Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now I'm probably jumping the gun here a bit, but I recently switched to Amsoil after running Castrol GTX 5w-30 for over 100k miles. People at work & my friends would think I'm nuts, so I gotta post it here.

My dipstick has had a varnish on it for quite a while. I think I first noticed it around 30k miles. Today after only 500 miles with Amsoil I checked the oil & noticed the varnish was begining to disapear. The edges are a brite silver color now.

Like I said, I know I'm probably excited for nothing, but I when I found this good news I had to tell somebody.
gr_stretch.gif

Congratulations. You have discovered the solvating properties of synthetic oil. Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.

In reference to piston powered airplanes, I read one persons opinion (perhaps it is fact, I don't know that field) that varnishing on engine parts by the oil was actually desireable, as it acted as a corrosion inhibitor. Therefore, this person did not like synthetics as it did not varnish engine parts.
wink.gif

Crazy stories aside, I think the phenomenon you are witnessing is a good thing, and worth getting excited about. Imagine how much other engine parts are benefiting!

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
My dipstick has had a varnish on it for quite a while. I think I first noticed it around 30k miles. Today after only 500 miles with Amsoil I checked the oil & noticed the varnish was begining to disapear. The edges are a brite silver color now.

Medic,

You've probably been reading my posts on the F150 board for over 2 years now, posting about the benifits and such. I'm glad you get to see them for yourself.

Wait until this winter, when you have to start it in the sub freezing temps.

One thing, make sure you do a filter change early, this will ensure that your oil filter is not over loaded, and also the replacement oil will top off your additive package. I can bet that even though it's Amsoil, it's working overtime cleaining up your engine.

Good Luck
patriot.gif

I highly recommend using AutoRX before switching a high mileage engine to Amsoil. I have had excellent results with the Amsoil 20 minute engine flush in dozens of moderately dirty engines, but the AutoRX run for 500 miles does an even more thorough job.

TooSlick

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I highly recommend using AutoRX before switching a high mileage engine to Amsoil. I have had excellent results with the Amsoil 20 minute engine flush in dozens of moderately dirty engines, but the AutoRX run for 500 miles does an even more thorough job.

TooSlick

I know. The problem is that I ordered the AMSOIL, filters, and engine flush prior to finding out about AutoRX. I was in a bit of a hurry to drain the old Castrol & replace it with the AMSOIL (kinda like a kid on Christmas morning) so I just used the AMSOIL engine flush. I'm pretty much convinced that my engine didn't have alot of oil slugde build up because I can see in the oil fill. I think it was mostly varnish. The AMSOIL flush didn't do much for this varnish. I didn't expect it to after reading about it on here. I guess I'm just happy to see the varnish being removed.

Now if AMSOIL would produce a larger oil filter to fit my F150 I would be really happy. (I know, size doesn't alway matter).

quote:

Originally posted by nicrfe1370:
In reference to piston powered airplanes, I read one persons opinion (perhaps it is fact, I don't know that field) that varnishing on engine parts by the oil was actually desireable, as it acted as a corrosion inhibitor. Therefore, this person did not like synthetics as it did not varnish engine parts.

How often do you see corrosion on internal engine parts?

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
Originally posted by TooSlick:
[qb]
Now if AMSOIL would produce a larger oil filter to fit my F150 I would be really happy. (I know, size doesn't alway matter).
You can always put on a dual remote filter system. I just changed out my SDF 26, which is the largest filter that will fit on the system, holds over 1 quart. As a matter of fact I went down on this change to an SDF 15(same size as the old ford FL1's) Reason being, that it would be less makeup oil for me to replace, and the filter is something like $4 cheaper than the 26. I'll give this a try for a few times to see how my analysis works out. I'm thinking becuase of the less expense I'll be able to change my filter more often. Like every 6 months or so like I'm supposed to be doing(I've been going between 1 year and 8 months now between filter changes)

quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan Erwin:

quote:

Originally posted by nicrfe1370:

How often do you see corrosion on internal engine parts?

On aircraft that are flown infrequently, quite often. Piston aircraft engines have an entirely different operational environment, so any comparisons aren't really fair, but corrosion is a serious issue for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back