Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use their products and have been for years but not exclusively as I use and try other vendors products as well.

I see many people in different forums saying the claims Amosil makes about their products are not true. They say many of their products have not been though industry standards qualification processes and the test results they post are not accurate as they paid for the testing. It could be me but it seems I am seeing a rise of people with this opinion.

On the other hand I see oil Analysis on the forum for Amsoil that look pretty good as well as the analysis I have had done are not to bad.

My question is

Is Amsoil a superior product that can take the abuse for extended intervals, provide superior protection and not sheer out of grade or is it like the doubters say just hype.

And are the test results they post bias or bought?

I am trying to figure out if I should continue to use their products or switch to something more affordable like Rotella. If the quality and added protection is truly there I do not mind paying a bit more but if it is not why waste my hard earned dollars.

Last edited:
Amsoil is a great product and I doubt it would let you down. There are other great products out there as well. Whether it is a superior product depends on the application it is being used for.

Although I am not an AMSOIL user, I do think their testing data reflects accurate numbers on all the products tested. They are the only company that actually identifies the product compared with batch number too. The tests are certified to be true and are suseptible to liable suites should they be fraudulent. I'm not aware of any AMSOIL test that has been challenged in court in order to force AMSOIL to retract their test results. That speaks for itself IMO.

Why don't I use their products even though I think they are probably superior to most other products on the market?
Because I just haven't been able to join the extended drain club yet, and probaly never will. I look forward to oil changes too much I guess. It would be a waste to ever fill one of my vehicles with AMSOIL, since it will be drained too soon.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
I use their products and have been for years but not exclusively as I use and try other vendors products as well.

I see many people in different forums saying the claims Amosil makes about their products are not true. They say many of their products have not been though industry standards qualification processes and the test results they post are not accurate as they paid for the testing. It could be me but it seems I am seeing a rise of people with this opinion.

On the other hand I see oil Analysis on the forum for Amsoil that look pretty good as well as the analysis I have had done are not to bad.

My question is

Is Amsoil a superior product that can take the abuse for extended intervals, provide superior protection and not sheer out of grade or is it like the doubters say just hype.

And are the test results they post bias or bought?

I am trying to figure out if I should continue to use their products or switch to something more affordable like Rotella. If the quality and added protection is truly there I do not mind paying a bit more but if it is not why waste my hard earned dollars.

I think most people respect the basic "quality" of Amsoil, but certifications are not that simple. One of the certifications that Amsoil 100% Synthetic does not claim to meet (we can argue about whether this is because of the cost of the certs or something else) is the API Energy Conserving Formula (or Starburst label) rating. An oil that provides maximum protection does not necessarily have an easy time meeting the Starburst designation. For example, up until the last couple years Mobil 1 EP (Extended Protection) oils had the same issue with the Starburst rating until they changed the formula. There also may be some additives such as too much ZDDP (or something else) that helps provide excellent protection, but causes certification problems (I am not sure about this since the formula is obviously proprietary).

Keep in mind that some of these certifications are not intended to provide maximum engine protection, they may try to balance engine protection with lower pollution, protection of the emission system, or better fuel mileage. That's why the whole certification issue with "high quality" non-certified botique oils like Amsoil is so tricky.

Whether or not there is product you could switch to depends on your OCI and the particulars of your engine make and model (with associated requirements for oil grade and manufacturer requirements, etc).

Originally Posted By: rraiderr

Yes, for extended intervals it is a superior oil to most.

Amsoil is a superb oil for sure,i have some in stash and do use it here and there but the price and the fact that i can't get it OTC is what keeps me from using it more.

There is currently no magic oil. Oil should be purchased on getting your money's worth out of it. It does little in terms of savings to use cheap oil over short intervals. Don't spend a dime that you don't have to ..but make sure you check your scale of economy.

As far as additive levels and current spec's. These evolutions are centered in policy and are surely balanced for how they impact many things.

Let's ponder this for a moment ..in regard to "policy". How much total ZDDP does one process through your engine doing 3k/3m oil changes with an SM oil ..doing 12k/year? If those volatile elements are truly poisoning your cat, aren't you poisoning it MORE than if you ran 1.5 times the toxins for ONE OCI?

If there's any sensible reasoning to the above suggestion, then we're seeing "policy" implemented to reduce additive impact given the behavioral tendencies of the market. It also doesn't directly interfere with Joe's Quicklube marketing of 3k/3m ..but in whatever damage is being done to emissions systems, that damage is being reduced.

We're being "managed" for the mass of consumers that we are ..and with good cause given the possible goals of the management.

This site just shows why we have so many choices in life. You have your Amsoil lovers and Amsoil bashers. Just like we have choices like Pepsi, Coke or generic cola. I drink only Pepsi and would not buy Coke,(brand loyality) some buy generic cola because it's a lot cheaper. We even have different version of the Bible ie. King James , Niv etc.

I like Amsoil products and the company and the people who run it. Their the little guy up against the monsters like Exxon-Mobil

I use Amsoil in my wife's SUV for extended OCI's (but RLI in the 2001 Saturn and Mobil 1 when I change it in the 1996, all at annual OCI's).

