An illustration of just how bad the TL pings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've complained before just how bad my TL hates the hot weather. Many others complain too. Engine is bone stock. My gas mileage has fallen to 13mpg with 100% city driving. It takes over half throttle just to stay next to traffic from a redlight. I even shut the AC off sometimes while accelerating to help it out. I've been over every possible cause and going by others' problems, it looks like some of these cars just have over aggressive timing in the heat. The 11.0 compression ratio doesn't help either.

So a week ago, I mixed half 109 unleaded with half 91 (the highest available at the pump) out of sheer frustration. I reset the MID every time I fill up, it has always been extremely accurate and dead on 13mpg for the past month. I do the same drive day after day. At the end of the week and a tank of gas, mileage has gone to 19mpg, about what the EPA rating is. It now takes 1/4 throttle or less to accelerate normal and number of downshifts are reduced since it doesn't require as much throttle. Wide open power is much better.

This mileage jump and power gain shows how bad this car is in the summer time. If it were tuned properly it should show 0 gain from this. I want to do another tank for a better average but at $75 it's too expensive.

I guess there's no real point other than to vent. I should've bought an Accord with 10.0 compression and a few extra cubes to make up for it. To be fair, I believe the VP 109 has a faster burn rate than pump 91 but that's a minor part of it.

You have a problem with your particular car. My wife's 2006 TL doesn't even ping on regular. I can feel a bit less power from the timing the computer pulls out on regular, but pinging is fully under control.

Originally Posted By: XS650
You have a problem with your particular car. My wife's 2006 TL doesn't even ping on regular. I can feel a bit less power from the timing the computer pulls out on regular, but pinging is fully under control.

Mine is one of the worst but look over on Acurazine and every summer you get the usual complaints of how the car won't get out of it's own way. Mine is pretty normal with a very slight power loss up to 100 degrees. Once it hits 105+, it's gutless.

This pinging is not audible but it shows up on a scanner.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
How about using what the car was spec'd for 5W-20.

That's not even worth a reply.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: Billy007
How about using what the car was spec'd for 5W-20.

That's not even worth a reply.

But you did
grin2.gif
11.gif

Be sure you are using factory spec blinker fluid too.
13.gif

The OP said it takes over half throttle just to stay next to traffic from a redlight. I even shut the AC off sometimes while accelerating to help it out.
For certain engines using the wrong oil makes the car runs like [censored]. I have heard stories where the cars equipped with Ford 4.6 engine run like a slug if you use anything but the 5w20. I am not familiar with the TL, but it won’t hurt to follow Honda’s recommendations.

My conclusion is that you need to clean the living heck out of your combustion chambers. Take extreme measures.

Then just run 91-92 AKI (RON+MON/2) from now on with a good synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
My conclusion is that you need to clean the living heck out of your combustion chambers. Take extreme measures.

Then just run 91-92 AKI (RON+MON/2) from now on with a good synthetic oil.

It's always a possibility with 90% of the miles being freeway that it's got some carbon buildup. With my GN being down for a few months I may steal the methanol injection off of it and run a meth/water mix through the TL for cleaning purposes. Still, 77,000 is not that many miles and the car has always had a difficult time in the heat but each year is a little worse than the last. That will give me something to do today. I should have it back to 91 by Monday or Tuesday to see if it makes a difference.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Mine is one of the worst but look over on Acurazine and every summer you get the usual complaints of how the car won't get out of it's own way. Mine is pretty normal with a very slight power loss up to 100 degrees. Once it hits 105+, it's gutless.

This pinging is not audible but it shows up on a scanner.

Gotcha, I misinterpreted what you said. Ours is my wife's car. I don't know that I have ever tried driving it hard when it was in the 105F range out. I'll try that when I get a chance, which may be a while. The weatherman doesn't show any 100+ weather here in the next two weeks.

I have been told a few good WOT runs helps keep the combustion chambers cleaner, helps blow out carbon, not sure if its true though, lol. Carbon buildup can cause pinging though as pieces of the carbon are still glowing hot as the fuel is injected and ignites before the piston is at TDC.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I have been told a few good WOT runs ...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you just described BuickGNs normal driving habits.

I have been told a few good WOT runs helps keep the combustion chambers cleaner, helps blow out carbon, not sure if its true though, lol. Carbon buildup can cause pinging though as pieces of the carbon are still glowing hot as the fuel is injected and ignites before the piston is at TDC.

Part of this may be my fault. It spent it's first 2 years as a commuter and I was very gentle on it. 65mph on cruise for 4 hours at a time. No wide open throttle unless I had to. There was an occasional run here and there, every few months but for the most part I babied it. I wonder if it's possible to have enough carbon buildup at 77,000 miles to cause a problem. It's been run on nothing but premium since new and it's never burned any measurable amount of oil.

I have been told a few good WOT runs ...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you just described BuickGNs normal driving habits.

Ha ha. I take my aggression out on the GN. I get comments from annoyed passengers all the time in the TL about my old man driving habits.

Maybe try cleaning the MAF or check the intake for air leaks. If the MAF is marginal it might work ok in cold weather and not throw an OBD code, but cause trouble at higher temps.

Originally Posted By: 2xE46
Maybe try cleaning the MAF or check the intake for air leaks. If the MAF is marginal it might work ok in cold weather and not throw an OBD code, but cause trouble at higher temps.

I wish it had a MAF sensor. Unfortunately Honda still uses a speed density system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back