Amsoil XL series(5W20) or Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are superior oils IMO. I would use either with same amount of confidence.
thumbsup2.gif

Edit: Both are kinda overkill in that engine, as this engine is relatively easy on oil so you could get away with a good quality Dino and just change at a shorter interval.

Last edited:
The Amsoil XL series is a great API rated oil and puts up some very good UOA numbers here. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a bad UOA with that oil. Your application is exactly what it was designed for.

But truthfully, you could use either oil you mentioned for 7500 miles with zero problems.

Change shorter then 6 months or less then 7500 miles? I sure don't want to go that route.The LIFETIME warranty requires by the manual 6 months or when the Oil Change Required light comes on which is based on hours/duty cycle.That might be as high as what? 7k? Whats the performance difference between those two oils?

I understand the Ams 7500 is a GRP 3 oil and a good one from what I here. M1 is a blend Of grp 3-4-5 capable of going 10,000 miles on an OCI with no problems. I've done it for 31 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hounddog
Change shorter then 6 months or less then 7500 miles? I sure don't want to go that route.The LIFETIME warranty requires by the manual 6 months or when the Oil Change Required light comes on which is based on hours/duty cycle.That might be as high as what? 7k? Whats the performance difference between those two oils?
I was just giving you different options. I would go with either oil equally. The Amsoil might cost you more than the M1 and the M1 is more widely available at stores whereas Amsoil in most cases has to be ordered to your door or from your local dealer.

I would use either with the same confidence, as posted above.
thumbsup2.gif

Id go with what is cheaper and more readily available. Can't go wrong with either - UOA will be the deciding factor performance-wise.

That may add a bit more complexity to the question... How would they know, 10 years from now, if you changed it the instant the light turned on, vs. 500 miles after? There has to be some flexibility in changing between when the light turns on and when it is REALLY due.

Does it state a percentage life left?

The XL line is designed for competition with the 3k/3m quick lube marketing model. It allows a consumer to have the confidence to break out of the prison and go the full factory OEM recommendation up to 6months/7500 miles. Most consumers don't exceed this and most OEM's don't either.

It's a great product for those who fall into that frequency of service.

The XL line is good oil i've used it, but so is M1, plus it's cheap and OTC at WM for $22..with no waiting or $$ on shipping.

I don't like shopping or WM.I order 90% of everything so THAT is not a factor.Shipping beats the fuel used to go to WM and the miserable checkout.Big Brown delivers with no hassle.Now back too the oil.How do they compare to one another?

I don't like shopping or WM.I order 90% of everything so THAT is not a factor.Shipping beats the fuel used to go to WM and the miserable checkout.Big Brown delivers with no hassle.

Sounds like you made your choice??? pull the trigger on the XL then.
21.gif

Under the specified criteria, I see no distinct advantage that either has. It would tend to be my choice (XL) where I'm not willing to exceed the mileage or time restraints of the OEM recommendation.

I can offer nothing in the way of what the chemical makeup of either oil is. I have, however, used both before and have some conclusions of my own. I feel the Amsoil is a tad expensive for a group III oil.....but I would say it's not WAY out of line given it's record of excellent analysis. I suppose the same can be said for the Mobil 1 (but the cost is probably lower). Nobody really knows for sure what Mobil 1 uses, in percentage form, as the base stocks. From what I've discovered, using both oils, is that the Mobil 1 DID cause my particular two engines MORE chatter and audible engine noise that the Amsoil XL did. This isn't to say that Mobil 1 is causing wear issues but regardless, that was what I experienced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I can offer nothing in the way of what the chemical makeup of either oil is. I have, however, used both before and have some conclusions of my own. I feel the Amsoil is a tad expensive for a group III oil.....but I would say it's not WAY out of line given it's record of excellent analysis. I suppose the same can be said for the Mobil 1 (but the cost is probably lower). Nobody really knows for sure what Mobil 1 uses, in percentage form, as the base stocks. From what I've discovered, using both oils, is that the Mobil 1 DID cause my particular two engines MORE chatter and audible engine noise that the Amsoil XL did. This isn't to say that Mobil 1 is causing wear issues but regardless, that was what I experienced.

Must be your engine design. No one has used more M1 oils than I have and it's very quite in my Fords. That's my experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
No one has used more M1 oils than I have and it's very quite in my Fords. That's my experience.

I've got to be close runner up,been using it for over 20 years,thats alot of M1!
LOL.gif
11.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: tig1
No one has used more M1 oils than I have and it's very quite in my Fords. That's my experience.

I've got to be close runner up,been using it for over 20 years,thats alot of M1!
LOL.gif
11.gif
thumbsup2.gif

My first M1 change was 1978 in Maine. M1 5-20 in the silver metal cans. Put it in a 78 Dodge slant 6. Lots of M1.
since then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back