Anytime and anything I have ever read on Amsoil products consider them 'top tier'I've used their products in anything that required lube/oil/grease for years(15 or so)that includes diesel trucks,tractor hydrulics,wheel bearings,gas cars/trucks.I find their prices a bit on the high side but they ARE considered and proven to be 'top tier'.I LIKE to be able shop on line and get big brown to delivery.I find OTC to be a royal pain and a waste of time.I have shopped 'others'but have not found the LINE of products offered as complete and the ease of shopping not so easy.

I use Amsoil in the manual tranny and rear differential and all I can say is that it`s amazing stuff! Simply the best stuff I`ve ever used in those applications.

I have been using Amsoil for quite some time now and in my application nothing is as good for flow and the superb UOA's I get back than Amsoil. I have also used M1, Pennzoil Platinum and Shell oils with great success.

In my application at this present time Amsoil takes the cake and that's why I keep using it.

In my next vehicle I will experiment with all my favourite oil choices again to see whats the most economical for my driving conditions and as per the UOA's and real-world performance I see.

Because there is no Magic "One Size Fits All" oil out there that outdoes everyone in every category and if there was I'm sure Amsoil would be close to the top, if not the top.
wink.gif

I think this is the best approach for me.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Oil should be purchased on getting your money's worth out of it. It does little in terms of savings to use cheap oil over short intervals. Don't spend a dime that you don't have to ..but make sure you check your scale of economy.

Gary nailed it. I just did the math and 15k changes on amsoil with shipping & tax is $39.75 for me. Three changes of locally purchased non-syn oil changed at 5k miles cost me $51.75 without tax. I can also purchase Amsoil OTC at NAPA and Carquest in a pinch.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Oil should be purchased on getting your money's worth out of it. It does little in terms of savings to use cheap oil over short intervals. Don't spend a dime that you don't have to ..but make sure you check your scale of economy.

Gary nailed it. I just did the math and 15k changes on amsoil with shipping & tax is $39.75 for me. Three changes of locally purchased non-syn oil changed at 5k miles cost me $51.75 without tax. I can also purchase Amsoil OTC at NAPA and Carquest in a pinch.

Does that include filters? 15k changes would use 1/3 the filters which is a big cost savings.

After my warranty is up, and my PP stash, I'll most likely go back to extended drains with Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: jerre310
This site just shows why we have so many choices in life. You have your Amsoil lovers and Amsoil bashers. Just like we have choices like Pepsi, Coke or generic cola. I drink only Pepsi and would not buy Coke,(brand loyality) some buy generic cola because it's a lot cheaper. We even have different version of the Bible ie. King James , Niv etc.

I like Amsoil products and the company and the people who run it. Their the little guy up against the monsters like Exxon-Mobil

I have not seen any Amsoil "bashers." Having a frank and honest discussion about certifications is not bashing, and Amsoil 100% synthetics certainly provide excellent engine protection.

I assume you realize that when you purchase Amsoil, you are also putting $ in the pockets of Exxon-Mobil?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I use Amsoil in the manual tranny and rear differential and all I can say is that it`s amazing stuff! Simply the best stuff I`ve ever used in those applications.

thumbsup2.gif
I use it in the rear differential of my Toyota pickup and Silverado pickup. I use it in the old 4 speed trans in the Toyota. I also use their motorcycle oil.

Originally Posted By: webfors

Does that include filters? 15k changes would use 1/3 the filters which is a big cost savings.

After my warranty is up, and my PP stash, I'll most likely go back to extended drains with Amsoil.

Yes filters included. One EAO filter is slightly less then 3 mid priced store bought filters depending on what you buy. Napa gold filters cost more so 2 Napa golds cost more then 1 EAO for me. I have bought Total Grips at advance auto on sale which is cheaper. On the whole though sales on oil and filters are few and far between for me. The last good oil sale around here was when advance had BOGO on PP 2-3 years ago now.

MARK88, Yes I realize that Amsoil put $'s in Exxon-Mobils pockets, but that really wasn't my point. They also put $'s into Wix's pockets but in the long run they come out with a better product.

Yes there are people who do bash Amsoil on this site. I have been reading commments here for a long time. (my main example is probably how they trash the marketing program that Amsoil uses. But it has worked very well for a small growing company like Amsoil, which given a great opportunity for many people) Overall most are fair.

Originally Posted By: jerre310
MARK88, Yes I realize that Amsoil put $'s in Exxon-Mobils pockets, but that really wasn't my point. They also put $'s into Wix's pockets but in the long run they come out with a better product.

Yes there are people who do bash Amsoil on this site. I have been reading commments here for a long time. (my main example is probably how they trash the marketing program that Amsoil uses. But it has worked very well for a small growing company like Amsoil, which given a great opportunity for many people) Overall most are fair.

OK, I agree that some people may bash the Amsoil marketing, or website, or whatever, but the quality of the oil is rarely bashed. Now some people (myself included) have questioned the certifications, but the certs usually deal with issues like fuel mileage and emissions, and if you don't care about those then it is certainly a very fine oil. There are obviously discussions about the warranty impacts, but again, that is not to take away from anything about the quality of engine protection that Amsoil 100% Synthetic provides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back