Amusing computer story for a select few.

So I'm a linux user; I was always curious if I could get W10 to run on KVM (linux native virtualization); i downloaded an ISO from MS and installed with no issues, indicating "activate later"

Did some web searching and MS had an article on how to activate using the command line with some keys documented right on the site. Did that, and it shows as activated. It indicated "volume licensing" keys which I have no idea what that is.

I'm not interested in using windows, this was an exercise and I also wanted to see the ProtonVPN client for windows (pretty slick); I occasionally use ProtonVPN for linux on the command line.

To see how many connections were being made in a native windows install, I opened a cmd and did a netstat -an; seems like a lot of 443 connections to various IPs.

I notice some connections going to an NN.x.x.x address when NN is a company I used to work for. The company owns a class A address allocated to them; I was like WT.....

Did a search and found that the company, in fact, had sold off parts or all of the address space or returned it to the allocating agency; did a whois on the address and it appears MS now controls it.
Makes sense.

End of story, no.....

Relayed this to one of my coworkers who used to work for the company also. He indicated he knew the company sold it off, because some people he worked with were busy re-iping their infrastructure because the company sold it off while lines of service in the company WERE STILL USING THE ADDRESS SPACE.

I don't work for them anymore; with blunders like that maybe I'm somewhat glad.....

-T

Everybody has their favorite platform..... Also, it was always fun to try to get the most out of a class C license..... we had our ways.... I suspect volume pricing is what my son used to install an operating system on several of my computers.... yes, I own too many computers.... My favorite OS right now is Windows 7...... laugh if you want... but it has Media Center built in..... and I added a TV tuner to it and can now record TV shows from over the air which has become more important as I get older and TV gets awful...... As far as updates and security issues I have found over the years that hackers tend to ignore past/older platforms and technology but I still maintain some security on my computers..... They do what I want them to do which is what I have always told people...... get something you like, you can deal with, understand, and be happy.....I have other friends who have to run out and buy the latest and greatest.... To each his own....

Relayed this to one of my coworkers who used to work for the company also. He indicated he knew the company sold it off, because some people he worked with were busy re-iping their infrastructure because the company sold it off while lines of service in the company WERE STILL USING THE ADDRESS SPACE.

I don't work for them anymore; with blunders like that maybe I'm somewhat glad.....

-T
It is really not THAT big of a deal. The IT who reinstall windows will likely get to the wrong machines and not MS, and they will find out that these addresses should be changed. VPN will let your old workplace's machine go to the internal machines instead of to MS. Sooner or later they will find a way to work around them by gradually changing IP address or if not, wrap them around a NAT to keep them working in those 10.X.X.X addresses.

I do like the idea that most companies do not use public ip internally, it is such a waste of our finite resources.

Previous company I worked for had a Class B like that. It belonged to the competitor across the street, but it was a really important Class B, so we overstayed on it for years. It was in too many security plans to move. (A lesson about security is in there somewhere.)

Back