas and they sit there and play on their phones. Its been at least 10 years since my wife pumped her own gas.

while i do fill our cars 99% of the time...
im not sure i would brag that my wife hasnt touched a gas pump in 10 years?
what if she goes on a road trip with her girlfriends?

are you also saying your wife hasnt been more than a tankful of fuel away from your person in 10 years...?
geez talk about controlling...

does your wife also brag to her friends that you haven't cooked a meal for the family in 10 years?
and that they should be ashamed if their husband touched anything in the kitchen...

Yes. She should tell her friends and does, I do not cook. She also has not put the roll of toilet paper on the spindle for over 15 years, I have waited her out several times too, its not happening.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I have never owned any vehicles with the gas tank opening on the passenger side of the car

And of the 11 vehicles I have owned 4 have had center fill (3 motorcycles and a '71 Rustang), the other 7 vehicles have had right-side fill. I've never paid attention to filler location when buying a vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: exranger06

It likely has to do with filler neck rupture in a crash. You want to fuel to spill as far away from the driver as possible.

Yeah, too bad for the passenger.
Of the cars we've owned, every German one has had the filler on the passenger's side as has every Subie.
The Hondas have always been on the driver's side as was the lone Toyota.
Fords are a mixed bag. Our old Aerostar and the E350 have their fillers on the driver's side while the Focus has its filler on the passenger side.
The MGB had it's filler coming out from just under the trunk lid on the passengers side while the old GMs had their fillers under the license plate.
Just a little something to remember when pulling up to a pump, and something I get wrong about one time in ten.
For the record, I've never dragged a gas hose across any vehicle and I cringe when I see people do this.
Scratches are guaranteed and you'll get enough of those without this sort of unnecessary abuse, Costco's encouragement notwithstanding.

Was that picture taken in Oswego NY? I loved getting gas and snacks at that place when my stepson was in college up there.

P.S... I pulled up correctly.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Kestas said:
exranger06 said:
Of the cars we've owned, every German one has had the filler on the passenger's side as has every Subie.
The Hondas have always been on the driver's side as was the lone Toyota.

My German and Swedish cars are on the drivers side, my Japanese cars are on the passenger side......

Might have to do with the side the exhaust pipe comes out. (i.e. the other side) Reasonable design might not have the filler right over a roasting pipe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Might have to do with the side the exhaust pipe comes out. (i.e. the other side) Reasonable design might not have the filler right over a roasting pipe.

That was on a Car Talk quiz (puzzle? puzzler?). Probably has more to do with the fuel tank taking up space where the exhaust pipe (or muffler) might reside.

Edit: cars with dual exhaust of course don't have a choice--but most cars don't seem designed for dual exhaust from the get-go. [How many with duals are still a single until the rear bumper?]

Last edited:
Once upon a time I had a F250 King Cab the previous owner installed after market saddle tanks. In about 50% of the gas stations, I would have to turn the truck around to fill the offside saddle tank. In a busy station it was a PITA. I finally traded the truck. I think most stations are using longer hoses now.😕

pb050343.980x0.jpg

no, not mine. that's a benzina, mines a diesel

handbrake is on, engine is not turning over so no oil pressure and CEL stays on till started

Originally Posted By: supton
simple_gifts said:
Edit: cars with dual exhaust of course don't have a choice--but most cars don't seem designed for dual exhaust from the get-go. [How many with duals are still a single until the rear bumper?]

My car(Lincoln LS) is 100% dual from the headers to the exhaust tips, without even a crossover pipe in the mix. As far as I know, all variants of the car-both V6 and V8-are set up this way. The filler is on the passenger side.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

The MGB had it's filler coming out from just under the trunk lid on the passengers side while the old GMs had their fillers under the license plate.

I usually fill my MGB from the passenger side, but one of the nice things about the arrangement is that-combined with the narrow width of the car-it's not a big deal to fill it from either side.

One modification I've seen on a couple of cars recently is to move the fuel filler inside the trunk(or should I say boot?). It's technically not that difficult to do, as there's a big rubber hose running from the filler pipe to the top of the gas tank that's easily seen inside the trunk. I don't quite understand it, as the fuel filler on the outside(especially with a chrome cap on a chrome bumper car) doesn't look that bad. I always manage to spill a few drops of a gas when I'm filling the car, and I'd rather it land on chrome of the bumper than inside my trunk.

BTW, the exhaust on the MG DOES run down the driver side, while all the fuel related stuff(pump, lines, etc) runs down the passenger side. Of course, with the carburetors on the driver's side, the fuel line still has to make a cross over, and it happens somewhere in the region of the transmission bell housing(I think). The fuel line still ends up somewhere in the neighborhood of hot engine parts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back